iPad Space Forest Dilemma (By PapaQuark)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Nov 5, 2014.

1. dabigkahuna

dabigkahuna Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Dang! I got level 100 - always helps to know little things like the order and record times since, at the very least, it avoids trying options that are just a waste of time. And I actually set a new low record on that level. That was a shock.

2. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I made a small addition to the high score list (right next to the player's name). It's a formula that counts how many times the person has the highest score for a level all by themselves. Thought some might find it useful to avoid counting manually. saosijs is a beast!

I wanted to do two things, but I'm a bit rusty on my formulas and it is complicated by only having one cell to work with. I wanted to ALSO list the number of levels someone matches the top score. I can do the formula, but what I would need to do is combine the two as a string. So, for example, if saosijs has 38 top scores of their own, but also has a total of 89 top scores they hold or match, I'd like the cell to result in something like: 38/89

I know it would involve using the two formulas with each result being converted to a text string with the "/" stuck between the two results. But my head is too confused to figure it out. Of course, if the change I made isn't desired, feel free to remove what I did.

3. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Nice BigK! I like your idea. I succeeded in adding the total as well. In the end it was quite simple, isn't it always? :D
    Code:
    =concatenate(countif($E5:$E104,I1), "/", countif(J5:J104,">=0"))
    The first countif is the one you already had created, based on counting names from the Best ($E) column. The second countif is counting the "greater-or-equal-to-zero" values in the players delta column (J here as example). And the concatenate just adds them together with a "/" separator.

How did you do 23 The Tower so fast?? That 0.05 is really fast for a swipe that has a 180° change of direction! For me, swiping very fast, usually some block in the middle is not triggered and even the few times all blocks were triggered, I ended up with a best of "only" 0.12

4. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Cool - I thought each result had to first be converted to a string. If I realized it didn't, I could have done it. On 23 it took a lot of tries. I tap the one next to the bottom, slide down and right back up. Often doesn't get all of them or is not fast enough anyway. Can't remember if I only got it once or more than that.

5. mQuark

mQuark Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Sweden
    Ha ha, that is crazy. You guys totally tore that level apart! What I like about #23 The Tower is that people tend to believe that the purple spinner should cut the green tree. That solution is soooo much harder. Have you cleared it that way? I haven't! This is why GoPlayThat called us sadists :)

Also nice work on the list.

Here is a little game play video I made to show the power of the sweep technique.
    http://youtu.be/8tTeBv3Su9M?list=UU---7M8LbANXLL_j3ocZvpA

Michael (Developer - Space Forest Dilemma)

6. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I see you use the ipad mini - could that be a reason you are slower (have to move the finger further)? I messed with 23 for a few minutes today and couldn't do better than 0.13. Then I tried some more a moment ago and got 0.12 (with other scores generally better than before). In that case I held it horizontally rather than vertical. I know that has helped in some other levels too. Finally, how I think about moving makes a difference (at least to me). In this case, I'm not really thinking of moving towards the spinner. I try to stay focused on just changing direction. This often means I don't even get the first move to work so, combined with often leaving other ones behind, I don't get many successful completions. But if I do, I have a good chance for a higher score on this and some others.

7. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #47 dabigkahuna, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    I could really use some help on 37, 66, and 90. Far behind the top scores on those in particular.

Update - got all three with 2 new records! Now I need to check out which other ones are my next worst ones.

8. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I've been playing this WAY too much! But it has been paying off. I think I've given saosijs lots of new scores to shoot for. While I have the most individual records and total matching records, I still need to pick up some seconds someplace to get above 3rd place. Like to see more players so maybe we'll get more levels later - though how will that work with the present scoring method? I guess all existing scores could be reversed. That is, if someone got 10 seconds on every level, that could be converted to be 90 pts each (100-10).

BTW, I'm having a problem with my iPad Mini when I put the game on it. No scores or achievements show up at all. What's up with that?

9. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Woah, I need to get back playing this. I'm no longer no.1! Kudos for that of course BigK! :D I see I need to go back to these levels in the 60's region. That should be doable. I don't like to see so much levels where I am 1, 2 or 3 centiseconds behind. Usually means putting in a lot of time (retries) or switch devices (which is not an option for me)

I try to use my iPad mini in a clever way, by trying to play in 1x mode when I feel speed is important, but it doesn't render much difference. The in-game GC in 2x mode sometimes doesn't work for me either, but I blame the OS for that (since I experience that with other games too in 1x mode).

BTW, I have been playing too much lately myself too, but another game. No lack of good puzzle games last weeks/months, which is a good thing obviously.

10. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    You only have one over a second behind (53) and it is just 1.27. But unless I can dig up some more, you don't even need that much to pass me again. I think you'll find the 2x mini set makes a big difference when you're trying to get that last hundredth or so in. I've also felt that sometimes the game has more sensitivity than other times. I'll play and get really low scores then go back later and not be able to do it. I also think that maybe ios 8 can be flaky at picking up touches sometimes. But maybe that is my imagination.

11. PQuark

PQuark Active Member

Wow, DaBigKahuna! Congrats on the world no.1 spot! saosijs finally got some competition there. Big ups to you both.

Thanks for the feedback too... we'll take a look at the GC issue. Interesting idea with the reversed scoring too... let us know if you have more ideas like that we'll consider it for the next update!

Oh, and we too of course would like to see more players like you guys so we decided to run a little campaign: if we reach 1000 downloads before Dec 7, premium will be free for a day (we're pretty close). Hopefully that will increase the number of single digit scores and heat things up in the leader board.

https://twitter.com/PapaQuark/status/539914566139129856

Spread the word people!

12. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Two items. First for the players:

Trying to figure out the top score on 61. From what I can see (and considering the best time), it seems you must immediately hit the right item and very quickly slide over to the left. But for all my efforts, I can't get a quick enough response to my first tap. I can sometimes get the right one to launch soon enough to avoid the rock, but not soon enough to also hit the left item to miss. Yet I see no way to get that low of a score some other way. Any observations on how to get a quicker initial response?

For the developers, I would recommend maybe having the "Next level" icon disappear (or move it lower) until either all items are moving for a second or you crash. Many times in my effort to swipe quick, I hit that thing by accident.

13. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #53 dabigkahuna, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    saosijs, I think I finally got high enough that you're going to have to really work to beat me! Only 0.42 seconds off from the present best score totals (on 8 levels). My biggest surprise is having 34 scores that are higher than anyone else. At some point I'll have to see if I can get those scores on my ipad mini, but that will have to wait for awhile because I still want to focus on matching those other top scores.

Not sure, but I sometimes get the feeling that it is possible to move too fast (on complicated levels). Like 41. Can't match the best score. I start on the third arrow from the top, swipe up one, down to the fourth one from the top, continue up to the top, and then straight down. Tricky, but in all my efforts there I felt I moved pretty well sometimes - only to have lots of arrows never move. It seems to happen more when I feel I really moved my fingers quickly. Maybe my imagination.

14. mQuark

mQuark Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Sweden
    Kahuna, your time is amazing and I believe saosijs list helped to spur you on. :)

To answer a few of you questions. First there is no synchronization between devices implemented, that is why your iPad starts from scratch, this is our first game and we had to cut that feature in favor of game play and level design. We are aware of that and it would be nice to have.

Also regarding super fast swipes. The game runs in 60 fps which means that the event to see if a block is touched is executed 60 times a second. If you super swipe over a few blocks in 0.05s this event is not triggerd so many times and misses can happen. We did improve the code by checking if a block has crossed a line between events but obviously for super players like yourself this is still not 100%.

So yes it is possible to move to fast.

Michael (Space Forest Dilemma - Developer)

15. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #55 saosijs, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Good stuff going on here, I see. Myself I've been obsessed with Dwelp lately. But it's weekend and so let's get back to the Space Forest gems! BigK got well ahead of me, wow, that's quite a gap you created, BigK. But let me see what I can come up with and if I can make you sweat too :D

[edit] 2 hours later ...

All my levels are now within 0.10 seconds of the best known time, and most actually within 0.05 seconds. BigK now has 30 levels where he is better than everybody, by 0.0x second margins. To be honest, I'm not going to spend time to close these gaps (various reasons).

Now the funny part, I'm back to no.1 again, with a margin of ... hold it ... 0.10 seconds :cool: And that is because I found a level that could be improved significantly-ish. This tiny advantage obviously will be temporarily, until BigK finds that level too or improves some other levels winning him 0.11 seconds :D

16. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    I know the devices don't sync, but even after playing some levels, nothing shows on the ipad mini score list at all! Well, no scores. Just some text about being able to challenge people. Is this normal?

17. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    saosijs, have you not updated all your scores on the list? Because that doesn't show you ahead while the game listing does.

I haven't done much since last night. My main goal, if it is possible, is to match all the high scores. That's at least 10 levels not counting anything you didn't update. The 8 I used to be behind on have been a real problem for me. Either I'm not doing the right tactic or my timing just never is quite good enough to get an extra 0.02 or something. Are you using the same tactic I describe for 41 above? One of my intermediate goals is to get the longest streak of high scores I can - and 41 is screwing that up!

18. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    #58 dabigkahuna, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Tied - improved #16 by 0.1. I don't suppose that ith the one you said you made a big improvement on? I doubt it since the first two moves seem to require only one option. And, if I did the math right and assuming only one of your scores is missing from the chart, you much have saved about 0.5 seconds on it. That's a lot in this game.

I'm hoping it isn't one of those that has a bunch of arrows to move since they tend to not only be hard to figure out, but even when you do, an infinitesimal timing error can make you lose anyway.

I do hope the developers will add the timing info for even when you crash. It will help to give us an idea if a strategy has potential.

19. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    BigK, 41 you are doing it like I did it too. It's the only way where you can swipe on the same vertical line, only needing to change directions 180°. That seems faster to me than starting to make half-circles around blocks etc. To squeeze the last 0.01 out of a level is not the fun part of this game and as we have observed, it has its complications. Did you read an earlier post from me about the ghost trace (tracing your finger)? It is like the full length of a swipe is not picked up. That, next to the non-detection (Michaels 60fps effect), makes it hard to match high-scores. To me it is not the enjoyable part of the game. And let's be clear, I immensely enjoy the challenge to find the solutions to the levels :D Oh I indeed didn't update the spreadsheet 100%. One level about 0.5 seconds as you observed. I thought to be no.1 once again for a short while at least :rolleyes: I will update the spread sheet, but it is too easy once you know where the points are :p

20. dabigkahuna

Mar 5, 2011
    Retired
    Hawaii
    Well, on the list you are still number 1 since it gives the first person to reach a score the higher position. I don't recall the "ghost trace" post, but I'll look for it. I kinda like getting those last fractions, but not when the level is complicated. One thing that I think helps me is being a musician (I'm a band director). Sometimes I "feel" the "rhythm" of the moves to get the timing maxed out. But it doesn't work so well moving 6 pieces!