Universal Space Grunts 2 (by OrangePixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Dec 3, 2019.

1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

you got 3 of them? strange, it should only show up once in the bio-lab :)
    and you sure you also played those cards? and not just collected them? - in which case it should literally double your max-hp :)

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes. Very, very sure. I was very excited about it. The first one I saved in my hand for 2 levels before using it.
    And very, very sure that I got 2 more of them after that.

orangepascal likes this.
  3. orangepascal

Pushing a new update end of the week, should fix the Black Rose card and a few other small fixes.

If any players have a request on adding new content, I'm running low on ideas :) already pushed more updates to this than originally planned, but I still enjoy the game myself, and wouldn't mind exploring some interesting new things.. so let me know!

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #64 syntheticvoid, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Well, that's some great news! Staying power with the dev, even knowing the game better than anyone...!!!
    And thank you for the quick fix with that, Pascal.
    :D

If I had to try and think of something to add, I'd probably lean towards colored tiles or alien devices that have either positive or negative short-term effects and would automatically activate once you move to them. Liiiiiiiike..... '+1 attack for all cards played for the next 35 steps/moves' ooooooor 'you stink! All enemies across the stage can now smell you for 25 steps/moves' or '-5 health if you don't engage an enemy beside you for the next 50 steps'.
    Not knowing what effect the tile has until you step on it....
    <shrug>
    This game's so great it's really hard to think of what might make it more fun without it seeming like stuff was just getting shoehorned in.
    :p

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha...

Just beat the Blob Slayer in the spider challenge... just wanted to say that his design was awesome. Made me laugh a bit... and also made me pretty apprehensive about approaching him... was cool.
    =P

... I love this game.
    =D

orangepascal likes this.
  6. orangepascal

Version 1.5.0 is now live on App store (and Android and Steam)

So this update comes with a few small improvements. I found a weird bug in the level-generator, which mostly popped-up during challenges where you would enter the boss-level and find yourself inside a dark void of nothings ness.. it looked cool, but wasn’t very practical ! Found the cause of it, and hopefully it was the only cause, so that it’s now fixed.

I also added all the Patrons, who were a Patron during the development of the game, to the credits of the game, thanks again people!

Finally, I added some more Captain log voice samples, now every area has it’s own samples. On the other end, I also had people requesting the option to turn off the voice sample (mostly due to restarting the game so often, that they got sick of it) … no hard feelings.. it’s just my voice .. BUT the option is added in the sound menu. Altho I also added a little code that will simply not re-trigger the first level’s voice on every game session.. so that probably fixes without having to turn it off.

So the updates are still coming, altho a bit smaller than in the early development stages. Next weeks update is already in development, I just have to do some level designing around the new feature… stay tuned for that ;)

Full changes list:

• added: option to Mute captains voice (see sound in setup menu)
    • added: Patron-names to the credits screen
    • added: More information through Captain logs at start of new areas
    Fixes and changes:

• fixed: Cap-log triggers less often (to not annoy players who don’t get far in the game yet)
    • fixed: bug in level generator causing player to end up in “the void” without a level
    • fixed: Flamer entity image in Codex

syntheticvoid likes this.
  7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Welp, I finally got another Black Rose today.... and it worked as advertised. Just wanted to say thank you for the fix! And also, thank you for the updates post-release!! They've.... definitely solidified this as my favorite OrangePixel game. And.... I know it came out last year... also realize that it's only January.... but I'm gonna say it:;:
    This will be a top 5 game for me throughout 2020. I have no doubts that I will be dumping almost as much time into this as I will be into Dead Cells (.... A CRAP-TON!).

Fantastic job, Pascal. Really-really. Throughly impressive.
    Wish you the best of luck this year (---the promo art thingy you included in your last newsletter looks cool, can't wait to see what you're working on)!!!

orangepascal and Rohit Bhatia like this.
  8. orangepascal

Version 1.6.0 is slowly making it's way onto the app-store today (it's in review at Apple right now)
    So what's in this update:

Let’s change up the level layouts a bit for this update. The game now comes with a couple of new level-design blocks, and also a new “Mechanical wall”. These are walls that slide up and down either automatically, or when you get near them. This makes for some interesting level designs and requires a bit more exploration to discover some hidden hallways.

I also rebalanced the end-boss. He was often found a bit overpowering and too strong to take out, even if you had a huge amount of energy. There’s now some capping on his skills, and I think this makes him slightly easier to beat… of course, you first need to reach him!

The update should be trickling onto App Store, Google Play, Steam and Itch in the next few hours!
    http://www.spacegrunts.com for full Wiki and info

Full changes list:
    • added: update info dialog at start
    • added: mechanical-walls
    • added: variation of new level design-blocks
    Fixes:
    • fixed: better balancing on the strength of The Blob (end boss)
    • fixed: possible cause for rare crashing when using Vial card
    • fixed: Bio-dome showing up multiple times in a game

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    OP: killin it!!
    =D

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmmm.... was the update supposed to hit a few days ago, or was it submitted a few days ago? Because I haven't seen it yet....
    =X
    I've had this issue with a few apps in the past.... just.... making sure it's not just me....

