Universal Space Bounties Inc. (By Dancing Cat Development)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Yossarian, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #41 Yossarian, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback :)

I want the game to be challenging that is why from tier 2 bounty missions onward associates enemies take 2 turns and fugitive enemies take 3 turns (then 4 turns for tier 3, 4 and 5 bounty missions).

Tier 1 bounty missions allow the player to settle into the game and get used to the dynamics of the game so when they start the tier 2 bounty missions they have leveled up tough battle hardened bounty hunters :)

Enemies will still have increased damage and health as bounty mission difficulty increases.

Grenades are not always successful (unless it is a frag grenade) so this adds a level of uncertainty which makes the game more fun and at least gives the bounty hunters a chance against enemy grenades.

This may seem unfair but enemies do not have the luxury of using medical equipment (although they do have grenades) so this gives bounty hunters a very big advantage.

People have been completing the game on normal and have started playing the brutal game difficulty and nobody has yet complained that the game is to easy or to hard on normal difficulty so I am happy with the game balancing for the moment.

2. Dahorsh

Dahorsh Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Alrighty. Just wanted to add my voice to the unique pile then, so as to provide an opinion. It still seems to not make much sense in terms of 'shouldn't my guys be just as awesome'. If it's a design decision on your part, I understand. The easiest way to make a game harder is to x2 the bad guys and increase from there. It's your game and I was happy to purchase it and play it. I would rather have rather experienced a tactical turn-based game where the good guys/bad guys all played by the same rules so it felt more rewarding to win rather than having more hitpoints. And after all my blah-blah-blah, thanks for making this game.

3. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I was not anticipating the sole from tier one to two to be so steep. I was kicking ass in tier one and felt like o could go ahead.

Te thing is that with two attacks and nearly twice the damage, enemies do 4x The damage.

Maybe for some of the harder tier two fugitives this is fine, but the spike is a bit much! I would have brought more health potions if I had any idea...

Maybe te abilities will compensate when you get alien relics...

4. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    Enemies tend to throw grenades and attack. They do not always just attack for all of their turns.

Enemy damage will not be constant against the bounty hunters as bounty hunters can avoid attacks (even more easily with defense mode) and block attacks (if they have a melee weapon).

Also, it really depends what level your bounty hunters are (more health) and how much you have upgraded their weapons.

Remember you can buy the teleporter equipment so you can "test the water" on a bounty mission and your bounty hunter team can teleport back to base if the bounty mission becomes to difficult to succeed.

5. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Dev, can it's hard to say how long those updates will take apple. Can you give us the low down on stats?

Does speed increase chances of crits and head shots?

Are heavy weapons more likely to break through blocking?

Are pistols more likely to get a head shot than rifles? What is the difference between the pulse and laser rifle?

Thanks!

6. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #46 Yossarian, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Regarding your 2 star review on the Canadian app store :

1. "Unfair enemy advantages (they can act x2 or x3 times a turn EACH while your characters cannot)"

As I explained before this is a design choice to make the game more challenging as the enemies cannot use medical equipment.

2. "no order of initiative"

This is something that will be added to a upcoming version where you can select the action ordering of bounty hunters during combat.

2. "no trading healing items"

This has been added to version 1.8 which is currently going though apple approval. This should be approved by this Friday or next Monday.

4. "no tactical positioning" "no formations"

This is being added to the game at the moment so bounty hunters have front, middle and back grid positions and each position has its tactical advantages and disadvantages.

This feature will be available in version 1.9 which will be submitted once version 1.8 is approved.

4. "enemy can defend AND attack which makes no sense"

As enemies (on tier 2 difficulty on-wards) can use 2 turns it makes perfect sense. They can use 1 turn to attack and then one turn to go into defense mode.

5. "limited amount of weapons, some of which are useless."

None of the weapons are useless. They all apply damage and some have special capabilities (like rocket launchers can stun enemies). Melee weapons apply less damage then projectile weapons but they have the advantage of being able to block and reflect enemy attacks.

Can you let me know which weapons you feel are useless?

I am sorry you did not like the game and felt it was too hard but remember every game has its own design and ideas and there are no set rules of how games should be designed so that is whats makes games such great fun.

You could of at least waited for the upcoming game updates before giving your app store review but of course that is up to you.

Maybe the upcoming versions will change your mind a little about the game :)

7. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #47 Yossarian, Mar 31, 2015
    Regarding your questions :

1 - No, this is all percentage chance based.

2 - Heavy weapons (rocket launcher and flamethrower) cannot be blocked. I have updated the help screens to mention this.

3 - No, all light and medium projectile weapons have the same chance of getting head shots. There is no difference between the pulse and laser weapons at the moment except the name, weapon image and projectile image.

8. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks for answering that. I was checking out different stats and found that for every two intelligence, the minimum damage range went up by one. When I boosted strength by 3 however, the min. Damage didn't go up for the physical weapon.

I found that boosting speed and agility at first are much much more useful. Actually hitting is so much more important than doing a little more damage, and so is not getting hit. Especially when you get to tier two.

It would be nice for the flamethrower to have some advantage to compare against the rocket which does the same damage AND stuns. Maybe the laser sword should have a higher reflect rate.

The way the damage scales as you level the weapon up, the physical weapons are at a real disadvantage (plus two damage per level, versus 3 for the projectiles), making them useful only for blocking or when you get gassed and can't shoot.

Is there a plan in the update to be able to also choose your weapons?

Just got my first alien relic. I love that it lets me customize my characters a little more.

