Universal Sorcery! - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 1, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I read a lot of actual books on my iPad, so if iOS 7 ends up making those appear as plain text documents instead of looking like, well, books, I'll be having stern words with Mr. Ive the next time I run into him. :p

Mm-hmm, I do think inkle should implement difficulty settings that adjust what is and isn't available in terms of - ahem - "player assistance".

2. #182 DungeonPlunder, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    For those who were wondering how the transition between games will work: when you finish the game you get a code to type in for Kharé so you can do multiple runs without losing that game at first glance. I started doing a 2nd playthrough going through south east now and trying to find the optimal route to grab even more spell components.

It's been a while that I played the physical book :
    I don't remember the Daddu-Ley area being explorable? Is it one of the area they expanded upon? I remember there was an ogre in Kharé who came from there and I believe the maps indicated there was mines in the drawn caves which doesn't correspond much to how it is in the game although it was still an interesting side-trek.

3. toshiX

toshiX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    So, a while back I mentioned that I completed the game in 1-2 hr. well I replayed it now taking a diff path and it appeared so much different. I havent completed it but already i have fought more combats than i previously did. I'm definitely getting more into the game now having a better understanding of the world. I do intend to play at least once more on another path.

But still, the fact that only book 2 has been confirmed is quite worrying...

4. #184 DungeonPlunder, May 3, 2013
    Just checked quickly and I'd not be too worried: they got great reviews, solid launch numbers and got featured by Apple :) They have the engine ready, it's easier to go on from there.

Compared with the old Sorcery that never went beyond #600 in download rank in it's first week they're hovering around #50 atm with a sale price of $4.99. Money's pouring in.

Will be very interesting to navigate through the map of Kharé and later on the Fortress of Mampang with that engine.

5. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    All three of the other books are being worked on/planned for; only book two has been given an actual release timeframe, though, because that's the next one on the list, and the only one we really need to know about right now.

6. reflipp

reflipp Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Good game..wish it was longer.. Played though twice..

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

What's with the visibility of the status bar during the game? This happens with apps from time to time and I'll never understand it.

Is there any chance this could be fixed so that Sorcery runs full screen? Please and thanks! :)

Gorgeous start though. I like tin man loads, but this is ART.

8. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Well I picked to up and it's beautifully realised. I'm a huge fan of the book series and also have the previous iOS app and, with all respect to the previous devs, this version is absolutely superb. A wonderful adaptation that is faithful and yet also amends some aspects to make them work better as a game, not simply an app version of a book. I will be gutted if the series isn't completed so I wish Inkle all the very best with this.

One question that I have never considered before until this version - is there a reason the main character is male? Does that come up in the story? If not, as the character is meant to represent the player, I would suggest adding an option to play as a female. My two girls would thank you, as I'm sure many other girls would.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It does feel rather short but highly enjoyable and you don't feel cheated but wanting more. The Inklewriter engine adds tons to the experience of the gamebook formula, the dynamic nature of some events makes you feel very much part of the story. Can't wait for the second book and others from Inkle, top notch stuff.

One question, once you've done your cloud save with the ending and have a code, is it safe to play through again? Can you have multiple saves and codes?

10. silencesg

silencesg Member

May 4, 2013
    this is a game that really got me excited till i saw the combat....
    i was hoping for tactical combat for one. Oh well..

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's more tactical than a dice roll, what were you expecting from a gamebook?

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #192 september, May 4, 2013
    I wasn't initially a fan of the combat, but once you understand it it works really well. You either use the bulk of your power and chance going against a defend, reserve power and do smaller hits hoping yours will be enough to counter, or sit on defend taking light damage while your power recharges.

I think it's been executed and thought about rather well.

13. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Just wondering if it was mentionned before, I had a bug trying to look at my spellbook in landscape mode, the top part was missing and was messed up, I was not able to see the big letters at the top of the description. The problem did fix itself by switching back and forth between landscape and portrait, anyway just wondering if other people had that issue and hopefully it will be fixed next update.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, happens to me too. I'm pretty sure someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and the dev responded.

15. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's also worth noting that the dynamically generated combat text also includes (often subtle) clues about the level of force the enemy will use in its next attack. Some enemies are more obvious about it (such as Flanker, who will alternate between total defense and all-out attack, and whose actions make that quite clear), while the text for other enemies will mention them stumbling, or being afraid, or weakening.

Just keep an eye out; if it seems like an enemy is recovering, taunting, or "charging up" in the text, they'll probably hit hard in the next turn. At that point it's a question of whether you defend totally and take the minor stamina damage, or try to gauge just how hard you'll need to hit back in order to win the round.

In the run I just finished, the only fights I actually had to play out were the scene with Flanker, and the manticore "boss fight" at the end.

Yep, I already mentioned that problem and temporary fix to the developers earlier in the thread; it's a pretty minor issue that should be taken care of in the first update.

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    What? I didn't even realise you could play in landscape mode :rolleyes: doh!

17. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

The dev mentioned a bit back that yes, you can have many, many different endings and saves to carry forward. Cool, huh?

18. Interestingly though the second save I just completed yielded me the same code as my first one which means it probably overwrote it :(

19. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Is the overall presentation and experience better playing this on an iPad? I'm about to pull the trigger and wanted to hear which device you guys have played this on. Cheers!

20. Played this on an iPad and the map rendition is gorgeous, the graphics don't look "scaled up" at all.