Spam and Ads seem to be increasing steadily

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by JBRUU, Aug 31, 2012.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Is it just me, or do I see a ton more "click me to watch the Bourne legacy" or "click here to view iPod cases" posts than usual in general discussion and upcoming? I report all of these posts immediately, but it is getting pretty tiresome looking at them so often. I have a proposal: why not have a waiting period for new members, say, a week or so, before they can create new threads, or perhaps until they've posted a certain number of times? Possible that might help a little with all this spam. Just a suggestion :eek:

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's just you, we've been under constant spam attack for close to a year now. They get deleted as fast as we can manage them. Placing restrictions on registrations is only going to harm how fast the TouchArcade forums run when it comes to posting new/useful/interesting games. I'd rather deal with spam than have a developer sitting on their hands for a week before they can post about their game.

3. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I agree with Hodapp, we don't need a registration restrictions. They would just create other problems. But I do think that there may be a bigger underlying problem here and that would be that I am not able to do anything about it myself. Sure, "they get deleted as fast as we can manage them" but it takes a while sometimes. Now If I was doing it, people like JBRUU wouldn't even notice the spam. If the bat, yeah THE BAT, can become a MOD, and all those Spam Police can be appointed, then I should be able to become Editor-in-Chief of TA! :rolleyes:

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Biggest "wink wink nudge nudge" I've seem in a long time.

We already have a ton of Spam Police and mods, it's just some of them don't post often anymore.

5. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    Hahahaha, I am just messing with ya. I don't need those titles.
    I was just suprised by all of the TA people who became some type of TA regulator.
    You will become a Spam Police or MOD way before I am even considered.
    I know Hodapp and TA will never make me anything except TA trash collector or something along those lines. Why? I don't exactly know why, but that is just how it is and I am ok with that.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I haven't seen you much around the forums, so I wouldn't really know why. I'm sure there's a reason.

I don't have 10k posts or have been registered for years, so spam police or mod is a little out of the question. Anyway, my reason for making the thread was to suggest another way to fight spam. It's just annoying seeing it every time I go to TA. Well, I thought it (waiting times) was a brilliant idea at the time.

7. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    See spam. Don't click. Problem solved.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    No, do click, then click report post ;)

9. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I have to agree with that. Ever since I joined the spam police I hardly post anymore... or well just a lot less then I used too

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Why was Sanuku's post removed? That was funny...

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I have removed tons of Spam but honestly I don't see it as often anymore and I visit this site multiple times a day. I think the system in place is working.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We have tons of threads for posting stupid images.

13. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Stings brah

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'm sure you already know this, but the spam just goes in cycles it seems. Maybe once a week or so there'll be a bunch of them, then it's quiet until the next "cycle". Or maybe it's just don't see most of it. I dunno, just seems as though spam has been, in general, on the rise since I first started visiting this site. (joined maybe a year after I first started visiting)