Universal Space Harvest: new RTS game (Now a Universal App)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pokeb, Jan 26, 2010.

1. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I take that back. I had one or two other previously-stable apps crash, too, so I suspect that it may have been a lack of memory.

Also, sorry for the four posts in a row!

2. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    still wish i could see a 3rd party vid review or a lite version of this to try.

3. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

4. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    this game looks really nice
    will buy it when i will get a new gift card

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #65 ImNoSuperMan, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
    v1.1.2

6. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Looks great i will try it out!

7. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Version 1.1.3 update is out:

What's new
    - Fixed graphical glitches and significantly improved display quality on iPad
    - Updated for iOS4
    - Harvesters can now be ordered to harvest from a different area even if they are already harvesting
    - Bats will abort landing if their spaceport is destroyed
    - Levels 1-4 are now unlocked by default
    - Minor performance enhancements
    - Added Appirater ratings dialog
    - Added PlayHaven support

8. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    I just bought the game and it's pretty fun, but why is there a lag between the moment you tap, and the moment the tap is registered by the units...?

I'll tap a unit, it takes a split second for it to be registered. If I send them somewhere, it takes another moment for the movement reticule to show up on the screen, and another for the units finally move. Why is that?

9. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the feedback! I'll certainly see if there's anything I can do to reduce these delays in the next update.

10. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

I haven't posted any promo codes here in a while, so here are a few more:

NEWKAXNTKT9L
    L7EFP79RXJNT
    9L43NM7TLFEF
    YKHHPTXLM9MN
    NWNF3K36KJ7A
    7NAPM6RXJ733
    LE4E6X7AA6MX
    RX6XXM9KLK7H
    M7JYP7ANYFXH
    AEJP6R6679LM

If you take a code, don't forget to leave a rating! :)

11. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    L7EFP79RXJNT got that one... thanks... will post a review in iTunes soon as I actually play it...:)

12. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Took 7NAPM6RXJ733!
    I'll be sure to post any comments.

13. BBD

BBD Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Grabbed RX6XXM9KLK7H. Thanks.

14. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I have a few comments in the iPad version:
    1. Would it be possible to make the graphics more crisp when you zoom out?
    2. You should have an in-depth tutorial level, because even though I figured out the game, I was a bit confused.
    3. They might already Be in, but difficulty levels would be great for new players to the game who might not be familiar with the genre.

Otherwise, the game's great. I'm glad it's universal.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    any problems running this on iOS 5?

BTW, thank you for the sale! =o)

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    First off, I think the kind of difficulty balancing you're talking about is a very difficult problem to avoid. I don't know if you've ever played Master of Magic, but it's a great mid-90s strategy game. Anyway, I generally found that for me, the way I'd win was to eventually have a large enough empire that I could whittle away at my opponents after there wasn't really any possibility of them winning. Before that, it was mostly a matter of hoping they wouldn't bother me. Thusfar, that's how I've won the first few campaigns in Space Harvest as well.

Space Harvest is a lot more confined though, and I'm really bad at defending against an opponent that always has considerably more power than I do and starts on my doorstep. I can see how going defensive initially would be the best way to go, and that's what I'm inclined to do. However, I'm having some difficulty understanding the way the game interprets range. If I wall off choke points with turrets, what usually happens is that a bunch of enemies come up to them only one of them fires back while they take it out. They proceed to do this to all of them eventually. I also find the gate placement a bit iffy. Sometimes I can only put a gate down perpendicular to a wall, which defeats the purpose. I think maybe you should have given turrets better range than ground units so that when units attacked one turret, they'd at least get hit by the ones next to it too. What's been happening to me lately is that I can block out the enemy after continually rebuilding turret arrays, but by then I don't have the funds, nor the shrooms left in my enclosure to generate them, to launch any sort of counterattack worth mentioning.

17. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

I haven't, but it looks neat - I'll have to track it down! :)

As far as I can remember (it's been a few years since I wrote this code :)), turrets, bumblebees and tanks all have the same attack range. They can attack any valid target in that range, as long as they have line of sight to it. For tanks and bumblebees, walls, turrets and buildings can all block line of sight. For turrets, only buildings (not walls or turrets) block line of sight. Units do tend to attack as soon as they get in range of their target, so it's likely your other turrets are just out of range of the attacking units.

If you want to wall off the enemy (the most reliable strategy on a few of the levels), remember that turrets are a lot more expensive than walls. If you just want to keep the enemy busy, building thick walls several deep can really slow them down.

Gates try to guess at the best position and orientation based on the locations of the walls around them, but they sometimes get it wrong if you have other walls nearby, or there isn't enough space for a gate in a particular orientation.

I agree that a mix of different ranges for attacking might have been better, it's something I'm playing with in the next game.

The best strategy for most levels is to reinforce your base or block routes to it before launching an attack. However, as the game progresses, later levels give you less time before enemy forces will start to overwhelm you, so you can't postpone your attack too long. If there's a particular level you're stuck on, I'm happy to provide hints.

18. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I'm not too far. I'm stuck at Chapter 4 where Li is trying to destroy the large mushrooms. What I was planning to try next time is to rush her base early on, take out the mushrooms she has inside it and then go back on the defensive for awhile until it's likely I have more money than she does.

Also, do the opponents in the game follow the same rules the player does in terms of making money, or do they get phantom resources on top of those?

19. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

*Spoilers follow* :)

Walling off both enemy gates and biding your time while you build a decent-sized attack force is the best approach on level 4. Take out the units attacking the mushrooms (you don't have to save them all to win, but it's best to save as many as you can), then build walls with a few turrets.

Build MrChoppy as soon as you have 5 or so harvesters, then build a refinery close to each batch of mushrooms when you have enough cash - this will speed up mushroom collection. Keep repairing your walls and turrets after each attack wave. You'll generally find Li only attacks one side at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Build the Power Tools upgrade, then build another spaceport and start building tanks in both. You can sell your starting refinery and science lab once you're done with them for more cash.

By the time mushrooms start to run out, you should have 10 or so tanks, which should be enough to take out the turrets by the gate. You can probably preserve some of your starting bumblebees too if you build a recharge pad to repair them. I don't think there's a big advantage to attacking from one side or the other, but don't attempt to attack both gates at once. Focus all your units on one turret at a time to take them down as quickly as possible.

[​IMG]

Once you break through, focus on taking out the solar stations at the top of the enemy base. Taking these out will disable most turrets and a couple of the enemy spaceports, so she can't build any more units near you. At this stage, build bumblebees to mop up enemy units.

[​IMG]

After that, it's pretty easy. :)

AI players have the same restrictions as you (earning power, attack power, fog of war etc), so they can't cheat. :) However, they start every level with more buildings and units than you, and often more cash too, so you're always at a disadvantage at the start of a level.

On the larger levels, it is possible to force the enemy to run out of money. On the smaller ones like level 4, by that stage you'll already have overwhelmed the enemy base.

20. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    It's really interesting that people seriously don't have 2.99$ to spare but you obviously have an iPhone/touch/iPad and an Internet connection?

Really? I mean really?

I think I'll just buy this game, and then delete it just for fun.