iPhone Space Harvest II (by All-Seeing Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 28, 2015.

1. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

For all those who got promo codes, please do post your thoughts here – positive or negative. All feedback is helpful, both to me in terms of improving the game in future, and to other potential players.

2. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Firstly, thanks for the code to try your game.

I really like the graphics and the sound effects. I did play with ear phones and found the sounds really added to the
    believability of the world. I think the only sound I found to be annoying was the one when you touch a building like
    the command center. I found it grated on me in a very short time. Since much time was obviously spent on the sound effects etc.,
    it would have been nice to hear the units speak when they were selected.

The controls work well. I never had a problem giving orders.

At times, I found it a little hard to distinguish my units from enemy ones. This happened, I think, when I was fighting ones
    that we're close in color to mine.

I like how the first mission has you tasked with getting power up to a base that was just attacked. You need to get to the location before it is
    completely destroyed. You can't just take your sweet time. You need to be on the move all the time. I like how you will need to build bridges
    to access otherwise unreachable land masses.

So far so good. I will play more as time permits.
    Thanks

3. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

No problem!

This is certainly something I'd like to do in future. The robots themselves don't actually speak (except in emoji-like symbols), but some kind of sound that acknowledges the fact that they're ready for your orders would be good.

Ok, that's helpful, I'll try to experiment a bit more with the colours to try to make sure they're more different from the player colour on all levels.

Thanks so much for your comments! :)

4. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    All redeemed..

5. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Ok, one last batch:

6943JFFRLPNM
    PK6X7FWK6EWE
    39FKTL69RW3J
    M63M6HFE3XNF
    RW7KJFL6NKP7

6. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Redeemed 39FKTL69RW3J

Thank you so much, I'll be playing this when I get some time later tonight. This one had my eye since it was released, but a huge backlog held me off. I'll post something tomorrow, once I get a chance to dive in.

7. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Thanks for issuing out the promotion codes for this game, I never played the original so my thoughts are purely based on where I have managed to get so far:

Like gemineye62 I too feel that the colour of the units do clash sometimes and this makes things hard to pick out your own units as well as the enemy units.

Controls are spot on, zooming in and out is easy, unit selection good as is where to move your units to. Double tap and then drag to select multiple units very good. The only thing I struggle on is taping again else where to deselect the units, but that's me and not a game play issue I would say.

This game is not for people who do not like a challenge, I'm still very early in game, started on normal and then dropped down to easy as I kept on having my arse handed to me.

Again the first mission proper is an induction by fire I would say, as I prefer to scout round and build my forces up, but if you spend to long being to cautious you lose the second base your trying to get too, so you have to take risks build bridges different than usual but hey it's good to be different.

I'm assuming pokeb your a big Command & Conquer fan as the harvesting mechanic is straight from that swapping Tibirium for Mushrooms!!. In fact I think it does have a certain Command and Conquer feel to to it, which is certainly no bad thing.

The speech symbols the robots display are helpful as these tell you if your units are busy or not. Maybe some sort of audible warning of when you're base units are being attacked would be very nice.

Will post more impressions when I get further in.

8. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Ok, it's good to have a confirmation of this, thanks. I suspect it's mostly only an issue on the first couple of levels, but I'll certainly to try to address this in the next update.

There is a deselect button in the sidebar too - it's the circle with the diagonal line – see the quick reference (in the pause menu) for a explanation of all the buttons. I do know what you mean – I often find myself selecting other things by accident when I'm trying to deselect something.

Yes. It was really hard to balance the difficulty - I've tried to make the game as accessible as possible, and I think it's probably a fair bit easier than the first one. But, there's no getting away from the fact that traditional RTS games aren't really for casual players. With SH 1, people seemed to be completely split down the middle – some players loved the challenge, others thought the game was unfair and the AI was cheating. :)

Anyway, I will keep monitoring the difficulty – if too many players are getting stuck on easy, I will rebalance a bit.

Yes, the swamp level is intended to be a challenge (even on easy), the difficulty is much higher than the first level.

Get to your ally's base as soon as you can, once they have power, they will help you.

The trick to this level, and really most of the rest of the game, is to capture and (most importantly) hold territory. Don't build one base - spread out over the map, control the mushrooms, and build up a big force to take on the enemy. Bridges offer a strategic advantage - take out the enemy bridges to prevent them sending in more forces.

I liked C&C, but the whole game is really a homage to Dune II, a 1992 RTS game you may or may not be old enough to remember... :)

Agreed, I will definitely look at this soon.

Again, thanks so much for your feedback – I *really* appreciate you taking the time. :)

9. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Here are a few more, grab them while they're hot:

FHWJ7WFEJ9TK
    XA7TNNFMXX4L
    6PEFYJ4AYFWM
    FJETJT3T6XTL
    ANTPLLMAH6EM

10. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    FJETJT3T6XTL used cheers will pop up a rating/review after a hour or 2

11. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Anyone playing this if you like it giving it a star rating could really help.

12. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I'm old enough to remember Dune II, but as a spotty 16 year old RTS games were not on my radar!!

Anyway back to initial impressions cleared the swamp level, now playing Offshore Agriculture wall building mechanic really good with the drop and drag nature. Made sure gun turrets everywhere ready to defend all that comes!

Starting to get used to things, nice twist with the way to get power up and running, really enjoying things so far.

13. gemineye62

Feb 16, 2010
    #53 gemineye62, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    I am just playing the mission where you need to construct elevators.

The only thing I find is that when I give units orders to stop where they are, the odd time they will not always
    stay put. Sometimes they will chase after the enemy after a short while.

Thanks

14. Scrye

Scrye Member

Oct 14, 2013
    I grabbed XA7TNNFMXX4L. Many thanks. Will give it a whirl and post a review!

15. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    All redeemed.

16. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

I don't think RTS games were on many peoples' radar before Dune II came along!

Was a spotty 14 year old myself. :)

Turrets are a great way to defend your base without having to micro manage every enemy attack, and they're ideal for taking out enemy workers that tend to be too fast / too small to select for attack manually. (On harder difficulty levels, AIs have a tendency to protect their units with swarms of workers)

I am thinking of tweaking how wall building works in a future version – I think it's a bit too easy to lay down walls in the wrong place, and predicting where energy gates get built when you upgrade them is a bit hit and miss. It would be nice to be able to tap to erase misplaced walls while you're still in wall-building mode, and also to allow players to build and position energy gates directly.

:)

17. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Hmm - units shouldn't move if you tell them to hold their position, but they will stop holding as soon as you give them new orders (easy to do accidentally if you double tap to select all units of the same type).

I will look into this a bit more anyway, perhaps there is a bug lurking here.

18. pokeb

pokeb Well-Known Member

Here are a few more:

X6AJYMX3KLJ6
    4WP46NNMTPFK
    KXR4FM9WL39J
    RYY4PTNAARWR
    RPRALAFAYMMY

19. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Took RYY4PTNAARWR, will play a bit and leave impressions later.
    Thanks!

20. gemineye62

Feb 16, 2010
    Is it possible to have it so the only units selected with a double tap are the ones
    visible on screen at the time? Sometimes I need to select tanks in an area
    but don't want to use the box draw method because it will select other units I don't want.

Thanks