iPhone Space Food Truck (by One Man Left)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Nov 3, 2016.

1. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Still no response from the Devs here or to my email - hopefully that's a sign they're beavering away squashing bugs?!

2. OneManLeft

OneManLeft Well-Known Member

No, the lab has all the unique cards for each class.

I'll be looking into the smoothness over the next week and trying to optimize the memory usage even more. Hope to have more news soon!

3. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Sweet! Can't wait.....I'll stop emailing you now! #

Thanks.

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Well I just completed my first go at this, and I quite enjoyed it. For 3/4 of the way I had no idea what I was doing but that's my own fault for not even watching the tutorial video up until that point. I did start watching some total biscuit play through a and it did start to mostly click then. In fact I was cringing watching some of total biscuit and friends' initial time with the game because they were trying to infer some rules and were way off...until they figured it all out. Mind you I had no idea to begin with as well.

I do recommend watching the tutorial video provided and watching some total biscuit playthroughs.

In my first game I went to turn 57 and still hadn't cooked my first meal yet! Lol. It gets quite frantic trying to satisfy the conditions of the crisis scenarios, and I can see those leading to many frustrating deaths after lengthy play, which I'll have to see how I feel about that with time.

For now, I've had a great first run with it, though also must say there were numerous crashes along the way! Seemingly more frequent the deeper I got into the game. I noticed the game framerate really slowed down at character turn beginning when their hand flies up into view but then the event window shows up (every character turn). The processor seemed to really struggle with this transition.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    ^^^^

As above, the framerate and stutter would suggest the processor is struggling with it - which is a shame considering many of the other graphically intensive games out there don't seem to be an issue. Hope they manage to resolve it.

On the subject of tutorial videos - did you not check out the OneManLeft tutorials on YouTube? 5 in total - basics of the gameplay generally and one on each of the characters and the differences in how they play. Granted, I haven't managed to get past the first couple of turns due to frequent crashes so can't say if there's more complexity to it later, but their tutorials seemed fairly comprehensive - at least enough to get me playing my first game and not feeling lost.

You can access them from the game home screen iirc - or just google/YouTube and I'm sure they'll pop up. Worth watching to get your head round the basics.

6. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    What hardware / OS are you guys on? I've not noticed any frame rate drop and haven't had a crash yet, air 2 iOS 10 here.

7. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Air 1 & 8.3.

I realise the game wasn't originally released to run on this setup so I'm really hopeful the Devs can find a fix rather than just upping the required spec again - which wouldn't be unreasonable I guess.....but it would be defeatist and the easy way out.....no pressure OneManLeft! #

8. OneManLeft

Quick update: Unfortunately have spent the last couple of days recovering from an HDD failure so it might take a few more days before I can dig into this proper. As to the aspect of the performance: I'll be looking into ways to increase perf on mobile in areas I may have missed (such as memory consumption and maybe some basic rendering tweaks), but I'm not very hopeful on getting huge gains here sadly.

9. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Gutted! # Have been tentatively waiting a response but have only just seen this. That's a shame - I'd be happy if it was just a case of resolving the crashing, the stuttering and struggling cpu I could learn to live with. As it stands though, it's completely unplayable for me and if I leave it much longer, it'll be too late to get a refund. Might just have to go ahead and leave it a few months before trying again. Thanks for keeping us updated and best of luck with the game.

10. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Enjoying the game a lot, its easy on the surface but with layers and random things you have to be ready.
    But on iPad Air every time I get and ending is a sure crash. I finally reached the goal with the 3 recipes and I cant see the ending or if something happens after.
    Please can this be resolved? I think something goes wrong when the game loads the endings in the scene with the ship

11. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    After having played solo a few times, I got to play pass and play multiplayer last night with the board gaming group and mirroring onto a TV. It was great - good feedback from the group.

There were a couple of issues with UX though. Some cards take you through to the 'action' screen immediately and have no option to cancel or return to previous page. This caused some issues because the card was activated while we wer just trying to read the card (example duct tape or the FTL boost) Actually whether using these immediate cards or others which require additional power, once you go though to action page, a cancel would be much appreciated!

Air 2 iOS 10 and zero crashes all play session :)

12. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Reading in to OneManLeft's replies above, I wouldn't hold your breath too much. I assume the update is still on the way but it sounds like there may be little in the way of performance improvement which, I guess, is likely to be directly related to the crashes on 1gb RAM devices - ie iPad Air 1. Still, I live in hope! #

13. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Yes that replie from the dev don't give much hope but still is weird because is not an obvious problem, is not a 3D graphics game, just a card game with very good graphics. I will be happy if only the crash in the endings is reduced

14. OneManLeft

Thanks for the heads up on this, we'll be looking into this shortly.

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    To be fair, it doesn't have to be graphically intensive to use a lot of memory - could just be to do with how it's programmed. And that's not to say it's poorly programmed - just that this was developed for PC first where 1gb RAM isn't even enough to run modern OS's these days, so having 4 or even 8gb to play with is standard and is ample for how this has been designed to work.

To a degree, this could be 'fettled' to provide a degree of optimisation for lower memory devices but ultimately, if the hardware doesn't have what it needs, it will crash due to lack of resources and no amount of optimisation will fix that. I know I've mentioned that other, more graphically intensive games run fine but they may well have been written to not be such a drain on physical memory. If the programmer doesn't set out with this goal in mind, then changing it at a later date may prove a monumental task and not worth the effort or even be possible without starting from scratch.

16. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    @OneManLeft - Hi. Was just wondering whether that update you were looking in to was still on the way or whether you decided the gains weren't worth the hassle in the end? Thanks.

17. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
  18. OneManLeft

I've got a few bug fixes in the pipeline between SFT and Outwitters over the next month or so on top of new developments. Outwitters will be taking a slight priority in January (to fix some long standing bugs).

19. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Fair enough. Will have to wait then I think. On the plus side, I've forgone my Jailbreaks for the foreseeable and have updated to iOS 10 so would be curious to know if that's helped resolve the problem on my iPad Air or whether it is still hardware related? Refunded the game a while ago though so will have to wait for a bit unfortunately. Thanks for the reply.

20. OneManLeft

While the jailbreak/older iOS could've caused problems. A lot of the issues cited (mem crashes/low FPS) are more closely tied to hardware so I doubt it'd improve your experience greatly.