Universal SOULCALIBUR - ( by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Last I played this SC title, was back when the Dreamcast was still popul... oh, wait, it never was. It should have been, though ;) Anyways, I haven't tried my hands at SC 1 for 8-10 years. Was there a story mode, one that is not in the iOS version? The "(Additional modes are planned)" gives me hope for either that story mode, if it ever existed, and even more so for local multiplayer (as I'm guessing online multiplayer is a fleeting dream. But then, didn't we say so for SFIV for iOS as well?).

So far, I've never stayed my hand from buying an iOS game that truly interested me because of the price tag (I did wait a while with Final Fantasy Tactics and King of Dragon Pass, but once I bought them, I realized I'd have picked up either one for more than the asking price, had I known what good games they are), but in the case of SoulCalibur, I probably would have hesitated, had I not recently seen my wallet swell beyond its traditional size ;) So yeah, I get yer disposition to let this slide by, in spite of all the awesome splashed all over our faces by the trailer.

I'm trying right now, and I canna say my brain appreciates the fried synapses and fizzling brain cells.

Yeah, I reasoned around the possible negative implications of the price point in my first post in this thread. I really hope the game does well regardless, as I want Namdai to keep porting SC titles, as well as other console classics, and possibly even start developing iOS exclusives.

2. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Wha!?!
    Story Mode's gone?

3. bagofeyes

bagofeyes Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Australia
    Can you adjust button opacity?

4. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Looks like a solid port, Namco good job! Now bring us Tales of Symphonia :D

5. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #105 Nudgenudge, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Available in Europe right now.
    I'll try a few options, test the iCade (to confirm if it works or not) and then go to sleep. :D

edit: so a few things:
    - iCade not compatible. :( I'm not losing hope for a future update, but still: sucks.
    - the controls can be moved anywhere. You can add or remove buttons (including shortcuts for hitting 2 or 3 buttons at the same time). Opacity can be changed, not size. It can be set during a round, via the Pause menu.
    - command list is here.
    - it's BEAUTIFUL. Moreso than the Dreamcast version; must be an updated one.
    - 60fps all the time.
    - controls are responsive; I played KOF-i before, and it's the same quality.
    - no Story mode, no multiplayer.
    - there are GC achievements/leaderboards.
    - there is light bouncing on Ivy. :D

My advice: either pick it up now for nostalgia reasons (and it's great for this), or wait for an update with more modes/iCade.

6. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Yeah I got it , for 10 freakin € but what can you do ? I am weak !!!
    Anyway the controls are very good and I like how you can reduce the visibility of the buttons . You can customise the buttons on the screen as you wish .The graphics are quite good, the best looking fighting game in ios, not that it has any real competition. I never cared for the story mode so the arcade mode is fine by me , at least it has a true single player mode unlike the psp sc game . All in all a good effort and a good addition to the iOS library with the objections about the price .

7. Luca89

Luca89 Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Icloud support?

8. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I wonder, how good is namdai's track record on releasing updates? Hopefully more than gameloft.

9. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah, story mode in a fighting game, while nice to have, has only slightly more depth to the generic Gameloft plot, lol.

What's wrong with the PSP single player mode?

10. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    The fact they add retina support shows they at least put some effort to it, and this is exactly the kind of big franchise game iOS gamers were begging for at the dawn of AppStore.

Recent iOS gamers are spoilt with cheap games so they've become very cheap.

The price is no problem for me as long as it has a smooth framerate and great controls then I'm buying it.

It's a must have for those who can afford it.

ps: The graphics on the trailer do look smooth and good! I'm happy they focus on making the game as good as possible instead of dumbing it down just so it's compatible with more devices.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #111 Ayjona, Jan 19, 2012
    Game Impressions

A mixed bag of impressions here, mostly echoing Nudgenudge's post:

Story mode is gone, and as an effect, there are NO additional weapons. You just play through arcade mode, 8 dirty, quick matches, no context or narrative. The App Store description does give some hope for the future ("Additional modes are planned"), but so far, this is a typical case of temporary console developer turned mobile idiocy, the kind that sometimes afflicts large gaming houses: "Mobile gamers don't really want depth or longevity, so let's remove a few major features, and overlook multiplayer completely". All in all, the lack of story mode it is a rather sizeable loss (more so than in games such as SF IV, as in SoulCalibur, story mode is not just a vessel for the narrative, but for additional mechanics, such as the many different weapons for each character), and a wasted opportunity.

