Universal Soul Knight (by Zeyang Li)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wondroushippo, Feb 17, 2017.

1. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Wow, so it's basically a BoI clone, one that's free and without all the hippy dippy art stuff? (Which I actually love, btw)

I haven't shelled out the clams for BoI yet but this game is pretty fun. I can't see it lasting a long time but it has charm and will probably stay on my phone for a good 6 months or so, unless the costs become too exhorbitant and require too many ads to watch to keep up.

2. Boyen

Boyen Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Played this game a long time in beta, few things for me;

- Some upgrades are really just not worth it, immune to traps for instance. Also penetrate on critical becomes quite useless later on.
    - The Magician is way more powerful than any of the bosses in act 1 and 2. Needs rebalancing IMO.
    - There are some nasty one hit kill rooms where, when you don't have a fire upgrade (less damage from explosions) you just pretty much insta die. It is a bit dodgable, but the precision required in these rooms is just much more and the damage much more severe than in other parts of the game.

This game has a lot of potential to be awesome, it needs some more though.

3. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    The ads are COMPLETELY optional. There is no need to watch them at all unless you wanna speed up getting currency that you already get quite a bit of just by playing the game. Honestly, the only thing that is not attainable by playing is a set of two characters you can select to play as. They are only a dollar each. This is basically a complete game for free. It amazes me.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Three characters: engineer, vampire and paladin. One dollar each. Plus $2 for the free continue ticket. For five bucks you have the complete premium experience, or you can have a premium experience for free. As you say, ads are fully optional, but the "bad signal" message when you run out of daily ads is priceless :p

5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Definitely agree that this game could be great with the addition of a manual aiming. I just spent 30 seconds trying to shoot something and with absolutely no way to control the aiming I had to stand next to it to hit it. Surprise, it exploded and almost killed me. This doesn't work for me. I would also like a sensitivity setting for the movement controls, they are a little loss for me.

Other then that everything else looks a feels really good. This is definitely my type of game.

6. Fruityth1ng

Fruityth1ng Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweet graphics!

Any word from the developer up here in the forums yet?

I'll add to the choir: Mfi support is broken, auto aim needs to be optional.

This is a shame, because it looks like it could be super fun!

7. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    I'm really enjoying this; gameplay reminds me of the binding of Isaac ##

8. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Deleted for now.. I will pick it back up, and spend some money on it when QOL patches roll in... Really looking forward to the update on this one.

9. Colton

Colton Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Almost awesome

This game is exactly what i have been looking for. I did not want to throw money down for Binding of isaac or neon chrome. but i still wanted a twin stick rouge like. This game has everything except one crucial thing. the second stick. Now i still enjoy the game a lot. but i wish there was an option for manual control.

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Are there any checkpoints in the game? I made it down to 2-3, died, had to start over and was hoping I could from world 2, disappointed I couldn't. I'm wondering though if these get unlocked later on? (If not, I'm done with the game, fun while it lasted.)

Also the corridors in my opinion are too long from one room to another, it removes some of the tempo.

11. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    People need to stop comparing this to BOI. This is a great game in its own right, but is neither as deep or as well thought out as BOI.

While this is a very well done f2p game (zero forced ads and no timers) it should not be compared to a full out premium game as it doesn't do either justice.

12. triptych

triptych Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    This is the most fun I had on my phone in a long time .

13. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Totally agree with you. I want so bad to like it but the controls totally turned me off.

I am enjoying this but would love an option to have dual stick shooter.
    Also this is the way f2p should be done

14. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    You can actually control aiming. It's done with the left stick (the movements stick). With enemies it's a little tricker because it will auto aim, so no advice there. The game seems to prioritize certain enemies over others so strategic planning is kind of out of the question.

Thanks to people for pointing out the purchaseables.

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Dev, please allow the disabling of ads, if we purchased iap.

16. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I wish I liked BOI as much as everyone else still but can't seem to get into it.

So people saying this game scratches that itch is making me really excited especially because it's not 15 out of the gate to try it.

17. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Really wish this had iCloud sync

18. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Not sure what you mean. Even without IAP the only ads are ones that you choose to watch (extra Revive or watch one on the little TV for 200 gems.

There are zero forced ads.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Has anyone played enter the gungeon? If you enjoy this game, I urge you to seek it out. This game is nothing like binding of Isaac & exactly like enter the gungeon. I've been playing it for a while on PS4, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found this.

20. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Ok, so I've played quite a bit more of this and have completely changed my mind about the controls. As soon as I stopped trying to play this like a twinstick shooter and more like an auto fire game (think shmup) it really started to click with me. I am really enjoying this one a lot. So far I've purchased the free revives and the Engineer. His turret is awesome!