11. orangepascal

For some reason it's been in review at Apple since thursday evening :/ usually takes less than 24 hours. So not sure what's going on.. can only hope they approve it soon, or I might actually push the next update (v1.7.0) end of the week and get that approved instead :)

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #72 syntheticvoid, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Okiedokie, thanks for the response and no worries.
    Glad to know it's not a 'me issue'.
    :p

**edit**
    And WOOOOO!!!
    Finally beat the game today.... beat it with Grimm...
    =D
    Also, checking out my stats, I'm a little disappointed in myself for only spending 13 hours playing this so far.
    Really gotta step up my game!
    =P

13. orangepascal

Not sure what happened to last weeks update.. I guess someone at Apple started playing it (review status) and couldn't put it down? So it never passed the review stage :D

That only means iOS players get all the v1.6.0 goodies mixed in with this weeks v1.7.0 goodies! And v1.7.0 comes with Tornado's ANNNDD it just got approved early, so it's live now on the app store (and will hit Android + PC early tomorrow)

[​IMG]

Another week, another update! This one is a bit fun, I had this silly idea for a Tornado entity. You can’t fight with it, or interact with it.. you can only try to avoid it .. OR NOT! Because bumping into it isn’t pure good or bad.

When you hit the tornado it will reshuffle your full deck (always) and there’s a fairly big chance that it will fling you around the map a bit; placing you on a nearby tile. Both the reshuffle and the flinging might actually turn out pretty well if you are in a crowded area!

There is now also a Tornado-Event added to the event-pool , in which case those tornado’s will be all over and in much bigger numbers than in a normal round.

So enjoy! :)

Full changes list:

• added: Tornado entities – they shuffle your deck, and teleport you to last safe spot
    • added: Tornado season event (many tornado’s)
    • added: new hints (on character select screen)
    Fixes:

• fixed: improved settings menu items

14. orangepascal

[​IMG]

Version 1.8.0 is now available:

A much requested feature is some sort of character customization, so guess what! We now have character customization! It’s not over extensive because the game doesn’t really have a huge amount of statistics that change the game’s progress. There is strength, defense, and tech and of course your health.

I might expand on this in future updates, but such an update will require a lot more work because any extra properties are required to drill down to every system that makes up the game ! So adding properties is easy, but having them connect with all the other game stuff takes some thought.

For now, I think this is a pretty cool step towards modifying the challenge of a single run!

I also made mechanical-walls show up more visibly on your radar, as I noticed some players weren’t aware enough and at times missed the fact that some walls had walls that only open up when you are near them. This should remedy those problems.

There was also, still, some occasional problems with the boss-level not generating an exit/boss/ending. I added a few more checks for when such a thing might happen and then fix those cases.

Full changes list:

• added: Character customization
    • added: mechanical walls are now visible on the radar
    • added: double check for levels creating an exit
    • added: transparency to walls blocking your view
    • fixed: Tornado’s now vanish after tossing player 3 times
    • fixed: progress-menu items design

15. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you very much for all the continuous content you keep adding, the game is fantastic!
    I think I may have asked before but there is no possible way to make a portrait option for one handed play?

16. orangepascal

I looked at portrait mode, but cramming everything on the screen has proven difficult (impossible?). So no :(

17. orangepascal

[​IMG]

It's Friday, so that means: new Space Grunts 2 update is here!

version 1.9.0 now available:

This weeks big new feature comes in the shape of new environment graphics. I decided it was time to spice up the variation a bit, so there are now alternate versions of graphics for each region, and the game will alternate between those for the various levels. It’s a tiny thing gameplay wise, but it does make the game feel fresh again!

While doing new graphics I also added a tiny amount of new level-layouts, so you might find yourself wandering in new areas now and then!

Most of this weeks code was preparing some under-the-hood stuff for future updates. I haven’t been adding new cards because I made a thinking error in my code/design, making it hard to add new cards without messing up a bunch of things like statistics and unlocked buff cards, etc. The code to fix all that is now running in this version, which makes it possible again to start adding new cards in future updates.. I have some ideas already!

Finally I fixed a few bugs and small annoyances.. game on Captain!

Full changes list:

• added: alternate graphics for every region (randomized for more variation)
    • added: new level building blocks
    • fixed: re-organized skills and buff card code handling for future updates
    • fixed: split tornado-event and single-tornado dialog text
    • fixed: healing (sickness) now only works when using a medi-kit or enhancer card
    • fixed: player energy wasn’t correctly saved in saved-game
    for support, questions, or just Space chit-chat, make sure to check discord.gg/orangepixel #spacegrunts !

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =D

[​IMG]

THHAAAAAAAASNK YYYOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

orangepascal likes this.
  19. orangepascal

[​IMG]

Version 1.10.0 is NOW live! and it's a big one!

