Universal Sorcery! - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Okay, I like this attitude and will buy the 1st part and if I do enjoy it, the new 2nd part too. Thanks for the reply :)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Let us know what you think.

These books back in the 80's were amazing, for kids who loved computer games in the 80's i think our parents loved these fighting fantasy style books as so many kids started reading them.

Theres a wide range of gamebooks on the app store, Sorcery is very impressive as its done in a different visual type of style while still keeping the 'old skool' gamebook approach.

Hope you enjoy it

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I've had Sorcery! on my wishlist pretty much since release. Not waiting for a sale, just busy playing other games and having not being familiar with the Sorcery! series it seemed a little daunting.

However, the various positive reviews and the impressions in this thread always meant that I'd get this sooner or later. Your comment made it sooner. Cheers, and much respect.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Trust me, this gamebook and series in general is well worth the asking price, a veritable bargain I'd be willing to argue! You guys will definitely enjoy this gamebook should you choose to take the plunge! Trust me, if you are a fan of the genre, you will not regret your purchase!

5. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I never mind paying for a quality app, but it does sting a bit when the price drops shortly after the release. I wouldn't begrudge you for changing your mind eventually, but I really appreciate that the first chapter has not yet gone on sale. And while it's not the primary reason, your willingness to maintain the price-point certainly adds to my decision to buy part 2 the minute it becomes available. Can't wait to play!

6. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Is anyone having a problem with the spell letters not locking in order to cast a spell? This is happening since the last big update (the first game, not the one just released). I had played the game before and had no problem and I wanted to play it again and then play the second part, but I can't move forward without the spell letters locking in place. Am I doing something wrong or has this been an issue? Thanks for any assistance.

7. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I had the same problem after update, but in the end they just changed the way it work: just tap a letter when a circle is highlighted, and the letter will be place automatically!

8. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Excellent! Thank you very much. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

9. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Completely missed this, looks right up my street.

10. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    This game just received a new update with:

- Tutorial tip for those new to spellcasting
    - Settings option to disable Twitter integration and the status bar
    - Other small fixes

11. twwantb2

twwantb2 Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Full Story/Output Text

Hello! I just finished my first runthrough, and I'm amazed at all the choices and the incredible immersion. I was wondering, is there any way to read or even save/export the entire history of your story? I really loved the visual effect of how each piece of paper was tied to the next, and it would be really neat to be able to see the whole story from start to finish in that fashion, so I could re-read it like a normal novel to review my path.

Just about to replay, thanks for the incredible work and the beautiful rendering of the story!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm loving this Sorcery app. I still cant get over having these old books from the 80's and now having it as an amazing app 30 years later !

13. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
  14. retroblique

retroblique New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Price drop didn't last very long. It's now back to $4.99.

15. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Humbug. Missed the price drop.

16. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    So, finally, I've had a nice quiet hour to load up Sorcery! --- and what an experience it was!

Just wanted to take a minute to thank the developers and anyone involved in the creation of this super immersive little gem. The sound and visuals were all top notch as well, and they all came together perfectly.

From reading previous posts, I expected the first part to be completed rather quickly, which was true - but knowing I can run through it another few times to hopefully experience anything I have missed, makes it no issue at all. It's rather positive, as I can best shape up my adventurer as best as I could for the lengthier next three parts.

Thanks again, Inkle!

17. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I agree with the above poster. I bought the game recently and really enjoyed it! I am curious about trying things differently now. :)

If the developpers are reading this thread, I would like to make a small complaint about the magic system. IMHO it was a real pain using it. I didn't like having to switch back and forth between the spellbook and the casting page (where you choose the letters).

I am not familiar with the system, so I could remember neither the spell names nor what they did. Moreover, some letters are not available depending on the day. This adds to the frustration of having to find the right spell. As a result, I also had to endure the animation (which is nice in the beginning but gets tedious after a while) where you fly to the sky in order to pick the letters.

I would suggest adding some sort of toolbar on the casting screen, where one can see the name of the spell and a short summary of what it does. That way, you won't have to keep switching back and forth.

Just my 2 cents. Very nice app other than that! Keep up the good work!

18. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey there!

I guess our idea was that people wouldn't go out from the spellcasting back to the book, but instead try out letter combinations and see what they can make. Every time you make a valid spell, it tells you what it does -- there pretty much *is* a toolbar that tells you what the spell does -- and you can always back out and try something else if you don't like it!

We figured the spell-book is more to read in between turns, to trigger your imagination a little - and help you know a useful spell artefact when you see one!

19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome, that's how I'm going to play it from now on! Thanks!

20. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Oh, ok. I didn't know that. I guess I should have experimented a bit with the system.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I appreciate your time and effort. :)
    Cheers