Universal Space Combat Simulator (by Simon Schreiberhuber)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 1, 2020.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/space-combat-simulator/id1473149077

Space Combat Simulator

Simon Schreiberhuber
    Totally Realistic Space Combat Simulator. We take space combat to the next level! Never has a simulator been this serio…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Totally Realistic Space Combat Simulator. We take space combat to the next level! Never has a simulator been this serious about ignoring that many physical principles: - Drag, that only is applied when convenient and improves flight characteristics - Sound propagation. You would feel bored without. - Space nebulas wherever you fly, because stars alone would be boring. GAMEPAD RECOMMENDED!
    Information
    Seller:Simon Schreiberhuber
    Genre:Action, Simulation
    Release:Mar 18, 2020
    Updated:Apr 04, 2020
    Version:1.1.1
    Size:319.0 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Is there a first person view?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm disappointing. Read one review where it said it was like w fun rogue squadron so I bought it

no controls I can see to go faster which is frustrating. Unsure what to do on the first mission.

Has potential if they had a nice list of missions to go through but there’s like a grid in the corner which doesn’t seem to do much in helping where enemy ships are. No instructions to tell you what the white dimmer button does. There’s a mistake button. Just realised if you kee your finger in it it does something else. Some failed jump ? Tiny writing at the top saying wave 3 etc is coming

badly needed someone other than the dev to QA it

Not great at all. Shame

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Weird. Haven’t had some of these issues. If you play the tutorial, it explains some things like how to go faster or slower (there’s a control on the right side of the screen with a little line and circle that you go up and down to control speed).

Missions also do explain what to do.

Only problem I’ve had is the radar not being much use as I don’t see any enemies on it either.

It’s nothing great but not bad. Would totally like a Rogue Squadron on iOS though!

5. BaronBoese

BaronBoese New Member

May 21, 2020
    Male
    The Dev here,

Sorry you had such a terrible experience with it. If its any solace for you, that game didn't make me any money. The cost of putting it on the app store is far greater than all the revenue this game could ever generate.

And its true, I would have needed some QA. Its just that all my friends kept telling me, the game was unplayable and therefore refused to. Maybe I should have taken that as a hint.

No honestly, I took this as a learning experience to know how the app store behaves and how potential buyers react to that game. Thats not to say that I didn't attempt to make the game fun. It is just that it seemed impossible to make this happen without gamepad. And even then It never felt as good as the old rogue squadron games.

Another factor contributing to it not being fun, is the VR version of this game, I was optimizing most of the mechanics for. It really works way better in VR but even there it lacks some elements I would have loved to see.

Hope you are not too pissed by wasting money and time on that game.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Nah not worried at all. Like I say the game has potential. The basis of the game is good but just needs some polishing and like you say QA

if it had some decent missions and a bit more polish it’ll be pretty good. Also I would go for the retro style graphics to make it a bit different

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That is never a thing any of us ever wants to hear. We all want developers to make the best games possible and for those games to succeed.

Just pointing that out.

8. BaronBoese

BaronBoese New Member

May 21, 2020
    Male
    Thanks guys. You are too nice. It's just that I honestly got a hang of VR and probably going to stick with that instead of doing mobile apps. (Actually I got some surprisingly positive feedback over there)

The issue with more missions was just that you spend so much time iterating when you actually want to implement more technical features. Or try out Unitys new ECS which means scrapping everything you already made.