Universal Sorcery! 4 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlackEyedGamer, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    I recommend playing S4 both with and without using the beacons in S3.

There is also a middle state where you can lessen the damage by not focusing beacons
    on cities and towns
    . It won't affect S4 gameplay, but it will change the way certain characters react to you, and will affect your summary at the end of the game.

2. Etherbreather

Etherbreather Active Member

Jul 9, 2015
    Flat earth atheism
    as a trope is just annoying to me.

3. Man of Water

Man of Water Member

Jul 31, 2016
    in the river
    Great!

You guys develop really great things!!! I love your games since 80days!

4. kaio

kaio New Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm starting to play this last chapter, with a save carried since part 1.
    There however a thing which is really baffling me:

while exploring the ravine in the starting valley, I was "teleported" to the shore right outside the starting city of Sorcery! 1 - where, if I remember correctly, there something you couldn't do because you had not the necessary spells. On that shore, I was greeted by someone claiming to be the Goddess of justice.
    However, I rewinded my action by one step more than intended for mistake and now I can't find again the way to get back to that place.
    Any idea how to do that?

5. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Sorry, it's a one time thing in game. Once you've experienced that, the only way to see it again is a brand new playthrough, I think. At any rate, the same thing happened to me. As in game 3, it seems that rewind does not allow you to re-experience everything.

Recall that

The in-game reason you can experience rewind is because Libra is altering time on your behalf. So why should she allow you to see her again? The only thing she can give you is information, I believe, and you should have that now.

That's also why you can't rewind inside Mampang ... Libra's power fades there.

What's with this atheism ? The gods in-game are very real.

As towards
    losing your god and gaining extra stamina

That's a choice. You don't need the extra stamina to win, I suspect. I personally choose to remain faithful to the God of Grace for roleplaying reasons, and view the other option as a temptation.

Which would you rather have?

A one-time boost that needs to be recovered via blimberry or eating/sleeping, or constant healing every few turns?

That's a choice. Both for technical and roleplaying reasons, my character remains faithful.

Though I suppose if you've been saddled with Slang or Lorag or some other no-hoper this is probably a dandy time to get rid of them.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

6. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Indeed, I usually forego that stamina boost because it's important for my purposes to keep
    Yb'ran
    until the end.

7. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015
    Vault

really enjoying the game so far but has anyone figured out
    the word for the vault? I got it from the mutants but still get killed when I enter the room

8. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    The mutants' pronunciation is tripping you up. You need to learn it from someone else:
    a pirate lady named Ranii

9. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    This is fantastic. Really strong right from the start. And for me, the ability to walk around freely fits better here than it did in Sorcery 3.

One question - when we get the
    Zed spell and use it, are we going back in time? I know we get to keep our stuff so we're continuing but, as far as the rest of the game world is concerned, have we reset time to that point?

10. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015
    Thanks.

I've ran into her near the warehouse but can't get the word out of her. Any tips on how to steer the conversation with her?

11. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016

as an alternative you can also learn the word
    from a creature in the vaults, although you will need to do some necromancy first!

12. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    You need to have heard about the vaults from someone else, then the conversation options will open up. Also , don't be disguised as a guard or other military official. Funny how thieves and pirates are tight-lipped around military types, especially in Mampang.

Doesn't matter much; she wan't tell you anything useful anyway. But you can literally pick her brain, heh heh.

That's a hint. When you get the option to cast, hit her with TEL and have a good listen.

Now I have a question. I went into the large building directly east of the city square, and made the mistake of searching in a wood pile.

It took my casting ability. I've been all over Mampang looking for someone to cure it, and now I'm standing before the doors of Throben. Clearly you can see the problem. Any suggestions?

13. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Yes, you have
    reset time to that point. Any characters you met after Throben cursed you will not recall the encounter.

14. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Hmm, I never did that, and I don't know of any way to fix it other than
    letting the doors zap you and get resurrected with ZEd

15. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    Just so? How disappointing.

I must say I'm not terribly pleased with the retry mechanic. I suppose I understand why they did it, but my problem is that for me it's only a very few more steps from
    where you enter Mampang in the first place.
    . For me it's just easier to rewind to the point where I re-entered the city.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

16. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Finished my first play through this evening. Really excellent. A great finish to the game.

17. IndyJohn

IndyJohn Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2014
    I searched the wood pile in a playthrough. There are also a couple other ways to lose your spell casting ability.
    In my experience, Throben's Curse is the only remedy.

18. GmK

GmK Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Finally back in my favorite gamebook world!

Quick question for those with good knowledge of this part, concerning a certain hourglass

so, I can spill the hourglass and lose Throbens curse, making death permament. Any advantage to that at all? Or simply a way o make the game harder?

19. The_Sorceress

Aug 29, 2016
    I suggest you go to the
    Eastern College to the large dome and cast FAR (you might need to leave and come back for the right vision) for a vision of why a sort of 'groundhog life'
    might not be so pleasant, and why you might wish to
    win uncursed

20. The_Sorceress

Aug 29, 2016
    Same. I don't think there's any other way past it unfortunately – I never found one.