Universal Space Miner Wars (by Venan Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    The single player stages are an easy way to farm credits while keeping your protection up. Certainly though, raiding offers better scrap rates. The SP stages do have the distinction of item drops. I find I never leave a stage incomplete, as once you have cleared all the enemies out, it's better to clean the stage up and start fresh than come back. Enemies drop ship items, premium currency, and fuel that make a run essentially free. They are what makes single player runs worth while, and without them you might as well raid.

2. Akali

Akali Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Congratulations Venan devs on yet another Win

....you found a great way to improve your stats for clearing support tickets.

Just press "closed". Job done!

Congratulations on yet another spectacular own goal. It just means we have to complain on forums elsewhere

New motto....."lousy game, lousy support"

3. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Akali I just got an answer about my question regarding the pvp score. So maybe you don't asked them nicely;)

Hi Wilbair,

Thank you for contacting us about your concern. The PvP system was inflated and no one new to the game would be able to catch the players in the soft launch. The reason that you are only receiving one point for fighting players lower than you is to reduce the gap between all players. There currently is a rounding error that will be addressed soon where you see zero instead of 1. It isn't about score but your rank on the leaderboards. The reason the system got inflated is because of clone bases during the soft launch so you were jumping higher and higher in score instead of being knocked down by real opponents.

In hindsight, we should have been better about explaining to the soft launch players that we would be adjusting the scores after we introduced cloned bases. In the coming weeks, PvP scoring will be balanced and you will be seeing the correct scoring and more competitive players. Please trust us that it will work out for the better in the coming weeks. We will be keeping a close eye on the scoring and balance of the game as we continue to develop it.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

4. Crazyboy423

Crazyboy423 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Studdent
    France
    This game needs guild wars or something like that. It becomes boring and upgrades become too long

5. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    So I'm now level 27, ranked #55 on the regional leaderboard. I'm curious as to how the devs plan on continuing this game when clearly there aren't that many humans playing it, compared to other PvP games in this style. When I go to raid a base, at least 75% of my matched targets are bots, bases with two-word random generated names like "Demonic Ocelot", "Binary Knight", "Reptile Extreme". These look to be real-time copies of actual player bases that Venan is creating on the fly during match-making - the players don't show up in the Leaderboards and never revenge you.

So why would I pay Clash of Clans-type money for a game which is effectively single-player?

6. beekeo

beekeo Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Worldwide launch was only two weeks ago and we're playing with only iOS people at the moment.
    Android and Amazon releases are still to come!

also "Demonic Ocelot" is an awesome name!!

7. Alyindar

Alyindar Well-Known Member

#87 Alyindar, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Losing outposts are a bear to get back. I'm license 20 with a Tier 2 ship with maxed out weapons and shields, and so far I'm 0/4 getting back the very first outpost you take in the tutorial. This is my only frustration with the game so far.

Edit: ok, I stand somewhat corrected. If you retreat mid-outpost raid and return everything your destroyed is still blown up, with the exception of the shield generator. That's made it much more tolerable, recaptured that outpost in 2 runs.

8. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Don't expand your map to fast, it seems to affect the difficulty of everything on it. Get the tier3 ship upgrade it a few times and it becomes much easier taking them back.

ty for the note on returning after fleeing, didn't know that. woot!

9. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Still playing and loving this :)

I'm the director of a guild called Death Star (top 10 in the guild leaderboards), if anyone meeting the following criteria would like to join, you're welcome. PvP 800+, preferably level 25+ and 4 builder pods.

10. Akali

Akali Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Space Miner Wars - a massive financial failure?

SMW is doing very badly financially. A massive financial failure. I can't even see it in the UK Top 200 grossing games.

Well, we soft launch players did repeatedly warn the devs to keep the game fun. But they squandered our goodwill.

The devs repeatedly made the game less fun with far reaching changes. They have reversed much of that now, but the damage has been done. A potentially great game now doomed to a spiral of decline.

Devs should have listened to us.

11. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Since I wasn't a soft-launch player...did they take something out? Or was it something else?

I admit I spent $10 on the game and have been having fun with it (Level 18 atm). The difficulty curve became steep around Level 15 and the rate at which I earned resources became too slow, so I've begun to lose interest but I still boot it up at least once a day to collect resources.

