Space Tripper...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TrueAxis, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    Everybody who who has sent me a udid, I'll be in touch with you soon once the next Beta update is ready. I've come down with the worse case of the flu I have had in years so it has slowed me down a little. Sorry for not keeping everybody updated.

2. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I feel your pain, I've also got the worst flu I've ever had. Take your time, get better. We don't want a sick dev messing up the game :)

3. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Ok, a bit of an update...

Today I implemented all the render changes in the code base so that the iPhone 3gs runs rock solid at 60fps. Also, I put back in the different blend modes for the particles so that smoke looks like smoke and such and made that more efficient.

Luke and I have updated how campaign mode works, so that your progress will be saved between worlds. This breaks the worlds into chunks so the player does not get punished by always starting them on level 1... It makes the game more playable while on the move :)

I'm not sure when Luke will release the next build... Maybe the weekend or early next week but rest assured we are moving along nicely.

4. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I just updated to the iOS5 SKD after reports of crashes on iOS5 devices. Ran into one little hick up, but is compiling and running now. Just need to test on an iOS5 updated device now.

I will try to get a Beta out to everybody who is waiting in the next couple days.

5. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Looking forward to the beta, and hearing from you. Hope all is well. :)

6. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Having some troubles with a bug that only shows up in iOS5 which has been holding things up. We will try to work around it for the moment I think so we can get a new Beta build out.

7. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Okay, hope you can get it squashed or get a successful workaround in place. Definitely looking forward to this. :)

8. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    That bug was splattered into next week :) Both Luke and I were looking at it for a day - then we both gave up. Then I managed to fix it a few day's later.

Anyway, there will probably be a new build soon. There's been a few structure changes in the last week and the game will be more or less what is in the beta now. We have also added Game Centre in as well.

9. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've just put out a new Beta build. This one is pretty close to a release candidate. If you are waiting for the Beta, then you should have a PM from me now.

We are feeling very very close to releasing now!

10. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #150 MystikSun, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Wait, are you guys the people that made Astro Tripper on Steam? I was just asking because the two look similar.

Like, what I'm asking is: Does PomPom=True Axis, or are some people from PomPom working with you, or are you getting permission from PomPom, etc.

Just for the random head knowledge ^_^

11. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #151 luketrueaxis, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    Space Tripper is an older PC game by PomPom that was updated for psn with new HD graphics and fx and re-named Astro Tripper. Astro Tripper is now coming out on Steam.We are porting Space Tripper to iPhone with PomPom's permission. Andy Coates, who did most of the work on the port for True Axis, also helped out on Mutant Storm Reloaded and Mutant Storm Empire for PomPom. Andy has moved on from True Axis now, but has been helping with the final push to finish this off.

12. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    is there any cool scoring system like espgaluda ii or dodonpachi R?
    The game looks really neat and I still hope for a soon release (like last year)

13. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    The scoring system is an old school affair - shoot baddies and get points. There are two types of weapons - spread (red) forward (blue). These weapons can be powered up by collecting pickups that get released by baddies that have died. Finish the level as quickly as possible and be rewarded with a time bonus. Like I said this is an old school style shoot em up.

The game is so close to been complete now - miracles of miracles - with just a few bugs to fix.

The pre-release video has been done and will be released in the next couple of days. Luke did a nice job on the video :)

So hopefully if we don't get any more major bugs this will be submitted early next week.

14. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I've just tested the game on an iPhone 4s and analysed it's performance - that device has so much power it's not even breaking out in a sweat at 60fps.

To compare the iPhone 3gs is running through hoops to run at 60fps.

15. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    If all goes well with testing this weekend the game will be submitted on Monday.

16. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    We will be submitting any day now. Here is a new trailer showing off all the space tripper crazyness on iOS.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    looks awesome :) probably a day 1 buy :D

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    As a beta-tester, thanks for making this universal (hope I am not bleaching any agreement here), and if I had any comments, should I PM you guys or write an email?

19. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    An email would be preferred, other wise a PM.

The agreement on the beta download is mostly just there to make sure everybody knows that the beta is for testing, and not for uploading on a pirate site. I would expect this is pretty obvious to anybody using this forum but, after over 10 years making games, I've learn't to never assume anything about users. Some people try to play games in very unexpected ways.

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    God that looks awesome. I can't believe a release for this game is almost here!