Universal SPACEPLAN (by Devolver Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 4, 2017.

1. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Think I'll hold out for the sequel...

2. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Someone give this guy a ****ing medal.

Also, there seems to be a rather interesting interpretation of the word 'hype' in this thread. 'Hype' ≠ 'Praise'.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Well that's the point, the game is based on a misunderstanding. But yes in theory you could turn the sun into a black hole, it's just the aspect of getting enough mass that makes it difficult, and that's where the game has fun with it.

And destroying the earth would be counterintuitive considering you're trying to save it, and are using it as a means of travel

4. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    I'm at a loss as to how people are finishing this in a couple of hours. I really am. Unless they're not really finishing it?

Or unless I'm just very stupid, which I don't really think I am.

I'm still ploughing on and enjoying every minute of the silliness and I obviously don't want to write any spoilers.

5. cyllwynn

cyllwynn Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2011
    It's a great game. Funny story. It is short though.YMMV. But it's pretty short. I do feel like for such a great combination of clicker, story, and a couple of cool side games they really could've done something with the per Stege system to allow you to have a much longer experience. I feel like that was a missed opportunity. I really wish I could keep point. Beyond that… Absolutely Worth three bucks.

6. batmessiah

batmessiah Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    R&D Lab Technician
    Seriously, that's what I'm wondering as well. I played it for a good 5+ hours straight last night, and still haven't beat it. Great take on the clicker genre for sure!

7. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Yeah, I was wondering if I was playing it wrong as well.... I didn't see any way to speed it up other than constantly clicking, which I did for like 3 hours (hey, I wanted to see what was next!). I finally just left it on to hear the music while I worked and checked in on it every once in a while. I didn't time the whole thing, but it was over 5 hours.

Having said that, I loved the humor (not a hero is a great platformer btw - they made an auto dialog generator that hilarious), loved the graphics, loved the story. The clicking is purely incidental. I love this crop of games lately that are crossing the traditional boundaries between art/game (David O'Rielly comes to mind). They have always been around, but I like that at least some of them are getting more exposure.

Anyone looking for a "game" here will be disappointed. Although we should request a speed run timer... that would be funny!

8. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    There's very little actual clicking to be done for the vast majority of the game. It's all about the upgrades.

That said, I'm in the "2 hours, how?" camp so I'm clearly no pro.

Love it, btw.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah this took me a whole weekend to beat. Not sure how anyone finishes this game in two hours unless those two hours are spent doing this:

Also, lol'd hard at people describing this game as "hyped."

10. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Great video Eli... this is what my finger looks like after a weekend of Spaceplan.

Attached Files:

11. damirK

damirK New Member

May 8, 2017
    I am having this same problem (iPhone 7+). Tried rebooting phone and not help. Haven't tried to delete and reinstall the game but i am fear that will cause me to lose my progress.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

13. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    Beat this game today and starting a replay now. Amazing game but I wish it was a little longer. I honestly wouldn't have minded a little more typical clicker progression loop. However, it was money well spent and I hope the Dev uses the earnings to make an expansion or new game in the same universe. Bravo! Don't buy or not buy based on the "clicker" aspect. There is way more story to this than any clicker out there. Buy this if you like sci-fi space games with a cool story.

14. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Just when I thought I had reached the end... just BRILLIANT!!! What an awesome game! It does clicker the right way. Excellent job Devs!

15. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Nice experience.

This game is fantastic. Totally worth it, despite the genre it belongs to ("Clicker" might scare some people). If anyone who reads this is hesitant to purchase it, you can get a glimpse of what the game has to offer by checking the web prototype (which is free).

Really enjoyed it.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We hit on this on last week's (this week's, I guess?) podcast, but the more I think about Spaceplan as a game experience the more that I like that I was able to complete it over a weekend. Most, if not all clickers have no end-game. "Modern" clickers introduce a prestige system where you keep some level of your persistent upgrades and have you start over, which is cool, but just really artificially inflates how much content a clicker actually has. Foursaken's War Tortoise was an idle game that embraced the prestige system particularly well, for instance.

With all these games though, they never have an end. You just play them until you get bored or otherwise hit a point where you can prestige and your persistent upgrades just make you automatically win the game again and again in less than ten minutes. The long tail on most clickers, even good ones, is always disappointing. Hell, Bitcoin Billionaire is up there on my list of favorite clickers, and I loved playing it when it first came out. It just sucks that I was so stoked for Bitcoin Billionaire when it was released, but have no recollection of when I stopped playing it because I just eventually got bored and went back to the game less and less until it got relegated to some forgotten folder and eventually deleted.

Spaceplan on the other hand, felt incredibly refreshing because it ended. It's honestly the first clicker that I've had conversations with friends about because it ended, and the ending was worth talking about. Compare that to, "Are you still playing Bitcoin Billionaire? No? Me neither." Single player games seem to get so much flak these days when they have a short campaign, but with how many more games there are out there to play these days, I'll always take a fantastic and concise experience over something that drags on forever or otherwise has playtime that has been artificially inflated to meet some kind of dollars to hours of gameplay ratio the internet has arbitrarily deemed as acceptable.

Portal for the PC is one of the best games I've ever played, and is incredibly memorable because it's only three hours long. They introduce an awesome mechanic, use it in a number of different ways, then end with a punch. Imagine how forgettable Portal would be if it was like, "OK here's your portal gun, now complete the first 1,000 level pack and get three stars before moving on to the next."

And, hell, if you want to play some endless clicker that doesn't have an end, well, you can do that for free.

17. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    This sums up perfectly how I feel about short concise games. With so many games in the Appstore and so little time to play them I love discovering short little gems like this. I just finished in the last few minutes and I am going to jump back in and replay it straight away. I also loved the humour in this. Comedy can be hit or miss but in this case it worked for me. Also in this game there were times I found that clicking and staring at the minimalist visuals while listening to the excellent music was almost zen like :) Highly recommended.

18. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    #98 Wrath, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    I think if SPACEPLAN had taken me another week I would've felt more of an accomplishment, lol.

19. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    This was a great game that just ended too soon to me. It seemed like it was getting batter and better as you progressed and then the ending..

I felt like is was worth the money and was really good but I wished I had not not enjoyed it so much when it ended lol. I wanted to do more and see more story.

20. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I would add just one thing. Make sure you have a good set of headphones on for the end. It was stunning #