iPad Space Ninja

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Fubit86, Jan 1, 2009.

1. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Also see here.

The game is simply incredible. Look at the feedback from the testers on the last few pages of that thread ^. You will not regret buying this game. I'm buying this for sure!

The dev is already working on an update (I think).

Do yourself a favor and buy one of the first "good" games of 2009. ;)

2. underthesun

underthesun Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    This is strange, I can't see it from iTunes.. then again I'm in Australia..

Yeah, I'm working on updating a few fixes.. and a special stage for touch arcade ;)

3. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #4 tunawrap, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
    I eat souls!!!!

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    it plays really well.

I have one request. The ship doesn't go completely to the edge of the screen. This has resulted in a number of deaths :) Can you make it go to the edge of the screen?

arn

5. underthesun

Dec 23, 2008
    Hmm.. changing the game mechanics will render all the existing replays invalid.. I didn't think it'd be released this soon :p so maybe in the distant future arn ;)

as for having two copies, I think the game will overwrite each other? I'll finish the beta testing batch first though.. extra levels will come when someone can finish the whole game without powerups (I highly, highly doubt this).

never mind about the whole game, just the first 20 levels without powerups. :)

6. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    What is the aim of the game? Completing missions with a story or getting a high score?

7. PimpToxie

PimpToxie Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    Just picked up the game, will post again shortly with impressions.

Very happy to see the New Year being kicked off properly ;)

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    completing levels is the primary goal. There are 40 regular levels and 5 challenge levels. The levels get hard. You get medals if you can complete a level without a) using any powerups b) using the bullet-time slow down.

The game consists of dodging enemy fire. There's no shooting perse, but there are powerups that can help a lot.

Really good use of the accelerometer. There is a frustration factor with more difficult levels, as you may have to try again and again. But dare I say - a very unique game. :)

arn

9. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Thanks for the info Arn. Do you have the choice to play whatever level you have unlocked or do you start from level 1 all over after a game over? I love games where you can replay harder levels right away instead of starting over with the slow pace of early levels.

Looks like a great game overall, got to complete Imprisoned first then I am on this.

10. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    so, it looks like once you unlock a level (ie get to it), you can go back and play any one in any order. However, you appear to have only one "saved" game" which means if you go back to an older level, you need to start a "new" game.

Where it is an issue is that your continued game you carry over power-ups from one level to the next. So if you go back to level 1 and start a new game, it seems you have to give up your powerups... even though you can later go back to the high level you quit at.

If that makes sense.

arn

11. underthesun

Dec 23, 2008
    Out of curiosity, what level have you reached? Do you use much powerups?

btw finishing consecutive stages without dying will earn you streak medals -- and that is the real use of powerups

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I've made it to mission 13. And I'm increasingly having to try many times before getting through these levels. But I think I might suck at it more than others might :)

I didn't use powerups much until the last 5-6 levels. Then I got curious about them and tried them. I recently played the 1st levels again (much easier now) so don't have any powerups going into level 13 now.

arn

13. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    Early impressions: my first gameplay session with Space Ninja was extremely positive. As the gameplay videos have shown, the amount of action that is on screen is phenomenal. The accelerometer controls are also some of the best I have seen yet (developers take note of the excellent ingame calibration option). You really do get the "how the hell did I just do that" feeling while playing this game. I can easily see Space Ninja chewing up lots of my free time.

@ TSP: you can start at whatever level you unlock. Not only that, it keeps stats for each level you play: letting you know how often you have died trying the board, the max distance you've traveled, as well as what achievements you accomplished.

14. Paradox

Paradox Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Er... SOrry I'm lost. Is this a shoot'em up game?

15. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    No, it is not. You are being shot at and have to dodge all incoming projectiles. This is accomplished by powerups (which protect you in one way or another), bullet time (slow-mo), and excellent accelerometer controls.

16. Paradox

Paradox Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Thanks that cleared things up lol

17. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    How's the accelerometer control work? You tilt up, down, left and right to control? Is there any sensitivity issue? Getting interested with it after seeing the video review. Great job Arn! That means more $$ to spent.

18. PimpToxie

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    The accelerometer controls are fantastic. There is an ingame calibration option (which you select during the game) which allows you to setup the accelerometer controls to your liking. So no, there are no sensitivity issues.

19. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    #20 D.Sync, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
    Can anyone give me any reason not to buy this game? I still got a couple of bucks to spent for new year. Any news for price drop?