iPhone Space Hulk - (by Full Control Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    news from the developer (posted at pt forum):

"For whoever is still here. We have a release candidate ready with all known bugs fixed as well as 10-20% less memory usage (depending on mission). Running tests and then uploading expedite to Apple tomorrow if all is green after testing.

App size - this is a PC game cooked down enormously from the PC version. We have spent 3+ months cutting, chopping, optimizing. Whats taking up the size is levels. We have a lot of levels that have a high amount of detail. Since we cant make an iPad 2 special version, the builds include a "low res level" and "high res level". We are working on a system to only download whats needed - removing the need to pack it all into one big binary. Will not be released until after new year, but its working - needs lots of testing."

Sounds great,i'm gonna buy this when the update is live.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet sounds good, I know even me using an iPad4 I would download a lower graphic version of this just to save on file size as the graphics don't really matter for me, having only a 16gig iPad the size is more important sure fancy graphics are nice but I grew up playing Atari so I can live without them :D

3. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I grew up with Atari (2600)as well and that's exactly the reason why i DON'T like to see this graphics anymore.Enough is enough ;-)

4. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    I was already grown up when Atari 2600 came out. I loved it. Me against something totally new on my Telly. But I feel it should be games for the time. Now it's 2013 not 1979 so we need games that look like they've progressed accordingly. Space Hulk gives it to you in spades. I want the graphics and the gameplay and the sound. SH has it all along with the likes of XCOM EU and WHQ. I love retro too when it's done right like the new Sonic games and the Vectrex emulator. But games like SH are not in that genre TG.

5. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Woah guys I'm not saying I want some retro looking space hulk just that I'd rather the graphics be bit worse in favour of a smaller file size, warhammer quest manages to come in under a gig and that looks really nice so how come this is three times the size?

6. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Community Manager at Full Control Ap
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The simple answer would be, Warhammer Quest is made for iPad it's not a port from PC to iPad.

7. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thanks for the quick reply, spacehulk isn't going any where from my iPad regardless of the size, I've just had to "sacrifice" lots of other games by thinking do I really need to keep that, it's by far the biggest game I've ever had on iPad, I know xcom was around the same size but that never tempted me half becuase of its size and half becuase I've never played it before so don't know what I'm missing :rolleyes: but when it came to space hulk my nostalgia glasses are so clouded that nothing stood in my way and couldn't be deleted :D glad to say. It's living up to expectation.

I'm currently upto escape route in the sin of damnation campaign and loving every dice rolled second of it. I skipped ahead and did mission one from the messenger of purgatory set and then I've got all the rest of the extra missions to do from the other packs,
    I can't see me ever deleting it because it feels like part of my childhood :D

8. Ajso

Ajso Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Community Manager at Full Control Ap
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Glad you're enjoying it so much, and hopefully even more after the patch up. :) Warhammer Quest is also top down 2D, which also means a lot for the size of the game.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Can Space Hulk also introduce a top down 2D view?

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    +1 to this ^^

11. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Not sure if this is a big or not but the mission complete text says
    "honour is served ? The relic is returned"

And the question mark is in a square as you can see in the pick??

Attached Files:

12. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

Patch is out. Another 1.96Gb to download. Wow.

13. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Iphone!?!?!?

14. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    How much space does it actually take up? I'd be installing from my laptop's iTunes.

15. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

#355 CzarCastic, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    After the update, the app is 3.2 Gb installed on the device. I don't recall how big it was before the update, but the size didn't change much.

16. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    App size to me is understandable since as dev said it's a port. Plus I like the 3D.
    Dev is responsive to issues raised and now there's a patch. I have now bought it and the DLCs as well to support them.
    Hope theres more to come for SH.

One question, the future space wolves is going to be a campaign DLC or it's actually an entirely new app altogether ? Dun know much about SH world yet ..

17. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Edit: double post

18. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Has the patch improved matters?

19. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Very much so, loading times are none existent, the hulks move faster even on normal speed, and loading saves now works.

20. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    :eek: Why?
    I'm not happy with that change. The speed was perfect for me, after all those fast games with unnatural movements. Why are gamers impatient nowadays? I prefer a realistic atmosphere.

Well, the game's still loading so I didn't see the changes yet myself, but this doesn't sound good.