One quick note about the enemies blocking and attackin at the same time; if it has to be the last move they make it would be more sensible. I think gamers have sensitivity to when the AI is unbalanced. Things like this factor in, especially if there is no explanation why these aliens have capacities you do not. I think if you make design choices like this because it's your style, giving a little thought to the implementation might effect your reviews. I had some some
    Similar feelings but, seeing you were updating it and responsive I was confident it would get better.

I am looking forward to seeing those 4 hidden bounty hunters :)

I do notice that the hit points at level up are really different between bounty hunters. This is a bummer because I tried to choose based on weapons and skills, not on hit points...but by the time I'm Level 30 the difference is going to be huge!

9. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #49 Yossarian, Mar 31, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback :)

The min damage range increase is not a constant 2 for melee weapons or 3 for projectile weapons. It depends on the what upgrade level the weapon is.

So when you upgrade your weapons and then upgrade the bounty hunter strength and intelligence attributes you will notice the attack min value will increase by different amounts depending on what upgrade level the weapon is.

I will update the flamethrower so this weapon has a chance of causing the gas effect (lowers enemy damage from melee and projectile attacks).

Melee weapons are not a disadvantage for the bounty hunters. They essentially add a "second chance" of allowing the bounty hunter to not be damaged (by blocking / reflecting) if they were unable to avoid the attack.

Bounty hunters when gassed can still use projectile weapons. If the bounty hunter has a EMP effect on them they cannot use projectile weapons so this is another advantage to the melee weapons.

Allowing the bounty hunters to buy and upgrade new weapons is in my plan of updates.

Yes, enemies using 2 turns or more (for fugitives) always use the defense mode action on the last turn if they use it at all. They may just decide to just attack for all their turns (with weapons or grenades).

The game does keep track of enemies using defense mode so they will not use it more then twice in a row so this gives bounty hunters a better chance of damaging enemies.

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[thread=243623][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258085][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257837][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257883][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257978][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=257992][​IMG] [/thread][thread=257977][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257884][​IMG][/thread]

Space Bounties Inc.

[​IMG]

Is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

26th March 2015

VOTE HERE

Developers, publishers and/or affiliates cannot vote for their own games!!

11. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    @Andy C83, just started playing 'Stealth inc,' can't believe ur already up there on the leader boards. Well, ya, I believe it. Lol

12. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Maybe this is a Version difference as I am still running v1.4 and Enemies definitely defend for more than one turn in a row and sometimes at the beginning of their turn. They also attack while they are stunned, which doesn't make sense.

Hopefully these updates come through quickly :)

13. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #53 Yossarian, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Actually, looking at the game code enemies can use the defensive mode action for any of their turns as this makes no difference to the player as when the enemy has used all its turns the defensive mode will be active regardless of what turn the enemy choose this action.

There was a bug which is fixed now where sometimes enemies could enter defense mode more then twice in a row.

Enemies never attack when stunned. They can still use grenades though the same way as bounty hunters who are stunned can still use grenades.

You may be getting confused with enemies who are flashed. Flashed enemies can still attack but their ability to attack and avoid attacks is reduced.

14. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Your posts crack me up every time...

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Please dont ask the dev stuff like that. The games $2, come on, we dislike freemium, surely give devs like this the money they deserve. Its TWO dollars

16. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm still finding that my level 14 sword is still only doing two more max damage with each level up. I guess this a v1.4 issue. It sounds like you are already on 1.7 or so; what version is being pushed through the app store now, and is there any idea how much longer the update is—like, if it was submitted a 10 days ago it is probably very close...

Is there a relic for flame throwers? Fingers crossed, I got one for rockets and frag grenades but don't have anyone with rockets and the frag grenades are so weak for how expensive they are...rather block and hit later because medicine more affordable ;)

I'm glad to see the tier 3 enemies aren't suddenly attacking me three times, but just that there is another level of them...better difficulty curve.

17. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    #57 Yossarian, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Version 1.8 is going through Apple approval and should be approved by next Monday or Tuesday with the following updates :

* Added 'Berserker' mode action to combat. This mode increases attacking damage by 30% but characters are unable to avoid or block enemy attacks.
    * Bounty hunters can now pass equipment to one another during combat.
    * Updated brutal difficulty so tier one associate enemies do not use grenades.
    * Added a new sound effect when using defense mode action.
    * Added more information to the space location help screens.
    * Updated the level-up screen information about character attributes.
    * Character health bars now flash if red.

Then I will submit version 1.9 which has the following updates :

* Bounty hunters can now use a turn to change grid position. Each position has tactical advantages and disadvantages.
    * The heavy projectile weapon flamethrower now has a chance to add gas effect to enemies.
    * Fixed a bug where a high tier enemy could sometimes use the defense action mode more then twice in a row.
    * Added more weapon information to the base help screens.

You know you can upgrade some equipment like grenades? When upgrading frag grenades for example the damage range is increased.

The base cost of the upgraded equipment always stays the same and equipment upgrades are permanent (shared across all current instances and any future purchases).

Spending $2000 for a frag grenade is cheap if the frag grenade is max level 20 and does a lot of damage. Also frag grenades never miss :)

18. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Ahhh...so frag grenades can be handy when an enemy is almost dead and defending. Especially in v1.4 because when the enemies are stunned or low on health they defend for as many as 3 or 4 turns in a row.

Do the enhancement boost stats beyond the max of 60, or are they useless at that point?

19. Yossarian

Mar 21, 2012
    Developer
    UK
    Frag grenades are useful at any time but yeah when a enemy is defending is a good time to use frag grenades.

Enhancements will not increase attributes past the max level of 60.

20. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Are there only five relics? I got 5 in tier two
    Missions, and now I'm on tier four and haven't gotten any more.