But, on the other hand, the controls work wonderfully, and can be both moved and have their opacity adjusted. And the game looks sharp (the actual animations, textures, etc. The HUD elements and controls are aged and ugly), perhaps one of the prettier for the platform, loads quickly, and plays very smoothly.

I'm split. Content-wise, in terms of longevity to the dollar in an iOS context, even with all the different modes, SC feels slightly on the anemic side. Or at least torn free of any greater sense of purpose, context, or narrative. Much like SF IV before Volt came along (had SF IV not even had local multiplayer). But on the other hand, it is actually SoulCalibur on our iDevices, with all the finesse and wonderful gameplay mechanics and feel of the original.

I'll be waiting expectantly for news of these "additional modes". Story mode feels like almost a necessity, local multiplayer probably an inevitability if the game sells well, and online multiplayer a distant and fleeting dream but a far sweeter addition than anything else Namco Bandai could bring.

12. shinrukuszero

shinrukuszero Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    NY
    #112 shinrukuszero, Jan 19, 2012
    Ok as much a fan I am of the game, this port was unimpressive... The only thing I like about the game is playing with the icade... I mean seriously no multiplayer? And form this to be a port and not emulated... And designed specifically for iPad 2 there is NO EXCUSE for the inconsistent frame rate. For this to cost more the Xbox live port as well... It should've had at least Bluetooth multiplayer.

All these are gripes, im playing it right now with the icade as we speak... And will for the rest of the night. And I'm gonna buy the official one tomorrow...

If you don't have an icade Soul Calibur is the reason to get one. Period. And if they get off there lazy asses and port Tekken tag (hell I'd settle for system 12 gfx if they don't wanna do ps2 gfx) that'll be the single greatest reason to own an icade.

On a side note. I just like to extend my deepest apologies to you Android owners for SFIV HD. It is a prettier SFIV iOS port... But at least we had volt for almost a year... Come on Capcom! My Galaxy Nexus phone plays modern combat 3 at iPhone 4s speeds... I'm pretty sure it can handle SFIV volt....

13. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I agree, lack of multiplayer is not fun..

Sanuku said it runs perfectly smooth, 60+ fps on his iPad2. Maybe yours is jailbroken? (otherwise you can't play it with the iCade).

14. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Namco is quite good with games like Pacman CE and Ridge Racer, but that's Namco. Namco Bandai hasn't really released a lot of games so it's hard to predict..

Hopefully, when they said 'planned', they mean plan to be free updates, not DLC (which I know I'd buy anyway) or a separate version (now this is gonna piss me off unless they do what SF4 Volt did for the existing customers to make the transition easy).

15. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Looks like I made the right choice by skipping this.

My reasons were I've already played every Soul Calibur game and wasn't looking to play a port version.

It's just like with Square Enix games, I will never buy any of their ports, but I'll, more than likely, buy any game made specifically for iOS.

Also, as much as KOF-i changed my opinion about traditional fighting games and iOs controls, I still don't think it's a good fit. If you don't have iCade or a game pad then meh.

I would've rather paid $13 for a working IB2 without IAPs.

Just my 2 cents and a bit biased based on having played the original.

16. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Wow. I do not normally comment on things like this but the lack of multiplayer and early gen device support is not cool. $12.99 while not shocking is just a bit cocky for Namco. I am still gonna buy it but damn, the older device owners are getting screwed.

17. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Jailbreaking doesn't cause framrate drops or poor performance on the latest devices. Sanuku has his jailbroken too fyi.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    NamcoBandai published the wonderful Sky Gamblers WWI dogfighting game, which they have been regularly updating (including new content).

It's too bad that story mode is MIA, but I'm glad to hear that the controls work well.

19. Hammer Labs

Hammer Labs Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Why does everyone always get upset when they don't support older devices? Sony doesn't still make games for the original Playstation. Microsoft doesn't still make games for the original XBOX. Nintendo doesn't make games for GBA, Super Nintendo, N64, etc. Newer consoles come along and they stop making games for the old ones. If you want new better games they have to make more powerful systems.

Of course everyone can't afford a new system or a new phone. Lots of companies still make games that work on the older iOS devices. That is great.

Every game can't be made compatible for older devices. Do you want the game on an older device or do you want it to be good?

20. This is one of the best points I've seen yet. This is why I stay up to date with all of my hardware (granted i was a bit late on PS1-PS2 and DS-3DS).