Universal Sorcery! - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I was lucky enough to get a set of 10 of the FF book reprints for my birthday this year :D

2. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Awesome. It's amazing that most of them still hold up after all these years. So much of my stuff from my childhood was better left in childhood but the FF books are still really enjoyable.

3. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

So, we'd better jump in and reply to this: it's true, the original book is non-specific about gender, and it's true, our app is not. The reason isn't interesting - a huge list of things to do, and a limited amount of time. But that trade off doesn't get any easier now, because we've got Book 2 to make before we get lynched for leaving things hanging, and Book 2 is even more complicated..!

It might be something we could retrofit, but it's not likely. A better aim for us might be to make our *next* game post-Sorcery something with a female protag.

Unrelatedly, on the Manticore: it's definitely possible to win without magic and only lose 3 stamina.

4. projectmoonlightcafe

projectmoonlightcafe Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Huh? What's that?

5. projectmoonlightcafe

Oct 26, 2010
    #225 projectmoonlightcafe, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    The books from my set were from 1985 to 1988.

[​IMG]

6. idub76

idub76 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    My entire gamebook collection - including every FF book bar a few of the last ones - was pretty much ruined in a flood a few years back.

Companies like Tinman, and now the masters at Inkle, are doing a lot to ease the pain I still feel.

Thanks guys, you rock my world.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The D&D books are very hit and miss. Fabled Lands however is probably the most epic gamebook set ever imagined. The app is nice, but huge. Hit up Amazon for books 1-6 and pray that 7-12 will see publication...

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    The worst part about this game is that it makes me want more like it, and there's not a lot to fill the void.

9. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Never mind my budget for this week, bought and enjoying it more than other games I bought this week .Navigating cave did give me headache and fighting Manticore on 4 stamina is impossible, especially if you have annoying fairy at your side.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    And to go back on topic, I wanted everybody to know you can find a lot more details about Sorcery!, Fighting Fantasy and other gamebooks at gamebooks.org

Although be warned, there is plenty of spoiler-type information on that site.

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Heh, Dungeoneer. :) I'm sure I have my Advanced Fighting Fantasy books in a box somewhere nearby. I still vividly remember one specific item from a scenario in the basic rulebook that was described as working in the same way as Frodo's ring. Not having read Lord of the Rings at that point, thus not getting the reference, I remember scrubbing back and forth through the entire book, trying to find where you were supposed to find this "Frodo's ring" to get more details about it. :p

I think that took place in this book:

[​IMG]

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That cover looks very familiar. I think I used to have it, but my mom has probably thrown it away... :(

13. projectmoonlightcafe

Oct 26, 2010
    Yea I have it too somewhere as well as out of the pit and titans

14. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I never had that but still have both Out of the Pit and Titan sitting in a box somewhere. Always loved the Fighting Fantasy world.

Did this Sorcery app get reviewed on the TA front page at all? I didn't see it but it's possible I missed it.

15. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    The mentions of these books is bringing back so many memories. I'm quite sorry I had given away the books at some point in the past. The other series of books I had liked was the 5-book Blood Sword series.

16. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Is the Blood Sword series the thick black books with barbarians? Or am I mixing it up with something else? Sounds familiar.

Off the top of my head, I can immediately recall:

Lone Wolf
    Greysomething the Lone Wolf spinoff
    Fighting Fantasy
    Choose your own adventure
    Some ninja series with a tiger
    Intergalactic spy

17. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    #237 Ravenblack, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

Blood Sword -- they are thick, but the front cover is always of some awful slime dripping monstrosity. The plot was about an adventurer who had to put three pieces of a sword together and then journey to underworld or something for the final battle. http://rpggeek.com/rpg/2585/blood-sword-gamebooks. When there's a fight, little battle maps are included showing the position of your enemies and you. That was what I liked about it.

Some ninja series with a tiger -- Way of the Tiger. :)

Anyway, with Sorcery success, I hope to see more of these classic game books adapted in the same manner, maybe a bit different depending on system/rules. The possibilities are exciting.

18. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh yeah. I looked at the pics you linked to, that was the one. Strangely, I don't remember any of the story even though I played them all...

19. You got your priorities straight. Got my rope ready if it's not out by the time I winterize my pool.. which is early where I live :)

Kudos again on the great adaptation.

20. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I almost wish I didn't read this book cause now I have to wait to continue the adventure. This game has all the elements that pull you into into the story, not to mention the superb artwork and design.
    The real problem is that when something is this good you want more of it, and I mean NOW!