12. beekeo

beekeo Member

Jul 9, 2012
    During the beginning and middle of softlaunch, the game economy was badly broken in the players' favor.
    If you were in the top end of the PvP leaderboard the population was thin, so if there wasn't a real player available, a clone another player's base was created with 100% duplicated loot.
    Base defenses were also very weak and you could 3-star the base of someone ten levels higher than you with little difficulty.
    We all kept raiding each other's clones for 500K to 1M scrap each time, so you'd complete 3 or 4 successful attacks and go offline with the knowledge that you'd only be attacked once and then get a shield.

As a result, PvP rankings and player loots were in an over-heated bubble economy.

So base defenses got stronger.
    Clone base rewards got nerfed.
    The map system changed.
    One set of boring passive loot generator buildings was switched to a different type of passive generator that was tied control of resource bases on the new map. The boring loot generator buildings came back at loot bonus multipliers. <-- some people got really cranky about this.
    After world-wide launch, many of the new players complained about the astronomical PvP rankings of the small group of elder players. PvP scores were scaled down but probably should have been wiped out completely or something. <-- more crankiness here
    PvP in the first week or two was a bit rough because it took awhile for new players to rank up and collect decent amounts of loot, I think I remember people complaining about that too.

In my opinion the game got a lot more fun, but 1.0.0 is only three weeks old and I'm looking forward to what's next.

13. Akali

Akali Member

Nov 10, 2012
    VETERAN guilds' members

A call out to the few remaining active high level members of the respected veteran guilds, such as Finer Miners, Rockstarz, Australian Miners, Gilde Der Gilden.

You are welcome to join us in Khalsa Force, the last remaining stronghold of the veteran players.

Stand united with your fellow veteran pilots!

You will be made very welcome amongst us, and will of course know all our old members from the old days of Global chat... ;)

14. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks for the invetation Akali!

15. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I contacted support 1 days 6 hours ago, for a simple problem, which could be fixed in 5 minutes.

No one has replied and my ticket is still being "processed".

Fix your guild hierarchy system, if you promote an officer, he/she becomes a director in your guild and you cannot demote them. What kind of system is this?! Haven't you thought about it? None of that was ever explained in the game and can easily happen accidentally. This is a design flaw for a game mainly based on PvP!

16. huttican

huttican Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Hi all. Been playing a while and few days later will unlock tier 4 ships. I want to be prepared when it's unlocked but can't find ship costs anywhere. So please let me know how much I need to get those.

17. beekeo

beekeo Member

Jul 9, 2012
    tier 4 Navy is 2M credits. I decided to get the Miner, I think it was 1.5M.
    but I need to spend some time getting mods and weapon upgrades to increase the DPS over my maxed out tier 3 Navy.

18. Mithrin

Mithrin New Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Just got to tier 3 ships, is the 20% extra dps on the navy ship worth taking less than 1/2 the shields compared to the mining ship?

19. beekeo

beekeo Member

Jul 9, 2012
    the common wisdom is that a maxed out tier 3 navy with epic mods is competitive with all bases except for the top 50 or so (currently).

I am working on upgrades for my tier 4 miner, but the tier 3 navy out-performs it on damage and it's smaller size makes it easier to dodge hammers instead of absorbing them.

20. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    The blue ships have more forward firepower, which is what you want in PVP (i.e. shoot what you're aiming at). The mining ships' DPS looks almost competitive, but a sizable chunk of it is in the weaker auto turrets that decide on their own what to aim at, so a lot of their firepower goes to waste. It would require a pretty strong weapon damage mod to make it equivalent, but then again, you could just use that damage mod on the warship to make it far more formidable.

When they made the update last month to buff up the shields and hull on the mining ships, I tried it, and the difference in health was definitely noticeable, but the drop in DPS really made it hard to make any progress on a base attack, making the health essentially useless. The time it would take to hunt for the appropriate mod discouraged me from upgrading the ship and continuing to try it, though I did use it for funsies to go mining, and really enjoyed not having to worry about getting hit and whatnot.

If that drill on the front of the mining ships did more damage, I could see a new strategy forming around the idea of literally drilling through a base in PVP. That would definitely make the beefier hull and shields stand out.