Space Tripper...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TrueAxis, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm glad you like it so far :) The final build from the beta had a few tweaks in it and made unlocking of the score attack levels a bit easier.

Anyway, I've taken the day off today - resting - by buying a new desk for my office space and assembling it only to find I was missing 4 bolts and had to go back to the shop. Building a desk or converting Space Tripper has been frustrating. But satisfying that both are finished now ;)

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Still not there yet?! Darn!

BTW, any tips to beat that thing on Stage 3 is much appreciated.

4. mr_marts

mr_marts Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I too have been hoping and waiting for a release for this game is there going to be an introductory price if not whats the expected price.

5. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    It is easier to stay near the middel of the level rather then go to the ends, but watch out for the arrival of the spider boss when it falls from above.
    You can kill the spider by shooting in its mouth when it opens up.
    Shoot off all the spiders weapons on the front, then when the spider jumps, go under it, but stay close and don't run away (If you run away, you will have to wait for the spider to chase after you which will waste time) When the mouth opens, shoot inside, but make sure you dodge the lazer it shoots.

It will be launched at full price $3.99 in the US.

6. mr_marts

Oct 21, 2008
    I'am from australia so i take it we will be getting it too! and is the app awaiting approval from apple or is it still in the beta testing phase. Anyways fingers crossed we will see a release late november or early december the suspense is killing me :D

7. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    #187 luketrueaxis, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    Bad News! Apple just rejected Space Tripper because of problem in OpenFeint which conflicts with Apple's latest review procedure. We got an email from OpenFeint warning us about 3 hours after apple rejected us.

Apple apparently started enforcing this on Nov 10th, so we had the bad luck. Maybe if we had submitted a couple days earlier it would have gotten through. The frustrating thing is that the code in question was never used anyway.

It turned out to be a bit of a hassle to update to the latest version of OpenFeint, but I've spent today getting it all working again. Made a couple other small changes too.

We have to go back and do more testing now before resubmitting. We will resubmit as soon as we can.

Yep, you will be getting it. True Axis is based in Australia too incase you didn't realise. No more beta testing at this point sorry, but thanks for the offer.

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh wow, more bad luck on top of an already tumultuous development period. Seems like you guys just can't catch a break...

Regardless, beta testing was an absolute blast and I'll be buying the game straight away and telling everyone else so.

9. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Hoping for the best here too, Luke. It's a really great game, and deserves to see the light as soon as possible. And yes, everyone should definitely get this when it hits. :)

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can I check the controls? Are there touch controls as well as tilt?

11. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    #191 NinthNinja, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    It's a combination of both. You use tilt to move and tapping on the right side of the screen turns the ship around... This means you can move the ship in reverse which is handy for getting out of tricky situations. Tapping the left hand side of the screen changes the weapons.

It actually really works quite well... It's actually better that using touch to control movement, plus touching the screen is at a bare minimum so you can see the action.

The thing about tilt, or why people percieve it to be bad, is most developers make a real hash of implementing it which gives it a bad rep. Done right tilt works really well and gives far better reaction times for the game. While on the other hand touch can lag on hardware - for instance just load up a game with a analog touch joystick and move it around and watch the lag between the finger and the joystick graphic on screen... Which is really bad for a game that requires high reaction times.

Once people get used to the controls of Space Tripper they seem to like the control system a lot.

One of the reasons why the game was delayed was when iOS 4 was released the inputs became very laggy, especially the accelerometer updates - this rendered the game unplayable... But thank God Apple fixed the problem in a later update :)

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Shame you can't choose touch. I'll take your word for it though. I'm not a fan of tilt shooters at all but I'll wait to hear from users

The game looks stunning, just have to try out a lite version or something for the controls

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I would say the tilt controls work like a charm. I'd even say they are on the awesome level of Hoggy.

There is a definite limit to how far you can tilt - beyond which tilting further is pointless. It kinda serves to balance it out and prevents you from over-tilting, which is exactly what turns me off tilt controls.

And then if you are moving backwards, you go slower than if you go forwards and it works quite good.

14. mr_marts

Oct 21, 2008

Yeah that it is bad news been waiting for almost a year now :( anyways keeps up the great work you will get it through and i will be the first to hit the purchase button on iTunes, as this is the best arcade shooter available at the moment.

15. GamerGuy...lol

GamerGuy...lol Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Although I am not a big fan of over-the-top shooters, especially with tilt-to-move controls, this game looks really good! I may have to read some reviews when this game comes out to fully be convinced, but looks great so far! ;)

16. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I actually play with my wrists (an example of this is on the E3 videos) and this technique allows for small movement, which in turn makes the ship very responsive to control... to the point where I can make the ship turn on a dime with the combination of tapping the screen to flip the direction and at the same time dodge any incoming hazards.

I do suspect people will be put off by the tilt without trying but it does work very well.

Hopefully we plan to re-submit on Monday - I am so sick of testing this game now and just want the thing on the App Store!

17. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I wasn't a big fan of tilt controls in previous shooters either, but they are so refined and natural in this game, and work so well with the taps, you can't imagine it any other way once you play a few games and learn it. I think people will appreciate the level of refinement in every aspect of the game.

18. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    After extensive testing with the new Openfeint/Game Centre SDK there is not anything wrong, so we will re-submit tonight :)

We have added one thing to the structure of the game as well... there is a continue system now, so when you lose all your lives you get a choice of uploading your score or a trade of an extra life for your score so that you can continue in the level.

19. mr_marts

Oct 21, 2008
    Heres hoping it will pass this time!

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Dang! Has been anticipating the release. Too bad about the OF issue. Hope it goes well.

OTOH, are we beta-testers getting another version to try out?

About the touch control, as one of the beta testers, I have voice my request. Well, if you play that on iPad, it is a different story, to your wrist at least. I cannot say the tilt control here is bad, but offering such is nice. Touch control does not make the game any easier and/or fun.