Universal Space Grunts (by Pascal Bestebroer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sugimulm, Feb 3, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Finally made it thru with the first guy. Opened up the second unlockable character. Have to see what he has on offer. I seem to have done better with the first guy. The luck of finding useful gear helps tremendously. Such a good game.

2. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

the first (big) update is finally here! Took some time, due to finding new things to fix/change/improve and resubmitting it a few times to Apple :) but it's here! Keep in mind this is actually mostly code that's been changed in the first week after development.

The big changes:

- Leaderboards! Finally got them working correctly, even the daily leaderboards!
    (might still bug out at times depending on scores and player names, or even timezones and such random stuff that couldn't really be tested) The Daily really made a difference on Android with many players just playing that one to get in the top ten :)

- Added Tricorder item, when used will show the health of enemies around you (for X amount of turns)

- Fixed a host the dpad issues, including a smaller version for the iPads/pro's.

- Locked characters are now actually locked ;) hope those that figured out they weren't had fun !

- Besides that a host of small bug fixes with sound, rendering, etc.

As for MFI support, it has proven difficult. My old iPad won't even work with MFI controllers.. which puts a real big problem in testing it !
    Portrait mode won't happen, it takes a lot more changes then just flipping the screen 90 degrees.
    I am looking into some sort of swipe-to-move stuff.. so maybe I can have that added in a future update (will test it on Android version first)

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The changes mostly sound good but I have to wonder with the "Surviving a run increases level" thing. While I like getting something for all of my hard work, it seems kind of counter-intuitive to essentially make the game easier for those who have actually completed a successful run unless it means the baddies up their challenge then as well? Is this just a single bump for each character or will multiple successful runs with 1 class mean multiple level increases?

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Small controls = me not being able to play in meeting rooms anymore.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thank you for the update... definitely gonna dive into this tonight and see what all I can check out... but I did start it up to see how the new control scheme looked, and wound up getting into one game. Right away, I got a phone call...

I wouldn't be surprised if my post was lost in the mess of things around launch, but every time I get a phone call while playing and try to come back to the game, it's just a black screen. I can hear the music, but no visual anything...

I'm on an iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Hoping this can be addressed in a future update. =o)

6. orangepascal

it's an option.. so the original controls are still there

7. orangepascal

it's a small bump for every survived run for that character alone..
    so after first survive, the standard weapon upgrades 1 step

it really just means the start of the game becomes easier..
    most people seem to have their weapons fully upgraded around level 8 anyway.

will see how it plays out, can always be removed/modified a bit

8. orangepascal

hmm will look into that.. have to figure out how I can test it on my ipad without phone functionality :D

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I explained that poorly. I was trying them and auto ran into radiation while looking like I was in meeting. They actually work great if you are paying attention haha.

10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Is it just me or the "left direction button" doesn't register. Need to press 4 times just to point in the left direction.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ^^ I'm not having any issues with the buttons post-update. =o/

12. orangepascal

aaaah ! :D

13. orangepascal

perhaps move them a bit away from the edge from the options menu?
    or possibly trying to walk left when there's a worm or something hiding on the tile next to you? :)

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Thanks Void and Orange, will try. Looks like the issue is on my iPad Air 2, mini 4 works fine.

15. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Loving the new update and improved controls! Made it my farthest yet and still going! This is quickly becoming one if my favorites on iOS!!

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =o)
    Can't ask for more than that. Thanks for looking into it.

17. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Bummer, no portrait :( that would have been so awesome.
    Swipe to move would be great actually.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just coming back to admit, you made one of my all-time favorite games ever. This is soooo perfect for me. Setting, pacing, level of complexity. For many reviewers it's "just" a good roguelike, for me it does everything the way I want it. Seriously, I loooove playing this game. Each session feels so entertaining. Still only made it to level 12 yet.

(But I still think the app icon doesn't do this game any justice) :)

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Hey OP, would it be possible to have maybe 3 different save slots so I can have more than a single game underway with different characters. I believe this would be a welcome future addition to what is seemingly one of the most well balanced and phenomenally fun games in creation. Cheers OP, hope the payoff far exceeds the vested time, effort and love you've instilled in this gem. Def up there in my GOTY running.

20. orangepascal

thanks for the nice words! Luckily there have been some great 9/10 4/5 reviews ;) and more importantly the 4.5/5 star user rating on both itunes and google Play are awesome (combined with the 97% positive on Steam).. users are what counts!

and app icon's are crap to get right anyway ;) there's always people who don't like it!

I plan to do a few more of these types of games, cause I never liked turn-based until I made this one. And I'm still playing this myself a few times a week (after over 300 hours of game-time already)