Universal SPACEPLAN (by Devolver Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 4, 2017.

1. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Wow! That ending, I saw the guy who made this made another game. It's called "Not a Hero". I seriously need more from this guy, now.

2. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Nerd alert! I want to talk about the feasibility of one particular plot point of this game. SPOILERS:

How could you actually turn the sun into a black hole? The game uses spud guns but I don't know if you could ever physically CREATE enough mass to do what you do in this game.

Wouldn't the mass production of anything on the planet's surface/orbit essentially just be reassembling the mass of the Earth with the absorbed energy of the Sun? Wouldn't you be better off just dropping the Earth into the Sun and seeing it grow by... 1/3000th of a percent?

I'm especially surprised to see that in just a few shots, the 7 other planets all sink into the sun. ha ha ha

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game =D but it gets me wondering about what it'd take to do one or two of these things in real life. (asking for a friend)

3. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Same! I just don't get how anyone can get any enjoyment out of these kinda"games". Gave this one a shot, but still very much feel the same way.. ah well, to each their own I guess.

4. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    #64 Mince0, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    You need a lot too smoke I guess

5. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Is there an option where I can switch on "graphics" ?? :(

6. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I don't usually play mindless clicker games because I find them utterly boring and pointless. SPACEPLAN intrigued me due to its interesting design and UI, but the price point scared me off a bit. After reading reviews and realizing that it had an actual ending I decided to take a chance. I am so glad I did. This game actually had me hooked. My OCD went through the roof.... which is partly why I tend to avoid these games. This game left me thoroughly satisfied. I picked it up Friday and finished it this morning. The story is beyond wacky and borders on just plain dumb, but it's still a lot of fun.

7. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Interesting but short. Not a clicker in the standard sense. There is an ending, and it comes sooner than you want. The 'clicky' area is incredibly small though I feel like that might be purposeful. Frustrating mechanically at times, but amusing and filled with awesome music.

I love some story to actually give me some purpose to my clicking, so that was nice. Just be aware that there's next to no replayability.

Potato.

8. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I think .99 would be a better price point for this game.

1) the clicker genre is really quite basic to begin with, (but at least this one doesn't require constant clicking) and

2) way too short. I'm basing that solely on my own experiences - PC, console, handheld or mobile - I cannot recall EVER having finished a game! Until this morning. If my short attention span can finish this game, ANYone can. And in no time at all.

I liked it though, and coincidentally enough had been considering another of the developer's games (Reigns) but was hoping that one would be replayable and not just a once through, but doesn't sound like it is.

9. Devolver is is the publisher, not the developer, and Reigns has a lot of replay value. It's much more of a game.

10. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    So if I merely start it & keep it in background, the game will continue to gain watts?

11. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    Yes. It's how I got most of my earnings.

12. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Game of the Year!

13. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I don't usually go out of my way to criticize games but I feel like I spent 3 bucks on a tech demo here. Barely 30 minutes of "active" game time, the rest spent offline waiting for watts to accumulate. With the minuscule little touch area the game isn't a clicker in any sense of the word. The story is nonsensical, bordering on a practical joke.

I could get a lot more harsh but I'll leave it at that.

14. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I'm very intrigued by the polarizing opinions this app is generating. Even Devolver calls it an experiment, generally avoiding the label of "game"

I happen to have enjoyed watching the story unfold, but agree it was over too soon. It was a charming distraction, more akin to opening a present with several layers of wrapping than anything deeper.

I suppose it you went into this hoping it would change your mind on clickers or be somewhat profound, you were bound to be disappointed.

15. I mean, look at all the hype...

16. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    It was nice for the story and atmosphere. There really isn't much of a "game" to this.

I'm not sure how to rate this overall. I'd give it 4 stars for the non-game stuff and 2 stars for the game.

17. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    My 3 bucks bought a mocha and I only got about 10 minutes out of it. I would like my money back.

So far I enjoy this game. It is a little different and you are really not quite sure where they are going with it but the story keeps you going. I like space stuff too so if you don't care about that you might not like it. I am having more fun peeking in and out of it then staying on it tapping.

18. overhaug

overhaug New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Wow. Just wow (but way too short).

19. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I'm having problems opening the app - it just stays on a black screen. It has been working fine up until now. Anyone else having the same problem?

20. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    LOL at mention of 'hype.' Yes, two TA articles and GotW (which goes out of the way to admit is sometimes a controversial pick) is tons of hype!

If you've casually browsed this thread and/or read the review, I don't understand how you could buy this and feel ripped off. Here, I'll make this super easy for you:

Do you like clickers? Stop reading and buy.
    Do you like clickers but aren't sure about spending $3? You'll probably enjoy your purchase.
    Do you not like clickers, but you enjoy a fun, wacky story? You might like this!
    Do you just hate clickers on principle? Why are you even reading this?

There.