iPad Space Trader

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Chiller ONE, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
  2. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

Looks interesting, like there seems to be a lot of potential upgrades, but there don't appear to be any screens showing the combat, and a Youtube search came up empty. That's a worry.

If you can't see and hear that new laser you've just bought ripping it up against that pirate who thought he could take the contents of your cargo bay for himself, what's the point?

3. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    My initial reaction was that this is based on the original Space Trader game written for the Palm OS. Space Trader (the original) is a fun game focusing on hopping between planets and trading commodities. There are pirates, police, upgrades, etc. Pretty much what the screenshots show. This game has tended to be open source (free).

You can find versions of the game for the PC on-line. I picked up one from SourceForge. It's a good way to try out the game and see what it's about.

The fighting in the game is all dialog-based. No graphics or animations.

I'm curious to know if this game is related (a port) of the original Space Traders game.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

It is crap! I loved the free Palm OS Version, but this port is shit! I purchased it and after 30 minutes I deleted it!

Greetings, Sascha

5. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    What was wrong with it?

I've been hoping for a port of Space Trader.

6. Mythbuster

No real menu strukture, the graphics are very . . . cheap. No extra points at the beginning, no "newspaper" and so on . . . No name for your hero . . . and so on. If you know the palm version: Here is just 50% of it!

So I am disappointed! . . . and when I think to the fact that the Palm Version was even for free . . . :(

Greetings, Sascha

7. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    I picked it up anyway.

50% is being charitable. :(

8. Mythbuster

I warned you! :(

9. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for the information. I'll keep my eye on this one, but have no plans to buy it at this point. It would be nice to have a good Space Trader port at some point.