iPad Space Combat game ideas

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DHrox, Feb 1, 2009.

?

What kinds of space combat games do you want?

1. A gunner game (search Gunner 2)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Free-form spaceship fighting

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Starlancer/Freelancer game

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Dogfighting

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Space trading

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    People loved Zone Warrior but hated Space Rage. What would YOU do to improve those games? What kinds of space combat games would YOU want?

2. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Zone Warrior is in serious need of a story, that's the only fault I've found with it.

Well, that and my friend accidently started a new game when I was like 25 levels into it and I had to start all over again, so saved data would also be good.

But seriously, a story and that game becomes platinum (instead of gold).

3. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    wing commander

anyone remember Privateer - a wing comm sequel on PC around 1994/5? THAT is what i want.

holy sh*t - look at this from Privateer 2 from 1996. The cast of this GAME features: a very young Clive Owen, Christopher Walken!, David Warner (the ultimate villain - Tron/Time Bandits), John Hurt and others...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6NjJffCzo

hell, i've been wanting this on 360 or PS3 for ages.

4. Iolo

Iolo Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Star wars, X-wing.

I used to play it on my 80386 cpu based PC.
    I think it can still entertain peoples, if ported once.
    :D

5. icekat

icekat Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Xwing was ok...but Tie Fighter was the masterpiece :p

*cough*spacetrading/combat*cough* privateer or sundog:frozen alliance *lol* I want that game remade ;)

imagine xwing vs tiefighter, but with accelerometer controls and wifi multiplayer... :eek: lucasarts needs to get on this, now!

6. polyfonken

polyfonken Well-Known Member

I think it's about the time someone resurrected Empire! The old Firebird game for Commodore, that is, 2-D vector shooting, trading and building your (I bet you didn't see this coming) intergalactic empire. Besides, monochrome vectors look cool on the iTouch.

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #7 Jorlen, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
    What I would simply love is a space shoot'em'up with more complex ideas, maybe even some RPG / trading / exploring elements such as:

- You'd start at a known area of space on a space port, with a small ship and some cash (picture DS9 type of space port)

- You'd explore and map out different star systems, survey planets (a la Mass effect) and mine minerals to sell

- You'd trade on different space docks in different areas of space (buying / selling spices, supplies, technology, etc)

- You'd meet alien races, maybe even trade technology (e.g. if you make good with a hostile race you can use their weapon tech, etc)

- There would be uncharted / dangerous areas to go when you level up your ship/gear high enough

- And anytime there's a battle (there could be random ones and encounters) it would be sort of like a hybrid of some blue attack levels and Starcontrol :)

In a game like the above, it can be entirely 2D and I wouldn't care. This wouldn't be about graphics. This above, is my dream game. I'd drop $20 for it, but I know it'll probably never exist :) If I had a couple million, I'd pay John Kooistra (hope I got your name right) the developer of Blue Attack to code this game based on the BA engine and control scheme.

- Jorlen

8. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Indoor 6DOF combat, with a wide range of weapons (homing, ricochet, sniping, mines)... a.k.a. Descent!

9. spacerage

spacerage Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    From the review I dont think people hate space rage.. its getting 4 star average now :)

But this is an interesting topic, as it could certainly give me more ideas on how to improve the game further.

10. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    The original one now has a 4 star average? That's great!

11. spacerage

spacerage Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    well I was meaning space rage 2. Im creating a lite version of space rage 2 though.

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #12 DHrox, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
    In any case, I would love to see a Battlecruiser remake or something along those lines.

13. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    We need Space Trading games.
    Also where is the full version of Void? The demo was pretty cool.