Universal Sorcery! 4 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlackEyedGamer, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Etherbreather

Etherbreather Active Member

Jul 9, 2015
    Shipping

Am I the only one who feels like
    Flanker
    and the Analander have a true bromance moment
    under the bridge by the caves?

2. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Since the Analander in my game is female, it's just regular romance. Regrettably, the little hints I've seen suggested a whirlwind of passion is simply not in the cards for our heros.

Anyways, would anyone be willing to trade hints with me? I'll share something I've learned about the game which might be useful, and in exchange I ask a question.

My hint. Do you know when you finally get into Mampang, into the central square where the statue of the archmage is? You can see there are a maze of towers to the left and right of the city proper?

It appears that each tower has a spell on it. These exist as training grounds for counterspells. If you cast the appropriate counterspell, it will clear the tower. If the spell required a material item , you will often find that item in the tower and can take it with you.

Further, I note that some of these spelled towers have the markings "1", "ii", "iii", and "iiii" on them. I'll wager that these are the counterspells you need to open the Throben gates.

By the way, some of the spells here are not in your book -- they were previously seen in Courga's temple, back in Sorcery 2. PUR and TAR, which counter each other, both make appearances, for example.

Now, my own question.

I guess I'd better put that in spoilers as well.
    WHERE in the name of Lorag do you FIND THE BLINKIN' SONG for the Sleepless Ram? I've known for more than a real-time year it needs to be sung to sleep, but I didn't know until I met it that it needed a very specific song! None of the ones I know off-hand help.

Does someone have any idea where to find that blasted song? I've been hunting all over Mampang for it! I don't care if you can get past it without the song, I've waited a blinking year to use it and I, by thunder, am going to!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

3. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Very upset if this is true I am not buying a new device to play this on, its a gamebook, can this really not run on a Ipad 2? i know its old but I have all them and wanted to finish the serise. Please confirm this will run on a Ipad 2

4. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    You need to
    enter the guards' mess hall and sit by the fire, where there is a singer. It helps to be disguised as a guard, but if they won't let you in, you can cast a spell

Even the correct song doesn't work indefinitely. Be prepared to take some damage no matter what.

5. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I've always played as female, and that romantic tension existed as far back as S2. It definitely gets ramped up in this game! I haven't tried playing the whole series as male yet.

6. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    Awesome, thanks!

Followup question.

The guards' mess hall -- is that in the barracks which we must pass through in order to get to Throg's kitchen?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

7. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    No, you need to have progressed
    north of the main square past two sets of guards
    to reach it.

8. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    I see. Thank you. I had never once considered going north to that area until I had thoroughly explored the surrounding environs first. Thanks for the tip!

9. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Some things can only be learned closer to your goal. Without the ability to rewind, I know it can be intimidating to make riskier moves. Don't be afraid to take advantage of
    Throben's curse

10. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    This series is mobile gaming at its peak. I wasn't really sure when the mobile version would come out originally so I had also pre-ordered the Steam version. But now I just bought it for iOS. Can't decide if I should start on 4 or finish 3 though. Regrets, decisions & excitement all rolled into a couple oatmeal chocolate chip treats.

11. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Didn't you see the comment above from Blackfaer? S/he says it runs on an iPad 2.

12. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #32 The_Sorceress, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Flanker
    and a male Analander have the romance option if you make the same dialogue choices.

In fact, if you
    start female and gender swap from female to male, Flanker
    still pursues the romance after you meet near the end; all he says is 'you are not as you were'.

The one thing I haven't tried is seeing if getting 'married ' in part 3 affects this in any way! I suspect not :)

13. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Rewinding

I must admit I'm a bit frustrated about the rewinding being impossible. I really liked that feature, as it made exploring different lines of conversation easy. Now to have the most interesting conversations I have to go all the way back.

Just rewound to the gate after
    exploring the rubble on the field and being dropped in front of Throben...

14. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Awwww. I like that.

15. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    WOOT! Thank you! Really appreciate your news here. Now, off to App Store!

16. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #36 Kaboobie, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    This game does require a different strategy due to the lack of rewinding inside Mampang. Best to charge ahead, make mistakes, and
    ZEd
    as many times as you need to. There are plenty of opportunities to
    gain extra stamina. If you started with the most you can get from S3, you can max out at 54!

17. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    The potential benefits to having finished S3 are
    having a good stash of spell ingredients from the start, some counterspells under you belt, and higher max stamina
    . Also, presuming you killed all the Serpents,
    the Archmage won't have placed Mampang on high alert
    . But it's certainly winnable either way.

18. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    I really liked the world building in the previous games, but with Colletus'
    anti-gods stance
    and the shrine
    where one loses one's god, but gains stamina
    , I'm beginning to feel like part of an
    Ayn Rand
    novel.

19. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I suspect
    Yb'ran's sarcastic comments about other gods
    would contribute to that as well. Personally I appreciate the outlook, but I can see how it might be off-putting. Don't despair, there are lots of fun surprises to lighten the mood.

20. pendell

Jan 2, 2015
    Speculation.

In the third game we meet a shepherd who is watching a fire sweep the land. He can't escape because the bridge was destroyed. I think

That fire is from your beacon, isn't it? And the reason the bridge is destroyed is because you shown your beacon on it first.

In response, the Archmage

seems to have cast ZED over the entire land, perhaps in a bid to save it from the destruction

The overall lesson here seems to be one of good intentions. I suspect the archmage doesn't really intend evil, and our character certainly doesn't (at least, not the way I play her). But between the two of them they seem to have really , really, really messed up the Baklands.

Having encountered the archmage and been outwitted by him, I must say that Inkle really missed on what would have been the best possible gameplay option.

How come I can't play Swindlestones with the Archmage? With the Crown as the stake and the fate of the lands in the balance?

Respectfully,

Brian P.