Universal Sorcery! - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Indeed - especially since Sorcery! has already been released once on iOS (by Bright AI Ltd.) and books 2 - 4 didn't make it.

However, Inkle's off to a strong start on iOS (Frankenstein was very well done, though it's much less gamebook than this will be) so I'm hoping for all four books, as IAP if they keep the size down (app is only 110 MB right now.) They're good books, but made truly great by the fact that they form a whole.

2. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey! Totally wanted to jump in and say -- that bit is scaring us. But we'll see what we can do.

3. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

We're shooting for late Summer for Book 2, which is underway already. It'll be a separate app rather than IAP so we'll keep everyone posted!

4. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Have to say this was not on my radar at all...watched the trailer and its become my most anticipated release in a long time. Thanks!

5. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Do you plan to have sagames transferred from one app to the other? One of the best thing about the book was that your were building your character and inventory across the four volumes.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #46 Appletini, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Muahaha. You may have to limit that by merely sending the player back to points within the same book rather than the entire series.

Yeah, in general app buzz, store recognition and overall profitability all benefit from the visibility of a separate new app over an easily-overlooked "app update", even if that update would actually consist of a whole new book accessed via IAP.

7. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

You'll be able to save your character from one book to the other. It was explained in the walktrough :)

8. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for the answer. I didn't watch any video to avoid spoiling the experience!

9. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Absolutely. At the end of the book you can save your character to the cloud, and you'll be able to download that into Book 2. You can save as many different play-throughs as you like, too, in case you want to go back and do better, or collect different items...

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    As someone who's first step into the world of gamebooks was Trial of the Clone (love it), is Sorcery! accessible? Jared's front-page article makes it seem so, but I doubt anyone's a n00b to the extent that I am. :p

11. suikodan

suikodan Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Whoa, this game looks great.

However, my interest hit a wall when I saw that it only includes the first book.

I did buy the "other app" of Sorcery! and waited forever for the next chapters...

I will definitely buy once the whole series is released but until then, my soul still burns from the other app. :(

12. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    man, how was trial of the clone?
    I posted in the thread but no one really answered..
    I have never played a game book, trial of the clone a good place to start?
    or I could just start with this..

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Trial of the clone is really one of the best gamebooks available on the appstore. It's really funny, genuinely entertaining and features quite a lot of choices. Go for it!

14. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Well, we can understand that -- just to reassure you, though, we are a *completely* different studio.

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Waiting for the Sanuku vid...
    ;)

Would love for the NZers to give their early impressions.

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Trial of the Clone is very light-hearted, and Tin Man has absolutely nailed Gamebook mechanics. Unless you're looking for a more serious story, it's a great choice.

That being said, Sorcery! makes for a great first gamebook as well, not quite as harsh as some of the classics, and the four books together make for a grand adventure. As Inkle is off to a great start on iOS, I'm sure we'll see books 2-4.

17. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    This! (And, just a few days after telling my wife that I would cool off on my iOS expenses...)

18. I'm so getting this.

This is by far the easiest one of the series btw. The other ones have way more merciless choices although this new format could do wonders.

Dev: you better stay true to your promise and convert the other books asap :)

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It's a totally different company. If we all waited until all 4 books were out the company might not even be around due to no profits! If you buy this now there's even more chance of the future books being guaranteed

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What he said, but also... it's not as though this app wouldn't be worth the money even if the others weren't coming. If it's fun, it's fun. Just enjoy it and worry about the future when it arrives :)