Universal Sorcery! 4 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlackEyedGamer, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    In the Inner College northwest of the city.

2. Dolmari

Dolmari Member

Jul 27, 2015
    So how to get this potion? And does TOP actually help later in the game?

3. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    A very vague question but have you people found many illustrations from the book? I found very, very few on my playthrough and yet did a LOT of exploring so I'm wondering if I missed most of them or if, due to changes in the narrative, many aren't in the game.

4. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

There are only two illustrations we didn't use: one was a board of numbers for a pencil based "darts" game; and the other was of the Archmage turning his table into a golem. We felt that facing down furniture wasn't suitably climactic.

To compensate, however, we added two other illustrations by John Blanche - you'll know those ones when you see them!

Jon

5. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Great, thanks. That means I have a lot still to discover. I'm intrigued about those two other illustrations now too.

6. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    You can get the potion
    from the beggar woman by the well, if you kill a Sightmaster and then keep talking to her after she lays hands on you.

You can actually learn TOP all the way back in S1, and if you did you can cast it one place in S2. There is also at least one other place in S4 you can cast it, even if you didn't learn it before. It's not necessary but it is
    one of five hidden spells you get credit for in the summary text at the end of this game.

7. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015

8. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    BTW there are two ways I have found to bypass the Throben Doors entirely.

9. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I asked during beta testing why
    TAR
    can't be cast in the Tower of Cats and was told it's not a "proper" spell and can't be added to your spellbook. The reason why
    PUR
    isn't added to your spellbook is more mundane.

10. Dolmari

Dolmari Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks a lot! Really helped me through this cat mess.

11. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015
    There's a bundle with a poem in the tower with the
    skunkbears
    which gives a list of clues for all the counterspells

12. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015
    Interesting, makes sense as in S2 it's a healing spell that would probably unbalance game play

13. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Into my second play through, having loaded up a different save from Sorcery 3, I find myself wondering if the Throben curse negatively affects the game. Still early days so I might be wrong but, on my first play, I died and reset outside the field a large number of times. In fact, it felt like I had to do that - each death offered more clues and usually more items too. But it also meant I experienced some of the same things over and over again and it locked me into one way of thinking in terms of how to reach the ending. Groundhog Day. Right now, I'm not sure if there is a way to complete it without using Throben's curse or if there is a different way to defeat the Archmage. Hoping the answer to both is 'yes' but the path feels narrow right now.

But on a second play, I'm realising that there are many more choices to experience even before the gates. I had spent so much time living the same part over and over that I had almost forgotten that there is more to it. And now I want to see if I can do this without Throben's curse, although due to a couple of parts I can't yet imagine how that's possible. I'll hopefully find the solution. But I wonder if the game had committed to the lack of rewinds, would that have been better? As it is, Throben's curse is like a super rewind because you get to keep all your stuff. But a more linear experience prompting further replays might have felt better.

Not sure. I'll keep playing and see where this attempt takes me!

14. Dolmari

Dolmari Member

Jul 27, 2015
    I lost my merchant cloak due to a capture and I miss it so much! It fits my female character so well and I really love it....
    Just here to ask this silly question, is there any possibility to get another merchant cloak after entering the city?

15. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015
    I've finished the game and gone through some of the endings but had the following questions on the adventure:

- does anyone who or where is the girl the
    ghosts in the vent in the crater warn you about? The one who has a terrible laugh?

- what doors are opened by the keys found in the room of the ram and the
    latrine
    ?

16. Dolmari

Dolmari Member

Jul 27, 2015
    I suppose the girl is in the collapse inn outside the city?
    She'll ask u to cast a free magic to free her however she's actually a powerful ghost who kills everyone so don't free her and kill her with the silver chain.
    On the other hand, it's actually more useful to ask the ghost about how to get in the tower they will tell u some information and give u a bottle of holy water.
    The key u find in the toilet is to open the door to the field and to the inner city.

Okay my question is, how to deal with the ram?

17. Dolmari

Dolmari Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Get other questions too:
    How many times can we meet flanker in city?
    What does the magical solution do? Just collect random 3 spells?

18. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Ram:
    sing a song learned in the guard's mess hall, or cast a spell (I think NAP works, so does DUM). Nothing will stop it for good so be prepared to take some damage.

Flanker will come to you on the first night you sleep, and you may dream of him another night, but you meet him only once in Mampang itself:
    outside the Archmage's library.

The solution is one way to
    counter the Crown, either for Flanker or for yourself.

19. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    You can absolutely win without using
    ZED
    even once. I can think of two ways although both require a bit of planning and one needs
    Flanker

20. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I also loved the Merchant disguise on my Analander, but no, I don't think you can find another cloak inside the City :(