iPad Soul Trapper Ep. 1 Chapters 1-4 LITE version

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spiffyone, May 11, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Soul Trapper Ep. 1 Chapters 1 - 4 PREVIEW

I've written glowingly of this game in the past, but the $7.99 asking price has put some of you off. I paid that price originally, only to find the price dropped to around $2.99 within the next few hours (btw, it went back up to $7.99 and has stayed there ever since, so don't expect another price drop). Despite paying that higher price, I have never complained because the game truly is worth every single last penny and more, IMHO.

For those that don't know, Soul Trapper is an adventure game, but within the relatively unique and uncommon audio adventure subgenre. There are no "graphics" so to speak (you are, however, given still images that are pretty high quality artworks in their own right), as instead the gameplay is aural in nature. You are given auditory cues and clues and have to perform actions onscreen (usually button presses) to match the given timing, directions, etc.

As it is an adventure game, the story takes center stage, and I can state that the story in Soul Trapper is, aside from a few minor issues, quite stellar and one of the best, if not THE best, found on the iTouch/Phone platform. The voice acting is top notch, and the way the story plays out, and how the lead character is revealed little by little to be more than a cliche "tough guy" and instead a more rounded, and even tragic character, ranks among the best I've experienced in a game from 2008.

This particular episode is just one of many planned in the Soul Trapper series, and while I usually shy away, and warn others away from, episodic game content, Soul Trapper Ep. 1 does it right as it is entirely self contained. The story here is told from beginning, to middle, to end, and you need not buy any future episodes to get the "end" of this particular one. Instead, the future releases will delve further into the main character with different "cases", similar to the DS's Ace Attorney series of adventure games.

There are those on the fence over the very idea of an audio game, but this type of gameplay isn't new. Others have tread these waters to varying degrees of success, but I find that Soul Trapper is a helluva introduction to this type of gameplay.

And since this new lite version is out, for free...what's to lose?

You try it out, see if you like it.

I recommend at least trying it out.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    No takers?

C'mon, folks. Lite version. Free.

What's to lose?

3. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Very good audio game.... still waiting for ep 2 (web site saying in development). The original lite version was way too short and got hammered, then removed.

4. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Downloading now.

5. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Wow. I just tried the demo and I am really glad that I didn't waste my money buying this game.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game a lot, from what I could play of it. But during chapter two, where you have to match your taps to the heart beat? Forget it, I got to the second part of it on three different occasions and must've spent at least fifteen minutes total trying to match my taps up so that I could progress the story. I'd like to think that I have at least some rhythm, but it's frustrating; there's no visual cue or anything to let you know if you're even kind of MAYBE hitting it at the right rhythm.

Extremely frustrating.

6. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. At first I wondered what was going on, but after a while you get 'get it'. Shame, as the story really develops further on. I agree that its one thing that could be improved slightly on the next chapter, but overall the efforts put into the game are rewarded with a good storyline.

7. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I have to agree with the above. I just gave this a blast, and the tapping heart beat bit really drags on. I will give it another go now though as it seems others have also had the same moment of 'what's all this about?'. I love the idea. It reminds me of playing fantasy books as a boy that came wih a special dice, and you could choose your route to 'The End', jumping from chapter to chapter. That mixed with listening to a few BBC ghost stories on tape.