iPhone Space Hulk - (by Full Control Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    When you compensate for the luck factor by adjusting your playstyle, things get a lot easier. Normally, I don't like too much dependency on luck. But here the scope is small enough (2 squads max, not dozens of units) that for me it makes for interesting tactical gameplay. And it is much more forgiving than e.g. X-Com.
    This kind of gameplay requires a completely different approach than e.g. an FPS. You absolutely need to focus on teamwork between your guys.

Examples:
    - One Marine on Overwatch is only enough to guard in long corridors. Solution for other areas: Set up overlapping Overwatch. I use up to 3 Marines (highest so far) for this; but 2 are usually enough.
    - Close quarters? Put a melee guy on Guard, to block of a critical path.
    - Moving a Marine directly in front of a spawnpoint prevents Genestealers from spawning there. Works great with the Librarian, for example.
    - When things get dicey, keep at least one CP in reserve to clean bolter jams.
    - Need an (almost) guaranteed kill? Assault Cannon, Flamer, Psi Storm are the answer.
    - Flamer is also great for covering your retreat in some levels.

So far, I only lost when I got sloppy. For example my typical mistake "moving a bit further is okay, one guy on Overwatch should be enough." -> Hmph, no, reload from 3 turns back.

2. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I knew all this tactics but still you can't fight bad luck with skill.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    True. All 3 Marines on Overwatch missing that one Genestealer and getting butchered? That's when I reload ;)

4. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, the story of mine ) I call this bad design. Maybe dev should add ability to add command points to close assault throws. This way marines will not loose so hopelessly in melee.

5. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Haha, I actually left all 6 points to reload from jams once and ONE marine burned through them all in a row. I bet he wished he hadn't broken up with the girl that supplies their gear right before the mission.

6. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I don't know if this is a bad design, rather it works exactly as intended. The game is not meant to be a super deep tactical masterpiece, rather a push-your luck game that can be won or lost on the roll of the dice. There are enough decisions to keep the game interesting, but it certainly is not a game in which the outcome is determined by a player following the universally known steps to win a specific mission.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Exactly. The fact it's quite random and all down to a dice roll makes the missions both replay able and tense sometimes.

8. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah.

The fact that you cannot predict how things will work out makes every game tense.

Will I jam?. Will I get a good CP re roll? Will those lightning claws hold that switchback?

Will I press end turn at the wrong time?

It's always different. That's why it's such a good game.

9. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    The only reason I regret not having undo in MP. My wife caused me to swipe by accident, and my over watching marine moved away from the position he was protecting and used the command points I was holding onto. Argh! About to get my ass kicked.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    As it stands, Space Hulk 3rd Edition, which is what this app is based on, is so much easier to survive compared to 2nd Edition. In the earlier editions, once a Genestealer closes with your Terminator, it was all over. And bolter jams usually meant death.

iPadisGreatEitherTurnedIntoASpaceHulkTactialMavenOr3rdEditionIsTooEasy....

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Indeed. I never played the boardgame. But I remember playing both the 90s games on PC back then. Never completed them, they were way too unforgiving.

12. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I remember playing it when it first came out before all the new fangled rules came out.

Genestealers would really get you.

A good way to get a bunch of cheap models, though.

13. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    You know the difference between live tabletop gaming and solo play in computer game, right? What is cool to the first ills the second.

During 11 mission I've reloaded about 50 times on normal, and that's frustrating.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Maybe wrong strategy? Youtube videos seem to show that most of the levels are passable with right tactics.

But I totally get where you are coming from. Maybe the developer can take a leaf from Tin Man's book and offer a Fudge The Dice mode, where the player can just auto win combat. That is a feature I appreciated in their gamebooks, because in reality, most of the time readers just read on after losing a few times anyway.

However, my personal opinion is that the tension in Space Hulk will be reduced if Terminators have a better than 50% chance of surviving close combat with Genestealers... After all it is a game of the range combat guys versus the close combat guys.

So the best thing the developer can do, is to unlock every level right from the start, so that players do not have to play them through in sequence unless he chooses to do so.

iPadWantsAniPadAirToPlaySpaceHulkButOhThatYearOfTheHorseOptimusPrimeIsSoTempting....

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Still need 3 more missions till I am there (doing other stuff), so I cannot really comment yet.
    What made you reload so often? E.g. did you get swarmed all the time? Or did you overextend and your guys had to face down Genestealer hordes alone? Does this level have no good positions for setting up Overwatch? Etc...

Will try to remember to post my walk through m11 when I'm there.

16. Kotovsky

Aug 22, 2012
    In 11th mission you get a 2 bolters, claws, gun and flamer. And there are too many corridors and doors. So you can't cover by overwatch all passages and close assault happens very often.

Also you got brood lords here, and looks like they ignore sustained fire so you must throw natural 5+ to shoot them. In melee they are unmatched.

And I like to win games on my own, without watching youtube videos ) second time it would be much easier of couse.

17. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Anyone here know if posting in Space Hulk steam discussion require installation of steam client? Do not wish to install just to feedback to dev for IOS Space Hulk

@Ajso
    Please have a fix for achievements and difficulty reset problems.

18. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    No you can get to the community forums via a we browser. However to post you will need an account. (I post occasionally via my iPad)

General Discussion forum for Soace Hulk

http://steamcommunity.com/app/242570/discussions/

19. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks, I tried that, twice registering, but somehow steam just couldn't sent me verification email. Seems to block gmail? Anyway, inform them and as usual, twice telling me same answers, robotic answers about check spam folders etc. I did not install steam client though.

So hopefully FC can use TA also as an venue too for IOS Space Hulk stuff

20. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Picked this up over the weekend, couple of q's.

1) Is there no dedicated tutorial as such? I get tips pop up on the first mission, but they were generally AFTER I'd done something (I.e. I had to move my marines, which I did - not knowing what I was doing at all, then after a tip popped up about how to move the marines, which I found really odd?)

2) The top right of the screen says "Not logged in". Logged into what? Cant see any option to log into anything?!

Otherwise, enjoying this so far.