Space Miner: Platinum Edition (by Venan Entertainment) [TA 2010 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Venan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Everything the posts before me said about this game is DA TRUTH! Funny as hell. Really. Laugh Out Loud funny. Excellent characters. Positively outstanding polish and production values. (the radar on the the tiny ship moves, for Pete's sake!)

Your character also has his/her own room where you can view achievements, etc. My God, this is a complete phuckin package.

And talk about not wanting to stop playing. And once you start upgrading your ship... This is one of the best games on the App Store. Amazing job, devs.

I do wish some new tunes are added, though.

All in all, 5 bucks is a phuckin bargain.

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I regret coming into this thread. Vid looks good, description sounds attractive, and everyone just make it seem like the best game ever. Just when I want to cut down on buying. Arrgg.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #43 Vovin, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010

Believe us - you won't regret it! :)

It is NOT the best game of all times and for eternity and stuff - but you will recognize every minute you are playing this, how much love and devotion went into that game. Every minute you'll notice new details. By replay, you'll notice things you've not seen before.
    It is just the feeling that the devs wanted to give you a hilarious game.

'til now, I hadn't even the feeling that something is missing in this game - like you sometimes have in other games.
    Last, but not least: start the game, play, then try to put it down. And then happens the following: awww... come on... just these asteroid field, just these enemies... just wanna finish this mission... just wanna earn the money for the next upgrade... just wanna try out my new engines / weapons / driller... :D

4. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    #44 Jarek, Feb 6, 2010
    I agree.

About those details... I just cracked giant rocky... pińata! It was... weird :)

This game is awesome, but I am about to finish - at present I am challenging the last boss. He is hard as hell but I can't force myself to make a try for the 15th time...

5. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Wow. Just wow.

The reception so far is the kind of thing you hope for deep in your heart when you get into this business. I can't tell you how many nights I'd go to bed thinking "Really Brandon? You're making asteroids your big foray on the iPhone? Are you nuts?" But we just kept working it, trying to get it balanced, trying to get it polished, and ultimately, fun.

It's incredibly gratifying to see you guys enjoy the game so much. We're only one day in (not even) and I have no idea how this ride is going to go from a business perspective, but at this point in time, all I can think to myself is - it was worth it.

Thanks everyone. And see you on the leaderboards :)

6. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    It's rather us, who should thank. You made this game great, providing us hours of fun.
    I am sure this game is selling as good as it looks. At the US AppStore are already dozens of positivie reviews and average rating is... 5 stars.

By the way - thank for reminding. It is time to upload my highscore!

7. Fedorov

Fedorov Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Going by the comments, screenshots and video I think I should stop wasting all these hours and just buy it as it sounds fantastic. Will post comments later, off to the AppStore right now! :)

8. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    #48 Jarek, Feb 6, 2010
    I have beaten the game "Space Miner: Space Ore Bust"!
    Spent long, happy hours playing it :)
    What about ending? It is funny like all the rest! :)

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Fine, you win. You and SZ's comments pushed me over. Only consolation is that I did not have to sell my blood for it :rolleyes:

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

it is an awesome game! just perfect!

i havent been hired to say that if you're wondering :p

11. Fedorov

May 18, 2009
    Okay spent 30 mins on it, not done any specific missions yet just a bit of mining to get my level 2 license and I already love the graphics, sound and whole presentation.
    The interface/menus are so easy to use, there is a help button on every screen, you guys certainly put a lot of time and effort into this one and you deserve every success you get from it.

Looking forward to some more mining and will leave yet another 5-star review I expect :)

So Jarek, who has beaten the game, I presume you can now start over on a higher difficulty level to get even more replay out of it?

I guess someone will ask the question about an "endless" mode - once we have all mastered *cough* hardcore level and completed it what do you do, is there plans for more missions or to add some kind of endless mode to keep everyone playing after hardcore?

Anyone on the fence like I was... just buy it!!!

12. Fedorov

May 18, 2009
    Update: I've posted on a couple of other forums to get this game the attention it deserves.... TouchArcade just need to give it the front-page coverage next which I'm sure it will get.

13. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

it sue deserves front page coverage.

maybe blake can do it. he loves retro games. maybe someone should give him a pointer?

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    YAY! 13 5-star-ratings on US AppStore and 6 5-star-reviews!

Talking about an epic game - and sure, it is! That's the word I was looking for. This game is truly epic.

And, Brandon - sometimes the easiest idea is the best.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Word from Arn: front page coverage is coming. (I emailed him the "tip" and he responded).

16. wilwired

wilwired Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Good! This game WAY deserves a cover story. I'm having a blast with it.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #57 Vovin, Feb 6, 2010

Yeah... on PSP or DS - you would have paid 20$ easily for this game.
    Maybe even 25 bucks... so everyone complaining on that price:
    go eat your burger and miss 10 hours of pure fun... :p

Hey, Brandon: want me to translate the text of the US AppStore page into German for the German AppStore? :)

And, Brandon: don't make the mistake lowering the price too fast. That isn't worth it. Well, I think: business will work out fine. I guarantee you, in 3-4 days Space Miner will be featured in AppStores "New & Noteworthy" section!

18. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I started playing last night around 9pm and when I looked up again it was 2am.
    I'm taking a break at the moment....but man, is my ship loaded and I haven't even gone on the "Save Uncle Jed" quest yet.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I can't imagine this working on the DS -- the amount of visual detail would just not work in such a small, low-res screen. I could easily see this as a $20 PSN original for the PSP (though the controls would have to be reworked for a non-touch screen).

This is the kind of game that would make a PSP owner jealous of iPhone gamers.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, you're right with the DS... but the PSP owners really would bash their heads against the next wall... such a game for 5 bucks... might be unbelievable for them :D