Universal Space Miner Wars (by Venan Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Tarengo

Tarengo Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Writer
    San Francisco, CA
    Anyone still playing this game? For some reason I still am. Perhaps it's my OCD.

I've gotten to the point where my early and frequent playing has gotten me a very sturdy base and an almost fully upgraded Tier 4 ship that's capable of making quick, 3-Star work out of nearly every base I get matched up with. With that said, the recent changes to PvP and mining runs have left me wondering if it's possible for newer players to progress as quickly without shelling out cash for infinium. It certainly seems like you might pick up mods and components for mods much more easily than you would before, but you're not able to sit down and really work some other people in PvP to quickly get resources, spent on upgrades, then enjoy getting attacked and getting a free shield from someone who took what little was left.

It really is a shame the devs are so clearly focused on monetizing everything. There's so much to work with with the gameplay and universe that could really make this a lot of fun with some better story and level design. The mega drones as a powerful enemy are basically a joke once you figure out you can just keep shooting at them and not move. The little glimmers of boss fight that are in the later "story" missions are buggy and as boring. I really wish they'd ramp things up to be a little more challenging, but equally as rewarding. As it is, it's just a painful grind. Did Venan learn nothing from the first game?

2. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    With just how amazing the original space miner was... This just couldn't come even remotely close to being as fun, engaging as the original. I remember a year or so ago I posted about a true sequel to the original and it was posted a proper sequel was in the works and would be released towards the end of 2015... Guessing this was that...

I tried hard to love this game but after 2 weeks deleted it...

The App Store and games truly do suck ass compared to years ago... I hardly play games on my phone now... Back to consoles.

3. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    im still enjoying it though everythings in the 2.4mil to 3mil price range for upgrades on my base so ive slowed down abit. i like the lack of energy system / inventory as of latest update but not a fan of the 2 minute timer in the asteroid fields, at least with the old system i could go in that field 2 or 3 times to get every drop. very much liking the new pvp placement system on the map, feels less needy of my attention and despite the lack of shields im not being attacked all that often. not sure if the lack of inventory is a good thing, its basically going to turn the ship options in to dps and tank.

maybe the 'tank' option instead of a larger inventory should have an extra minute on the clock when used in ore fields.

4. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    #104 Taeles, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    -blows dust off thread-

Anyone heard any word on this game and studio? I've done some searching and facebook venan has been dead since march. twitter, dead since march. their official site, same. only activity ive seen was a july post on facebook on their book of heroes page.

Edit : Nevermind, found'em. Their fused on that book of heroes game atm.

5. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    Haven't heard anything official. I'm maxed out and have been for months, aside from the new augments they added in March. The top couple of guilds are starting to max those out, and it's really hard to 3-star their bases. Pretty much have to use 3 power ups and 3 weapon charges. And have super maxed out mods that take months (or lottery-like luck) to grind.

I was kinda hoping for there to be more than a few weeks' worth of content in that update, and it's been 4 months. Every day is the same old thing, mine mine PVP, mine mine, press the "find new rival button" to get another +10/-90, save Slate for the 198th time, mine, mine, do a few contract runs in the same old contract all day err day, PVP, mine, mine.

That always seems to be the problem with updates for this game, they don't keep the pace with even the regular players. The top players seem to keep themselves entertained by exchanging cheating accusations and insults in global, lol. There's a bug in the game that allows people to prevent themselves from being attacked, which most of the top folks have started to use, so that's pretty awesome and makes it hard for me to find decent targets. (I miss the old nextnextnextnextnext fest)

I don't play Book of Heroes but I can't imagine the sentiment being much different over there, whenever Venan is focused on getting an update out for SMW I'm sure they're like "dead game is dead." I think Venan needs a few more people if they want to keep maintaining two online games like this.

6. waystar

waystar Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Hey Fury! Good to see a familiar SMW face here. Rumours of an update have started after some hints from the Devs recently to one of my guild members. I love this game, but it does take some dedication and patience but the 2.0.1 update means new players can make faster progress.

The community is the best thing about this game, lots of fun to be had on global chat and experienced players are waiting to coach new players in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. And the entertainment from a couple of well known players currently on a fantasy space flight on a large cruise miner is as much fun as reading a great book.

Give it a try if you haven't, you don't have to spend money now in 2.0.1 (but it helps if you're impatient). Playing a little bit every day means you'll make fast progress and the story missions as you progress are still as hilarious and whacky as the original.

7. waystar

waystar Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    A recent App Store feature has mean't a load of new players have joined. If Venan get an update out soon there may be life in this old dog yet! But agree with Furys comments completely.

8. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    Well, so much for that. I'm hearing mumbling in the chat that their last few developers have left. The space miner wars forums have been shut down by the company that was hosting them, and there's been no response to support tickets lately. Could be they're just on an especially long vacation, though if they're still alive I imagine they would've at least flipped a switch to turn on the Christmas event a couple weeks ago.

It would be such a shame to let all of the effort put forth by the former developers, all these hours spent by the players, and the community that built up around the game get thrown out. Hand it off to somebody, anybody...(ooh ooh pick me?)