Space shmup Xenoraid by 10tons coming up in December

Discussion in 'Pre-Orders, Soft Launches, and Upcoming iOS Games' started by 10tonsLtd, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 19, 2014
    I freaken love it. That's what I think lol

I'll be posting a more in depth post later today. I have a whole bullet point thing set up lol.

It's awesome. Everyone is going to love this game. I went and bought it on steam too that's how much I love this beta. I can't wait to also have it officially on my iPhone.

I love the on screen controls. You guys nailed it for me. That's the most important aspect.

Billy

2. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Well, we like hearing this! Neon Chrome has been doing superbly well on iOS (too), so we're very excited to hear Xenoraid getting positive early impressions.

3. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Another 66 testers added! Any and all feedback is much appreciated, January is closing in fast considering there's a chunk of holidays in between.

4. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    #24 skylined87, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    And what a nice Christmas surprise it was to see that TestFlight email pop up in my inbox! This game is incredible. You guys are some of the coolest devs in the world! Neon Chrome, Crimsonland, and now this masterpiece?! You guys are making some of the best overhead shooter and dual stick shooter experiences available, PLEASE do more with this genre. This is definitely where you guys shine!

Now, about the game, I have been noticing a bit of a framerate drop whenever there is a lot of explosions on screen at the same time. I'm running iOS 10.1.1 on a non-jailbroken 6s. I noticed the same thing with Neon Chrome. I fixed that by turning off most of the graphics options (everything except lower frame rate), but in Xenoraid I don't see any graphics options. I also have about 4 gigs free on my hard drive, and all other apps are closed. I'm about to try a hard reset, maybe that will help.

Just thought I would let y'all know, thanks again for sending me an invite! ###

5. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Glad to hear you like it!

Regarding performance, Xenoraid isn't quite as "light" game as one might initially assume. Even though it's 2D graphics, it doesn't mean it doesn't stress the GPU. There are lots of layers (dust in the background and stuff) which require a certain amount of power. Explosions particularly may make the device choke up momentarily, as a lot of particles are spawned nearly instantly.

Performance is one of the things we'd like to get a "general concensus" feedback on. It's not like we can't make the game run smoother, but it will be costly in terms of resources spent and very likely will result in some loss of visual fidelity as well.

6. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    We're happy to announce Xenoraid will launch for iOS on January 12th!

The game will be a free download. The free version includes the 10 first levels of the Campaign mode and one of the three endless Survival missions. And video ads.

There'll be a single IAP to unlock full content and remove the ads. The list price will be $9.99 USD (same price as on PC and consoles), but we'll discount the game for first two weeks to $4.99 USD. So it pays to grab it quick!

The beta feedback has been very good. No major issues have come up, and change requests have been minor tweaks which we may very well incorporate in the pretty much inevitable first update sometime after launch. The game sure isn't easy on an iPhone with touch screen controls due to loss of some visibility, but we've tweaked the difficulty curve as much as we feel we can without compromising the experience with an MFi controller. But we'll see how it plays out after receiving more feedback.

A big thank you to all the beta testers! :)

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm in for the full version after watching the video, and it'll be great to see how I perform on my SE without any MFi controllers :p

8. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    #28 skylined87, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    I am really loving this game so much...even though I kinda suck at it. # Right now I can't even get past the 4th or 5th Phobos mission. I'm not coordinated enough to navigate through the asteroids and projectiles while trying to line up my shots. Oh yeah, I'm also doing my best not the overheat the weapons, and trying to remember to switch ships when in danger of collision or being shot. I try and try to stay alive, but the reaper always comes for all of my men.

Hopefully if I keep at it, I might eventually get further in the game. So far, I am absolutely amazed! This game is a welcome addition to the many great space shooters on iOS. This is definitely one of the best, if not the best, and it will forever have a spot on my devices!

Now, so far the only problem I have been having (the framerate drops haven't seemed to be an issue anymore), is that whenever I have to fly my ship to the bottom left corner my thumb covers the ship and I can't see where I'm going. I don't really know how this can be fixed aside from using an MFI controller, which I haven't tried yet (nor do I know if it's supported), but I just thought I would let you guys know all the same. I have been getting around this by just doing my best to not fly around that part of the screen, but it still results in the occasional damage or death.

Again, I don't really even know what you guys could even do to improve that. It may just be one of those unavoidable obstacles with trying to bring this game to touchscreens. By no means does this make the game unplayable, or will it be a deal breaker. You have my money guaranteed! ##########

That's right, I threw a diamond in there #

9. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 22, 2010
    *cough*
    Don't we get top-notch relative touch controls in this game, as an option at least?!

10. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    The left side virtual thumbstick is relative, to a degree. You need to stay somewhat to the left side of the screen, but there's a lot of real estate to pick your spot. That doesn't eliminate the issue completely though, as you just lose a bunch of visibility especially on a phone when you drop two thumbs on the screen. There indeed is no other way around that than to use an MFi gamepad. The issue isn't nearly as bad on an iPad, as you just have more screen.

It's especially true that the asteroid field missions become noticeably more difficult when playing with virtual controls on a phone. We already rebalanced the asteroid fields for mobile, but we might make them easier still in an update - although we really don't want to go as far as to trivialize them when playing with an MFi gamepad.

It's interesting to experience how the game shifts a bit when playing on virtual controls. When losing some finesse in controls, the "puzzle" elements become more apparent. You need to match weapons to enemies a bit more (especially EMPs to energy shield enemies), and some upgrades start to seem a whole lot better - like the extra armor on the flamer ship which allows carefree ramming of asteroids :D

Anyway, it looks like we'll need to update the game after release no matter what (current ad functionality in the free status of the game needs improvement), so let us know your feedback once you've had a chance to play the game and we'll address as much as we can.

11. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Hackensack, NJ
    I might pick up the PS4 version tomorrow instead. Is there any huge difference other than playing on a TV vs a tablet?

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Absolutely loved Neon Chrome and will pick this up without hesitation.

13. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    The game is pretty much the same on any and all platforms. The PS4 version is somewhat prettier and running in the "original" level of challenge. We made the game slightly easier for mobile, but in practical terms you won't notice it.

14. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 22, 2010
    *gulp*
    So there is no real relative touch control :(
    Wow, difficult to believe, really.

*thinking*
    Maybe there's a bunch of buttons on the right side?

Nope, no buttons (it's a trailer, so are there?)

Edit: found an early hands-on video and there are a few buttons. But still possible to have the rest of the screen being relative, imho.

If it's a side scroller, no problems, but i'm not a lover of top-down shmups played in landscape. They simply don't work for me.
    (at least i consider this to be top-down)

Anyway, a late thank you for your answer, and i still might bite. Simply because it's you, 10tons.

15. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Yeah, there are actually six buttons on the right side of the screen. Two fire buttons and selection buttons for each of the four fighters you have.

We also just realized we've had an internal comms bungle and MFi support doesn't work on our release build! That's unfortunate, to put it mildly, but we'll of course submit a fixed build asap. The game will be MFi-less for some days after launch though. Apologies to all MFi gamepad players.

16. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Hackensack, NJ
    Is there Game Center integration?

17. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Yes.

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Canton, Ohio
    I can't wait to buy this when it's released tonight/tomorrow. Between this and Isaac, I should have my shooter needs covered for a while.:D

19. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    The game has been released and should make its way to the storefront soon.

Apple was also kind and quick enough to check out our latest update super fast, so MFi gamepad support will work right off the bat as intended.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel