Universal Space Harvest: new RTS game (Now a Universal App)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pokeb, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    maybe the wate til i come from school?

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Looks decent in the vid, but to be honest there are a slew of other new releases right around that price that I have on my wish list. It's on my list though cuz it does look neat. I applaud your work.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Heck - you're shown offline but you're online? :confused:

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Wow, mate, that's some kind of optimistic faith I surely like to have... ;)

5. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    i kinda like the grafic style of the game
    any first impressions=?

OUTTA TOPIC( i got in both com2us betas )OUTTA TOPIC END

6. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Exactly my thoughts. I will probably get this one day, but I have a lot of catching up to do first.

7. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Graphics look really fun, bummed i missed the codes.

8. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    gosh i really like RTS games too and i was hoping to get a code too, its ok though i may check it out later. I like the walls and the look of the game. It looks at just the right speed, I think we all know what my curent favorite game is right now :p but i think there's room for more RTS games and this one looks really good.

9. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #29 HardcoreEricXXX, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    One question, when your units are on their way to a spot you point to, and they are attacked by an enemy unit, the enemy attacks a nearby building, or see the enemy in their sight radius, will my units automatically attack back or do I have to give the units a direct command to retalliate?

10. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Orders you give your units generally take priority over any decisions they make for themselves. There are a couple of exceptions:

* When a unit is hemmed in and unable to move or attack the thing you commanded it to, it will automatically attack enemy stuff that is in its line of sight.

* Tanks can attack enemy units and buildings that come into range on the way to doing something else, as they can fire in a different direction to the one they are facing.

If you haven't given a unit a specific order, it will act on its own, including helping nearby units or structures under attack, and following escaping enemy units.

:)

11. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Is there a skirmish mode, or only campaign?

12. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

There are just 7 campaign-style missions for now. I'd like to add other game types in a future update.

13. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    are there 1on1 maps or can you play against more opponements

14. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

If I'm understanding your question correctly, most levels are against a single opponent, but not all.

15. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    yes that was my question
    going to pick this up when i get my new itunes card
    < bad english ... i know >

16. howling techie

howling techie Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Student
    Warrington, Cheshire, UK
    Wow, decided to pick this up based on the video and screens, and I have to say that I am impressed with what I have played so far. The control scheme is as good as it can be, and the graphic style is perfect for the platform, but that could just be me preferring clean cut isometric over the usually lag inducing 3d that usually comes with RTS's. There is a very strong feeling of C+C, with the harvesters collecting scattered resources, and the vehicle design bears a slight resemblance as well. However, for the price, this could of done with a few more levels, but with the confirmation of more levels and possibly multiplayer, this could be an essential buy for any RTS fan, especially those of you who though that that C+C on the iphone just not good enough.
    Graphics: 8/10
    Zooming shows slight graininess, but otherwise was a perfect choice.
    Game lifespan: 6/10
    A bit short with only 7 levels, but new levels and multiplayer will take this to an 8 or 9.
    Sound: 7/10
    Great sound effects, but no background soundtrack, who ever, this may of been distracting (don't know if its absence was intentional or not).
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Simply but a great RTS, if a bit lacking in the story department, but on the whole, that doesn't really matter.

Overall 7.5/10
    Great game to start with, but extra levels are needed to justify the price, but these extra levels and a rumoured price drop would push this up to an 8.5-9/10

17. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your impressions! :)

You mentioned C+C, but I think the game that most inspired Space Harvest was Dune 2, that was a game I *loved* as a teenager.

I originally had more levels, but I cut some out during testing - I've tried as hard as possible to make each one fun, and different from the others in terms of strategy. Certainly, more levels are top of the list for the first update. (New structures, units and scenery are planned too)

On the background soundtrack, I would have loved to have had music...sadly I have no musical ability. :) If the game sells, I'd like to look for a professional musician to work on some awesome early 90s fm-synth music (think PC DOS games with adlib sound, if you're old enough to remember those...).

With multiplayer - I'd like to do it, but I should imagine it's a fair bit of work, so I'll certainly focus on improving single player first.

Again, thanks so much for sharing. Anyone else who gets a copy, please do let me know what you like / don't like - this is the first version, and I'd like to improve it.

18. howling techie

howling techie Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Student
    Warrington, Cheshire, UK
    Now that you mention it, the similarities are striking, and you could not of chosen a better sci-fi RTS to be inspired by.

Brilliant, I cannot wait!;)

19. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Great game. I love the graphics style and its so much fun.

20. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Space Harvest v1.1 out now!

The first update is now available, including an updated UI with more control over units, improved touch sensitivity, 2 new maps, new structures, flying units and more!

[​IMG]

I've lowered the price and it should now be compatible with iPhone OS 3.0 devices so more people can give it a try.

More promo codes:

YAX7RTXJ7YPX
    XJ9FWA6AM7KP
    P3HKXH376PYY
    T7P79WJE9Y6T
    HK3J7XF6X69N

Again, any feedback gratefully received!

Ben