Space Miner: Platinum Edition (by Venan Entertainment) [TA 2010 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Venan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Only had a chance to play this for maybe 10 mins so far. Very first impression: it's Asteroids with bells and whistles. But what bells and whistles! Looking forward to getting into it some more later.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, every pearl starts with a bit of dirt. Asteroids is the dirt in this game.

3. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Game Impressions

I love this game! Easy controls and interesting storyline.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I've been playing this game for almost an hour and a half, and I can add three more points to my assessment:

1) This is the funniest game since GTA:Chinatown.

2) I keep meeting new characters and encountering new situations. In fact, I just went through an awesome fight with a crazed robot-ship. Made it by the skin of my teeth.

3) After 1 1/2 hours, I've completed 4 out of 24 missions, and just reached miner level 3. Clearly there's a boatload of content here.

Needless to say, the awesomeness level just keeps rising.

5. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Wow just bought.. I usually dont go for the pricier games on the store but this looks great. Especially with all the early praise by squarezero, gotta get this lol

6. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    So... this is a good game then? :p

7. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    So is this game unlimited, or are there a certain amount of missions you do? Like, does the game have an end?

8. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    I don't think so. Storyline may end, but You should be able to mine all around freely. I hope so, at least.

I love this game. I have been playing it for two hours, reached licence level 3, discovered a bunch of secrets and explored... my own sector - Milkycliff! I had to rescue 15 tourist there and I managed to do it, for the first time being on time. I love background in that sector, and fog in previous.
    My ship is now Battle Cruiser which is hard like shell and no droid can crack it.

I am still amazed, how fluent this game is: You won't find a lag here, glitch or sudden stop. Everything works smoothly, I don't mean graphic only here but relation between technical side and storyline.
    If I may give You a tip: be careful with buying engines - if Your ship was too light, You experience some tourbulences and oversteering! :)

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There are 23 official missions in the game, but you can mine sectors, fight robot miners, collect alien tech, and upgrade your ship and your mining license to your heart's content. In fact, missions don't come one after the other in a sequence, but arise as you make you're way through the sectors and gain cash/experience. I guess the game ends when you've explored every corner and mined every asteroid. There's over forty sectors, though, so that would take you a while.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Did you rescue the wealthy, important man already? That's my favorite mission so far -- that robot-ship was mean!

11. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Yup, I rescued him already.
    But that robot was easy! I have found a sector, where little silver dron is eqipped with three layers of shield and couple of little droids to defend it.
    I found it impossible to finish that mission at present because it was too hard to lay it's shields down. I had to abort the mission and take care of something else.

This droid is located in the sector where Your alienish friend tells You about secret weapon tests. It's defending box with ancient gun prototype.
    I think I am going to challenge it again :) I have bought two new heavy guns and new ship...

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Sounds very cool. Guess I'll be getting there eventually...

13. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

heh.. another game on must-buy list?

I need to stop visiting TA for a bit.. -_-;

14. yrrebeulb19

yrrebeulb19 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    There is a statistic for how many playthroughs you have on a save file, so I assume it does end but you can go through again. Either way this is a fantastic game and you should buy it. I'm about four hours in now and there is still so much to do.

15. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    I just smashed two "trrible" droid in a row. With those new guns... :)
    I have rescued Uncle Jeb, now I am looking for alien codes. All prices gone high so much and I am afraid I won't be able to afford anything new at present.

It's time to hunt for ores, again :) And what is Your progress?

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #36 Vovin, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    I have to admit: we have a fantastic start this year in games for the iDevices!

Space Miner is mega-polished, with great sounds, music and graphics - and the overall gameplay is pure fun. There's a lot of content in it, controls work fine, no glitches, no lags - just wow!

This is - after GTA - another true console experience for the iPhone.

I think, 4.99$ for this game is cheap - because it can easily compete with much more expensive games from the PSP or DS. :)

I just played through mission three and nearly laughed my a** off! :D

17. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    So did I!
    My jawl knocked the floor when I had to crack half-display big ores. It was epic! And with a drill installed I made it really fast.

I have already defeated a few boss-drone. Most of them were easy, but the last one kicked my butt a bit. Keep tracking ancient alien codes. I winder what that mysterious alien ship is... ;)

18. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Wow... definitely will be one of the best games this year.

Its amazing how a simple game like asteroid when repackaged, reimagined, redrawn would be such a fun little package.
    Definitely worth the price, and Ive been playing for 5 hours straight now... cant put it down...Truly epic

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

As I said. :)

With this game adding one more great title to the iPhone gaming, people should recognize that it really can pay out to design games for the iPhone - in console quality!

20. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

This is one of those games you can't put down after you start playing. I played until I died after looking for the alien code mission. I'm playing on normal mode and plan to play on hard afterwards. I can't even imagine what hardcore is going to be like.