Universal Space Grunts 2 (by OrangePixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Dec 3, 2019.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I really wasn't sure how in the world OP would improve on the original Space Grunts game (because, honestly-I think it's 100% PERFECT). But....
    this....
    THIS is awesome.
    Absolutely awesome.

Thank you so much for making a sequel to what's become my favorite game in your catalog.

=D

Oh!! Hey, I hit #1....

DEEE98D6-2888-4E9A-BFD3-4FDCA3973E46.png

Lull4by, Rohit Bhatia and Rocksaint like this.
  2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow! I missed the swipe controls option. This has reduced my errant movements by 100%.

3. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I don’t understand if there is any strategy in this game ?

you can’t even remove cards from your desk

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There is though. It isn't so much that you can make a deck to suit your play style, it's more that YOU need to adapt your gameplay to what's in your deck at the moment. If you don't have any big attack cards ready in your hand you'll need to work to avoid combat or maybe pick a fight with something small so you can idle and get some better cards in your hand first before taking on the bigger challenges.

orangepascal and syntheticvoid like this.
  5. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    One of my biggest problem is that I cannot see a card before to pick it up.

orangepascal likes this.
  6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

LordGek had some solid advice.

As far as removing cards - there are some portals that appear that will allow you to dispose of any cards you don’t want as well as portals that have other benefits.

After a while you’ll learn what a card will be just by looking at it on the ground. Just takes some time.

orangepascal and syntheticvoid like this.
  7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I think a lot of the plants and objects that won't injure you are there to use as a sort of.... 'get rid of cards you don't want/stock up on defense before attacking enemies' type things...
    There are those devices that exchange cards, or let you access all of your health cards, and then there's sometimes the option to engage an enemy, but do nothing and switch out your first two cards for two cards from the bottom of your deck....
    There's quite a few ways to get yourself primed and ready for an onslaught.

The way it's set up, like Gek said; it forces you to adapt and think of ways to use what you have available. It's added quite a bit of strategy that the original game just could not have had implemented with the way it was set up.

The more I play, the more the game opens up---and yes... it will take time to learn and become familiar with all of the game's mechanics and features.

I.... might actually.... wind up placing in the #1 spot on my 'Favorite OrangePixel Games' list. It's seriously THAT good.

8. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

There's a bit of learning required there. That's why there is also the "stats/data" menu option, where all the cards played in your games are to be found. So you can check them out there.

Other than that.. play and learn :) it becomes pretty much second nature for the most common cards after some sessions!

Rocksaint likes this.
  9. orangepascal

Version 1.2.0 should slowly make it's way to your device today, here's what's new:

I added a new game-mode: Challenges, which comes with 8 challenges (room for more). Challenge mode is shorter than the normal game (just 1 level in every world, including the end-boss) but it gives you certain limitations or changes to the core game play. enjoy!

Also added a new alternate-route for you to find/bump into: Biodome. It's a fairly empty area, but it does come with the Black-rose a new card which is very nice to grab ;)

Also added perma-unlockable Buff cards for those that actually manage to complete a run! defeat The Blob, and you'll get to choose a new buff card which will then be available for every new game and it modifies your character in interesting ways! :)

Other than those things, a few important fixes:
    - fixed keycards sometimes vanishing
    - fixed some aliens becoming invincible

If you have ideas to add to the game, you can always come and discuss it in discord.gg/orangepixel in the Space Grunts 2 channel (especially if you got good ideas for new Cards or challenges !)

10. orangepascal

Finally wrapped up the work on the WIKI (at least the main areas, still want to add Characters and a bit more)
    So you can now find out all the info on the cards, events, challenges, and alternate routes that are, sometimes, hidden in the game!

Warning: reading the wiki might spoil some stuff, so read with caution, or avoid reading until you think you already found all of the secrets ;)

https://www.orangepixel.net/wiki/space-grunts-2-wiki/

(for Sir Questionnaire players, also a wiki available: https://www.orangepixel.net/wiki/)

[​IMG]

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Sweeeeeeeeet!! I had no idea there were wiki pages for your games! Oooooh, I'm gonna have to reinstall Sir Questionnaire!!!

I was wondering if there was any way you could add separate leaderboards for each of the challenge boards?
    Diving into those is incredibly fun. I love it.
    =D

12. orangepascal

will see if I can get some leaderboards up for the challenges in next update.
    Also want to award players with something when a challenge is completed, but haven't figured out what yet :D

13. orangepascal

Okay, decided to push another update before the holidays.. hopefully Apple will approve it before they shut down for a week on Monday :)

v1.3.0 comes with:

- new level layouts, you'll notice a nice collection of different paths/routes being generated now !
    - Trinkets! These are un-lockable by completing challenges
    There are currently 8 trinkets:
    • Flashlight - more visibility in dark-areas
    • Spider - spiderwebs won't slow you down
    • Metal-plate - randomly defends against hits
    • Controller - Disables nearby level hazards (flamers, rockets, fires)
    • Paperclip - Don't need keycards to open doors
    • Poker chip - +1 on deck when inventory is full during pickup
    • Lucky card - your deck gets refilled when empty
    • Bandaid - using level transport completely refills your HP
    Can only carry one trinket at any given time.. and they will spawn randomly in your game IF you unlocked them through completing the challenges

- Annnnd fixed the alien-codex information showing wrong names

venture on!

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woooo!!!

You rock, Pascal! Thank you so much!

orangepascal likes this.
  15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    yep, and imo, that’s about the depth of it really. Not really complaining btw, it is what it is, but honestly, I’ve found the depth here to be pretty straight forward to what you’ve just described, and that’s it.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    <shrug>
    I'm not sure how much more depth you were hoping for....
    Some of the card combinations lend themselves to some really good plays (like that card that lets you keep the last card you played and the booster thingys that raise your HP or the other cards that raise your stats, just.... as an example) - and then trying to juggle the risk/reward for searching every single corner of each and every level....or wether or not to place a bomb and destroy some cards, but rake in some exp by taking out a bunch of enemies....

Then the challenge stages offer quite a bit more in terms of the strategy needed in order to beat them.

Honestly, I really think this is my favorite OP title to date.
    =X

orangepascal likes this.
  17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmmmm.... every time I try and use a Tactics card in the Empty Hands challenge, the game crashes on me.
    It's happened 5 times now.

I'm sure I can find a crash report if you need it - but I'm playing on a 6S with iOS 12.4.... if that helps at all....
    =/

18. orangepascal

Noticed Apple just approved v1.3.1 which actually fixes a crash bug similar to what you mention.. not sure if you posted this before that update or after :D If it does still happen, try to remember which exact card you played

syntheticvoid likes this.
  19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woo! Thank you, Pascal!
    =D

Yes- it did fix the crashing issue I was having.
    =D

orangepascal likes this.
  20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmmm... what exactly are the Black Roses supposed to do?
    I got 3 of them in one game, and they say 'double your max HP and refill your health' but they didn't do either of those things....
    =X
    Is there something I needed to have triggered for them to work?