This version comes with a host of new goodies, big changes, and some planning for future updates. So let’s dive into the juicy stuff.

And IT IS juicy this week, you’ll now find the planet has a host of different fruits and these are a little different from your normal items. Fruit is “instant” so if you pickup a fruit, it’s effects will be instant and not card-based. In most cases the fruit will increase your health with +1 or +3 (depending on the size of the fruit).. but every now and then, the fruit can be rotten.. and there is always one type that’s poison. So figure out which is poison, and avoid it as much as possible.

My idea behind this feature is that it is an alternate way to increase your HP, and it should help getting deeper into the game. Because it helps.. I of course had to add an opposing effect. So you might find that some of the aliens are now more aggressive. I’ve been rebalancing some stuff, and also made aliens more likely to attack you (to avoid being able to breeze through a group of aliens without ever getting attacked).

More balancing is done in the shape of increasing your XP, which should now be slightly faster, so it also makes it possible to level-up faster. Still tinkering with it!

Besides the fruit, there are some new level layouts, there is now a fruit-room, and a bunch of graphical changes left and right.

Another BIG change is the function of teleporters/safe-spots. I always found them a little underwhelming and function-less. SO let’s improve it. The “Retreat” card in battles is now replaced with a “Beam out” card, which will instantly bring you to the last safe-spot (and end the battle). This makes the teleporters suddenly more interesting, because you can now trigger them near the exit, or near a fruit-room, or at least in a safe spot somewhere in the level.

I will be expanding on this idea for a future update, as one of my plans is to start adding some more “tasks” to the levels. Right now the only task is finding a red key, to open a red-door, and use the exit. But I want to add a few things like: the exit might not work, unless you activate/hack a few consoles somewhere in the level. Or the red-key isn’t available in the level, but taken by a monster or a specific NPC has it (and yes, there will be NPC’s coming to the game).

I got plans! For now, boot up the new version, give it a few goes, and let me know if I broke anything else while doing all these improvements ;)

Full changes list:

• added: Fruit – instantly heals, but can be rotten (lowers HP) or poisonous (sickness)
    • added: Fruit-room
    • added: few new level building blocks
    • added: seeding number to pause screen (for bug fixing)
    • added: graphical destruction to walls near explosions
    • added: increased enemy spawns in later levels
    • added: replaced (fairly useless) “Retreat” card with “Beam out” card – taking you to last safe spot
    • added: Trinket info now shown every game on first pickup
    • added: visibility (field-of-view) now smaller when in darkness
    • added: Card stats now show passive/buff card info (and correctly sorts them)
    • added: teleporter spots near exits
    • fixed: minor background graphic improvements
    • fixed: in-teleporting aliens should never be sleeping
    • fixed: slight increase on alien attack-chance in later levels
    • fixed: phantom red-keys (when alternate routes are available)
    • fixed: level-generator bug in 4-direction rooms
    • fixed: small bug in random drops (items, cards, fruit, etc)
    • fixed: VERY rare bug where tornado could put you inside an unescapable small area
    • fixed: “Exit” button on “game completed” screen not working (because of all buff cards unlocked)
    • fixed: lowered “XP” steps required to unlock later XP levels
    • fixed: power-shield card ended turn (for no apparent reason)
    • fixed: monsters now more likely to avoid hazards when moving (like acid)
    • fixed: using medikit at HP station – doesn’t cure sickness

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  20. orangepascal

[​IMG]

Version 1.11.0 is now available!
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/space-grunts-2/id1483206674

Captain, we discovered new life forms! I figured it was about time to add some fresh meat to the game, so you’ll be able to encounter three new creatures, one of which is very fast: it can take 2 turns so might be harder to escape from!

The tornado’s were still causing some issues here and there, so I added more code to (hopefully) avoid all issues where a tornado somehow seems to fling you into the big unknown: Space. Let me know if you still run into those issues (and preferably with a screenshot and through discord.gg/orangepixel .. thanks!)

Transporters now have gotten even more functionality, as mentioned last week, so now stepping onto a transportation spot pops-up a little choice. Either set it as a new safe-spot, use it to teleport to the last set safe-spot, or just ignore it (if you stepped on it by accident).

The last safe-spot teleport is also shown on the radar in Blue.. and I think it’s about time to add some sort of legend to the map-screen in an update soon!

For now, enjoy the life-forms and teleportation functionality captain!

Full changes list:

• added: Transporters now give the option to use them (beam out) set as safe spot, or leave them
    • added: latest transport spot is highlighted on the radar
    • added: new creature: Nilo
    • added: new creature: Brocko
    • added: killed aliens will sometimes lave a smelly corpse attracting other creatures
    • added: some creature can now have faster movement (2 tiles instead of 1)
    • added: “speed” info to alien-codex
    • fixed: tornado’s flinging you around the map will check wider surroundings
    • fixed: multi-turn locks up player if alien dies with turns left
    • fixed: tornado-fling will also show your surroundings (calculate FOV)

Anotherkellydown likes this.