Space Strafer - 10 Free Codes + a shirt

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by AlexP, Nov 19, 2014.

1. AlexP

AlexP Active Member

Nov 17, 2014
    #1 AlexP, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Hey guys,

Seems Space Strafer is getting a lot of love around here, so I feel obliged to give something back.

Firstly, I have 10 free codes to give away off the bat, please be decent about it and don't take them all for yourself. I'd appreciate some mentions on social media but I won't demand it :)

These are obviously first in first served, let us know if you've used one or if they're no longer working so that I can strike it out. (Sincere apologies to early adopters who've already purchased, but I wouldn't be here without you guys!)

1. Claimed
    2. Claimed
    3. Claimed
    4. Claimed
    5. Claimed
    6. Claimed
    7. Claimed
    8. Claimed
    9. Claimed
    10. Claimed

Secondly, a contest: The player who has tweeted their highest verifiable score (on the main high scores leaderboard only) to #spacestrafer and@alexofparker by Saturday 12:00pm GMT (8pm Western Australia time) will be gifted an exclusive strafer t-shirt emblazoned with your score! (you can kind of see me wearing a prototype in this interview) I'll announce the lucky recipient in the following days as soon as I can verify the score and their shipping details.

For clarification:

1. Score must be tweeted to me @alexofparker with #spacestrafer to be in the running.
    2. I will use the Game Center tools in the iTunes Connect developer portal to verify the top score that is also submitted via step 1, at the moment the clock ticks over to 8pm Saturday local time in Western Australia, which is 12:00pm GMT.
    3. I'll need some way of verifying your score in game center, so either a screenshot with your Player Name visible, or tag the tweet with your player name.

If you have any questions or feedback on this structure so that I can improve future contests, please let me know!

Thanks again to everyone here for your support. You guys are the best!

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you very much!!!!
    WYHHWA3MF99F

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Got, 4RPYF9P6PKWK. Thank you.

4. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    T6JJ4FXXTFPT thank you!

Nice addictive high score chaser with a fun sci-fi, retro look.
    Controls are definatly unique. Just tap the screen and the ship goes left. A continuous press causes the ship to keep going left. Let go, and the ship will go to the right on it's own. You must avoid the rocks or asteroids coming directly at you while collecting gems to be used for purchasing better ships.
    The game starts out challenging and becomes more challenging.
    Great time waster and brain break for when you only have a few seconds to spare.

5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#5 Anotherkellydown, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Guess I'll finally have to break down and open a Twitter account. :p

Done! I better get a t-shirt for this! :D

Edit: I was an early adopter of your excellent game, Alex. I was lead to it by Qwertz and Andy of TA. I've been thoroughly enjoying it for the past few days. Great work!

I have a question about the t-shirt contest. I've just created a twitter account, so I'm ready to go. What exactly do you mean by posting our high score "on the main high scores leaderboard"? I've taken a screen shot of the "game over" screen that displays my last score and my all time high score. Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks again for the great game and for this contest!

6. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    FYI, All codes gone.
    This is a great game, hope it'll get more attention. I played this on android and plan to grab this on iOS too... Slidedb helped me to know more this game ;)

7. Lavender

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    AnotherKellyDown;
    Here's a pic of the high scores leaderboard. (You are in 2nd place right now!)

[​IMG]

8. Anotherkellydown

Thanks Lavender!

I thought the Game Center leaderboard would be the most obvious way, but wasn't positive since Alex just said "the main high score leaderboard".

Muchly appreciate your help! :)

Now the question is; Is it a random winner, or the person with the highest score?...

9. AlexP

AlexP Active Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Thanks again everyone for the great response here. Just to clarify some points around the contest:

1. Score must be tweeted to me @alexofparker with #spacestrafer to be in the running.
    2. I will use the Game Center tools in the iTunes Connect developer portal to verify the top score that is also submitted via step 1, at the moment the clock ticks over to 8pm Saturday local time in Western Australia, which is 12:00pm GMT.
    3. I'll need some way of verifying your score in game center, so either a screenshot with your Player Name visible, or tag the tweet with your player name.

I know it's probably not perfect, but it's the first thing I came up with when trying to think of something fun and engaging for players. I'll refine the approach in future contests based on feedback from everyone involved.

I'll update the top post with the clarifications.

Anotherkellydown I'm not a lawyer but I know that in Australia when a game involving prizes is a game of chance rather than of skill I think certain regulations kick in. It's probably a non-issue for something at this scale but I thought I'd err on the side of caution until I've gotten my facts in line.

If anyone has any other questions or suggestions for future contests I'm happy to hear them.

10. Anotherkellydown

Awesome!

I'm just glad you're doing something like this. It's a lot of fun, and really unique for a game developer to do fun things with their players. Hope to see tons more people on the leaderboards!

- Mike

11. Lavender

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    This is a company in Australia that does contests. I am not suggesting the company. I have never dealt with them personally. (I am in the US) Just that there is some straight forward info about rules & permits for contests that are either based on luck or skill.
    https://www.digitaldialogue.com.au/blog/online-competition-permits-in-australia
    I used to own a company that did contests, promotions, entertainment etc..on a small or large scale.(I had 30 employees. Sold the company after I adopted 4 kids and then coincidentally, my husband's disability became worse.)
    So, I have all kinds of random links! LOL

I might be wrong, but I think you probably don't need a permit or anything because the prize value is so low and it is based on skill, not chance/luck, whereas chance borders on being a lottery.

Obviously rules/regs will differ greatly between Australia and US. I could just be writing to hear myself type! LOL

12. AlexP

AlexP Active Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Thanks, that's the kind of info I was after...

"Western Australia - Online Competition Permit Requirements
    Permits are not required to run an online competition in Western Australia as long as entry is free for the contestant."

Sorted! I'll remember for next time.

13. Lavender

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    You're welcome.
    I am glad that I cold help!

14. AlexP

AlexP Active Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Just a quick bump-up, no scores have been tweeted yet so if you guys want a sweet-ass strafer t-shirt, you probably don't even need the top score! Just the highest tweeted score (verifiable by Game Center) wins. There's like... 8 hours left.

(my daughter has a dance concert at 7pm, so it may be a couple of hours before I can announce the winrar).

15. AlexP

AlexP Active Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Congratulations Anotherkellydown, it looks like you're the proud new owner of your very own custom strafer shirt.

PM me your shipping deets and shirt size & I'll sort out the prize for you!

16. Anotherkellydown

PM sent! I can't begin to thank you enough! :)