Soul Assassin, Feedback appreciated!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Spearheadgames, Oct 21, 2010.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Looks great from screenshots. I want a game that is fairly long. For example, MC:S and Splinter Cell ended way too quickly.

Also, the story should be easy to follow and keep up with.
    In terms of gameplay, I'd like to see some free running with cool action moves in it to kill enemies. Also riding horses to fight would be cool.

Can't wait to check out this game eventually.

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. Needs better textures though (quality wise). I'll definetly keep this thread open in my huge list of tabs. (really need to close a few.)

3. TopherWolf

TopherWolf Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I would REALLY recommend a Crescent Moon makeover... PLEASE consider it

Here are the guidelines i recommend to all:

7 hrs. (with replay value) * * you do this with very unique gameplay AND free-roam, free-roam is critical * *

9 hrs. (with medium replay value) * * It has free-roam OR very unique gameplay * *

11 hrs. (with little to no replay value) * * It does not have free-roam and has gameplay that is familiar to gamers on the app-store

AND THE EXCEPTION

6 hrs. (of single player but also has multiplayer) * * the game has a good multiplayer. The replay value does not matter here because people will be playing the multiplayer * *

Thank you for reading this and please tell me if you like my guidelines!

Also thanks to the devs for being active in the forums.

Tell me if you want me to beta for this :)

4. Kawe

Kawe Well-Known Member

To be honest we will most likely never be able to put out 20 hours of gameplay unless you want very very repetitive gameplay. Our studio is way smaller than the big studios. So we're trying to see what we can do to make a good game that people will buy with the resources we have. Can someone point me to a game that had 20 hours of gameplay on iPhone that you still thought was good? I'd like to check it out... I personally haven't found any. Most good games on iPhone are maybe 4-6 hours imo.

Something we have put on our list from this thread is finishing moves. We didn't actually think of that. But it makes a lot of sense for the gameplay we have.

Free running like they have in Assassin's Creed is a little difficult to make. Not even Assassin's Creed for iPhone had that. I mean we could probably make a crappy version of it but personally I'd like to make sure that things are smooth instead of adding in gimmicks.

There are a lot of things we'd like to add in that we just can't do properly on iphone.

Oh, if anyone have any good reference games we'll be sure to check them out. Like.. how repetitive do you think a game can be and still be ok?

And uhm... what does a "Crescent Moon" makeover mean? I thought they were just a company that made Ravensword and stuff.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep em coming... this is very interesting!

Just to be sure I say this enough times... we'll listen but don't expect us to actually add everything suggested. We're going to have to be very very picky so we can make the best experience out of the resources we do have.

5. Adeeb246

Adeeb246 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Canada
    #25 Adeeb246, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

Yeah I agree....20 hours just gets too repetitive...i understand that a lot of people like long games...but 20 hrs is just way too long.

Some other suggestions would be to add ways to kill multiple enemies in one shot (like Tekken, for example). You press the controls in certain ways, and it initiates a combo that can kill multiple enemies. That would actually be very cool to see.

have you guys also considered using the environment to kill? Like jumping off walls, sliding on floors, or just jumping and flipping in general?

6. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I have a lot of ideas that might be useful. From experience of playing many games on many different consoles, I have seen that great gameplay/mediocre graphics has always overcame meh gameplay/beautiful graphics. Especially on iOS. You can make a game as pretty as you want but if it's boring and repetitive people will drop it quick. Definitely worry about the gameplay elements of the game FIRST and FOREMOST. The game should be at LEAST 6-8 hours, if more if possible. 15+ hours is going to give you a lot of brownie points. RPG elements in games like these have become VERY popular and almost expected. Although it would take some time, I highly recommend also allowing players to have different weapons/attire that SHOW on the characters. Even if you have just a handful of models with different skins it would add much more depth to the game. Players love the ability to seperate their player from others. Last but not least if you can make the graphics reasonable you would have a FIVE star hit rating easily. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say spending the next possible 6 months perfecting this game and including all the details will allow you to sell it for a pretty penny allowing your sales to be MUCH higher. Pushing out a lazy, short, mediocre game in the next few months is going to be a waste of your time and money. I have never beta tested but would love to if you need one. Let me know if you do, and if you want more input just ask me :)

7. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Yes, they did make Ravensword, but they are also publishing games now, I believe. If you looked at a game called Aralon, you can see the original game, which was developed by two college kids I believe, and then you can see how much it has changed after Crescent Moon Games edited it.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=47272

8. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Member

Aug 4, 2010
  9. TopherWolf

TopherWolf Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Yeh i know it was said above but Aralon is just one example. They also helped with the ball-roller game that was shown on this site a couple of weeks. The difference in the screenshots was really dramatic. I think that they can really help with this game.

Ravensword is an example of a game that has 20+ hours of gameplay and is still a great game (it also has good graphics, AND is published by Cresent Moon)

Thanks for your time

10. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    lol. a little busy over here. would like to see a vid though.

11. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    An assassin game? If this has smart enemy AI, this could be a winner :).

12. syntory

syntory Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    #32 syntory, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    i don't know if you guys have ever played the game Soul Reaver which this game heavily reminds me of, but i think you should include elements of that game. Such as the big bosses that give you a new ability which opens up new areas(also the power ups from Pheonix spirit). Old school parkour from the original tomb raider games/soul reaver games. Last but not least please don't blatantly copy off of assassin's creed.

13. Tesio

Tesio Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Kawe, I want to be as honest as possible, because I believe that's what you are asking of with this thread. You are off to a good start but right now I believe your graphics have a long way to go.

Just about everything needs work, from the environment textures, to the effects, to the characters. The texture resolution looks fine, but the quality of the textures are very poor and just look muddy. The UI at the moment seems really bad as well. I'm not sure why it's pixel based, but you should use photoshop for them instead to give a cleaner look.

I did a quick paint-over that I'm very sorry, but I couldn't finish. I just re-did the d-Pad (tried to keep it similar though), tried to clean up a bit of the hero and knight (just a bit of both as I said I didn't have much time), and played with the environment colors a bit.

[​IMG]

Just my two cents though.

14. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Wow... now that you bring it up, it actually does remind me of Soul Reaver a bit. Not a bad game, although it got a bit tedious, and is a PAIN to try to figure out what's going on in the second game without first playing the first (a mistake I made). It's actually starting to look like a cross between Soul Reaver and Assassin's Creed for me... Which would be a kicka** combo for me.

15. xBLAGDARFx

xBLAGDARFx Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    i really like how this looks.

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The D-Pad should look simple and not be too distracting in my oppinion. The one you made doesen't look verry fitting to the game. (It is better than the original one!)

17. Sarah Hastings

Oct 18, 2010
    iPhone application and technology consultant
    Graphics really need improvement. I think a game should be a pleasure visually. It contributes towards the success of the game.

18. syntory

syntory Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

i think that the new d-pad you made looks a little too shiny and glossy but definitely better than the original

19. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

imo its kind of hard to judge how long the game should be without a clue as to what the actual game itself is. Is it an action/adventure game? Action/RPG? Pure action brawler? Different genres of games tend to require different playtimes imo.

20. Kawe

Kawe Well-Known Member

Hey guys.

Thanks a lot for the honest feedback. We're in a discussions on how to move on from here. It seems that we are a lot farther from the goal than we had anticipated. Thus there won't be a video yet until we get everything sorted out.

The paintover was nice. We actually got some more crisp textures coming up for the main character.

As for what kind of game it is.. we originally intended it to be focusing on the combat with some upgrade options for weapons and such.

I'll definitely take contact with Crescent Moon and see what we can get out of it.