iPad Space Trader apparently out??

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Raphie, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Raphie

Raphie Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
  2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Haha. The photos we saw on TA must have been photoshopped. :D
    It is a different game. I hope this whole 'identical names' thing doesn't cause a delay.

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It's too bad that the developers of the new Space Trader didn't see this one released first, because I'm sure the name thing will cause a little bit of confusion. Ironically, in some ways the new one coming out sounds a lot like a souped up version of this one, which is a souped up iPhone conversion of the Palm / Pocket PC game. For some background information on the HermitWorks version that's still pending, check out Space Trader.

4. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    #4 SSquared, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    Right. It's confusing because there have been two games named "Space Trader". One is the one currently previewed on the front and the other is an open source game with very little visuals. The open source-based game is the one currently available on the AppStore (although this version does cost money).

I've enjoyed the open source one since it was on the Palm. Then I played a version for PC. I had not even heard of this other version until just a few weeks ago. It definitely looks interesting.

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Have you played the one that's currently available on the App Store? I enjoyed the Pocket PC version, but for some reason could never get into the Palm version.

6. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
  7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Yeah, I saw that thread before. I was just too lazy to go back and see if you had commented in it or not :) What gets me is the fact that the Pocket PC version is open source (or at least I thought it was), so I would think aside from the specifics of the device itself that implementing it for a different platform would be relatively straightforward. Of course, I have no idea how sloppy the code for the other platforms is.

8. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    unfortunate side effect

Imagine my surprise when this new version was first announced and I rushed to the app store to buy it...only to later find out that it was an entirely different game! That was a big pile of suck.

9. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

There is a lite version off this crappy game

10. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Agreed. Which is what makes this release even more upsetting. Not to mention it is usually freeware. There have been plenty of other ports for it. I was even playing a C# version and made a few updates locally myself. :)