Universal SOULCALIBUR - ( by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

This appears to be the old XBOX version. Absolutely loved it, and played it a ton with friends. It doesn't look like the campaign mode made the port, or the unlockable weapons, but more worryingly, there appears to be no mention of multiplayer? Not even local?

Also, iPhone 4 / iPad 2 only, so I'm forced to pass.

2. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Yes. I want gameplay experience, framerate (Sanuku seems to say constant 60FPS, which is great), and if this has iCade support or not.

3. FeNoMeN

FeNoMeN Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    boring game and bad graphic...

4. robertgarcia

robertgarcia Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'll probably get this tomorrow.

With SC, SF4 and KOF13 on the iphone and Tekken 6, DOA4, MKvDCU and VF5 on my Xbox my fighting game collection is complete (yes, I need to get MK on the xbox but that's pretty much it).

The price is OK as long as the game is good. I have spent up to 12 euros in some games (the game itself + IAP). Over such price it's better to just buy console games.

5. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    fixed for you.

6. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    So Namco makes Tekken, right? If Soul Calibur does well we might get Tekken at some point too. The game looks good so I'll get this tomorrow. Price is ok for a premium game.

7. robertgarcia

robertgarcia Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    They'll probably make Tekken too at some point. At least I hope so.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    For what it's worth, an iOS port of Tekken has been rumored for a while.

9. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    If the game plays as good as it looks and is updated frequently, then this will be worth the money easily and I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Here's hoping they got the controls down near perfect. And hopefully they add multiplayer in the future.

10. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
  11. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Anybody got it yet?

I don't mind the price, but the most important question for me that I didn't see answered yet.

Does Taki's ms left and ms right still "bounce" like the original?
    Or Ivy for that matter.

12. leemik

leemik Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    wow soulcalibur on my phone.. my how far technology has come.. game looks gorgeous.. a must buy for me.. one of my fav games ever on the DC.

13. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I don't remember this from the original... are you sure you didn't play DOA2 back then? :D

And YouTube seems to go in my favor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dGdTp0muYg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBWVGAnk5As

14. Zakoth

Zakoth Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Student
    Yorkshire, England
    This is really tempting, it looks great but the buttons are too opaque, anyone know if you can change it? I could probably get my brother to pay for it so, the buttons are my only issue.

15. Gegoben

Gegoben Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    VIrginia
    Adventure?

Wasn't there a game mode called adventure? You would do missions and earn weapons?

16. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    #56 madebymadison, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    Damn I wish they had opted to port controls two ways: simpler controls that are actually fit for a touch screen.

Some of the original combos need a lot of fingers on physical buttons. This is where it matters that you can FEEL the buttons. So a 1:1 port by placing opaque giant overlay buttons in the screen is just such a shame.

They could have easily made an iOS Soul Calibur title (not a port), where your left hand moves the character up down left or right and the sword fighting would be a combo of the left hand position and the right hand swipe. Put in a block and a kick solution and you're there. Simpler, more elegant, less crap on screen and touch friendly.

I HONESTLY am still stunned by HUGE developers who fail to understand that Touch Screen games require a different approach. They just port and add some virtual buttons. Smaller developers or independent developers are much more clever than that and use new ways of using your fingers in smaller games that make more sense than control schemes such as these.

It reminds me of the Wii days when a lot of developers were unsure what to do with the new controller and a bunch of games just screwed up. Most of which came from big developers who simply had trouble adjusting to a new way of playing games. I see that happen on iOS a LOT. There is a general lack of innovation when it comes to HOW to play a game (aka controlling the game via touch and gestures etc). I hope it will get better in time. It did on the Wii platform. But it took years for third party developers to catch on and get it right.

17. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    yep. That was DOA. The console version I had even had an option in the options menu to turn bouncing breasts on or off (!). :confused:

18. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    Anyone Tried this on a Touch 4th gen yet?

19. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    so how is the controls & can you arrange the controls like sf4 & kof cause im not gonna lie i havent bothered with gaming on my 4s for a while since i got the ps vita ,but i cant pass on a great game like soul calibur as long as the controls are good

20. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    That mode was in Soul Calibur 2. I suppose it might have also been in SC1, since I only played the arcade version.

Anyway, knowing it's a tight port with a good framerate and a universal app is all I need to know. I'm buying.

Madebymadison is right about developers being reluctant to learn new input methods. But the only solution is to dangle enough money in front of their noses that they start competing with new titles instead of just quality ports.