iPhone Space Hulk - (by Full Control Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Community Manager at Full Control Ap
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, I can see if I can get it in there...a bit trickier now that we have localized versions.

1) True
    2) Would be possible with weapon loadouts I suppose...also an idea that's been discussed at the office. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure one of the Space Wolves has a claw and a bolter

2. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The whole system would need to be changed for that to be possible. right now you see the result of the rolls instantly, so if you have animated dice rolls you have to wait for the dice to roll and then see the animation take place in the game. It would also slow down gameplay as you would need to see the roll for each action think of 5 genestealers running down a corridor where terminator is in overwatch..or a terminator doing more and fire

3. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    #523 Kotovsky, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Ok you don't want to change this, but you can give us option to choose uor squad members. That will solve the problem, I just hire plain bolters instead of uber cool Claudio and Gideon.

Also it would be nice to have load option during the missions.

I played PC version and it's graphics a way better. Is it possible to enhance graphics for IPad Air.?

4. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well with gideon you also get the CP rerolls ofc.

Load option for what, just the game or?

For ipad the graphics are pretty good, but will look better on PC. The PC version also cost $30. At the moment you can't enhance the graphics further.

5. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    To load savegame with everyone alive without quitting to main menu. Loosing one bolter in the middle of the mission usually means, that in 2-3 turns you will be overswarmed.

Errors in manual (english):
    Attacking - reference to RMB.
    Action Area - using "click" instead of "tap".

In some missions (Defience of Honor campaign 1st mission) sustained fire icon and bonus didn't appear after firing at the target. Can't be more specific.

And I'd like to suggest "boardgame" animations option, with instant moves and no fire sequences, so we just see the results of our actions. My troops surrounded by 20 stealers, and it's very boring to watch one fire animation a dozen of times.

6. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    I think that price tag depends of the platform not the quality of graphics.
    But it's OK, I can afford 30 bucks to get nice visuals in ipad version )

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This would be a nice option but you could always just turn the animation speed up to fastest in the options and have a similar effect for now.

8. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Devs should make area near the buttons unresponsive to taps. Everytime I miss a button a bit on my mini retina, troop go thru all the hallway. Undo button fix this, but partially.

9. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    That seems to essentially remove the entire point of the game. The undo button already allows players to make the game far easier, but I understand the purpose as with a digital port it is easy to make mistakes when playing a turn. Being able to continuously save and reload at parts of a level would simply let people blow through each stage without any real effort.

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Agreed, anyone who is using save/load for each turn or each messed up turn is missing the point of space hulk. The randomness of the dice based combat is where all the tense action comes from in games workshop games. If people don't like it then gamesworkshop stuff is t for them. :D

11. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    I already save and reload, so little interface improvement will change nothing.

This game needs no effort but pure luck. It was discussed already. You can't counter bad roll series, all your efforts can be discarded by bad luck just in one turn, and to start any mission again after some bad rolls is really boring option. What is fun in tabletop is frustrating in mobile gaming against AI.

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I still think saving a reloading completely flies in the face of the spirit of the game. You are basically asking to be able to cheat easier, which makes me question why you would bother playing the game in the first place.

Saying the game "needs no effort but pure luck" is demonstrably false. You can discuss it all you want, but it simply is not true. Yes, there certainly is a rather large element of luck involved, as there is with most games that have a dice-driven combat system. But specifically looking at Space Hulk, unit positioning, path choice, and special ammo/ability usage is just as much, if not more of a determining factor in successfully completing a stage. Generally your notion that that "all your efforts can be discarded by bad luck just in one turn" suggests poor play instead of bad luck. Rather, if one plans moves out with consideration to the possibility of bad rolls, it usually takes several instances of bad luck for their entire plan to fall apart. Granted this can and does happen, but its hardly because of one string of bad rolls.

Honestly, from reading your posts it seems like the game may just not be for you. You essentially want to game altered fairly dramatically to suite your tastes. A more realistic approach would either to look elsewhere for something that would frustrate you less, or read up on strategies that may help your play throughs:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/412041/space-hulk-third-edition/strategy

13. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    #533 Larni, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Reloading?

Does that not rule out a great deal of chance? Isn't the point of this kind of game the highs and lows of random rolls?

This one time, at band camp I had on Librarian left with about 20 squares to go to get out. In any other game I would think, "��������it" and quit because in a fair game you would have no chance.

In a admittedly swingy game like this there is always the out side chance that the Emperor's gaze falls on the loan hero and he makes it.

I like that, sometimes. And if it goes the other way and the Emperor is dreaming about kittens or bsicuits and I loose four guys in one brutal round I chalk that up to Grim Dark 40K.

14. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Save/ load legitimazed by devs, so I really don't get it why you guys pressing on me for using it.
    I spent 10 bucks and trying to have good time with this game. I can't just skip it now, my geschtalt doesn't allow it )

15. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't think that we'll add an extended load function as the undo covers it "okay"..how often do you save?

Thanks for pointing out the errors, the ones responsible have been notified. I will have to test Defilement of Honor for sustained fire issues.

We added a speed up function instead of the skip, that was our "fix"

16. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    I save every 3-4 turns.

Undo will not bring fallen to life and I can't afford loosing anyone since stealers are infinite and every dead bolter means 20% less firepower.

17. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    IMHO, sometimes need to sacrifice terminators, by intention or not, even if it's a bolter. Losing bolters need not necessary mean end of mission. And definitely game not purely about luck.

But, I can see why having a LOAD in options during in game to load a previously save slot instead of going options, quit to menu, go campaign, click load, will be quicker in terms of flow.

18. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I understand saving in RPGs a lot as I'm playing it for story rather than anything else. But saving in a board game every 3-4 turns I don't really get.

The only reason is use save is if I have to stop playing for a while.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Am I the only one who does not do save/load?

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I don't use the save/load :D I usually just sit down and play one mission through in one sitting. I have saved mid mission a couple of times before but that was down to stopping playing so I could come back to it later and not to cheat the system :confused:
    Seems weird that people are even doing this, totally defeats the point of the game.