Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Kall

Kall Member

Apr 24, 2015
    25 Stamina?

I can't find the list of Sorcery! 3 challenges now, but I could have sworn that one of them was to reach the end with 25 Stamina. I've found 2 spots to increase Stamina by 1 (
    Nightfin soup in Kariamma and the Klattamen village
    ) but has anyone found others? Or did I miss some things in Sorcery! 1 and 2?

2. Cheezzhead

Cheezzhead Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    You didn't miss anything in the previous games. Although I'm interested;
    did the klattaman increase your stamina to above 20? For me, he only restored my stamina BACK to 20 (it was reduced to 19 as a result of Sorcery! 2), so I just assumed that was his role. How much stamina do you have now?

3. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Some people say that
    getting a feather from the cave north of Kariamma and cast TUF spell in (Past) Stonehenge in the marshes will increase your strength further. I haven't done this, though.

4. Kall

Kall Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Well, it raised it back to 20, but it was only at 19 because I was carrying a Crystal Tooth (-2) and ate the Nightfin soup (+1). So if I dropped the tooth, it would be 22.

5. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    It does render it harmless. Same as in the books.

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    well I just got my iTunes card and ready to buy the Inkle bundle but I see sorcery 3 isn't there If I buy the bundle and they said they plan to add part 3, there can I still get 3 for a cheaper cost being apart of the bundle even tho I already bought the bundle ? I googled this for about a hour and can't find a answer to this please let me know

and Do you guys see part 4 being able to run on Ipad 2 I belive all the other parts do, I just don't plan to upgrade my Ipad tell it breaks.

Thanks!

7. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    You'll need a crystal ball to answer those questions correctly, but if I had to guess: Yes, to the first part. If they add another app to the bundle, you would no longer own the complete bundle and would have the option to complete it at a discount. But the bigger question is, why wait months to play this game only to save a couple of bucks? If you're still playing the first too parts, I withdraw my question.

And as far as future device comparability goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it with games like this, but the iPad2 is definitely past it's prime.

8. Cheezzhead

Apr 7, 2015
    Ah, I didn't know that! That means it's possible to
    raise your stamina to a maximum of 26, not 25.

I thought the
    Sun Serpent was harmless if you took the orb with you without destroying it, and leaving it behind would give the penalty.
    I could very well be wrong, though.

9. cstad

cstad Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Well crap.... Took me 21 days...:(. But that was my first run through and I ended up swimming everywhere on the lake, which added at least 2 or 3 days. I did kill all the serpents, though. Ended up broke with no provisions heading into Mampang.
    Have to try it again!

10. darez

darez Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Is the magic item for casting teleportation only available from sorcery 1 or 2? Been playing for only a few hours and already wished on several occasions I could cast it.

Without plot spoilers, is there a time limit to finish the game? I'm liking the open-world system and have been going back and forth to the same locations during daytime and night and beacon on/off to see the differences.

11. Kall

Kall Member

Apr 24, 2015
    #91 Kall, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    So for (major) magic items, here's what I've found:

PT = in past time (with the time beam of a tower pointing at it, or in the case of the first area before the river, after speaking with Shadrack
    CT = current time (without the time beam of a tower pointing at it)

The major magic items are roughly in the sequence I found them when going through the story:

Rock Demon Tooth - CT - in the opening area before talking to Shadrack's and turning back time. I used the KIN spell on him, but you can fight him too, I'd guess. You need it for the ZOB spell, which you can either find in the Spellbook from the merchant at the Black Elf caravan, or figure out by talking to the Sorceress in the first area, who you get the Green Metal ring from, asking about summoning spells.
    Galehorn - PT - in Shadrack's cave after talking to him
    Ring of Green Metal - PT - after talking to the Sorceress in the hut in the area with the first tower, after talking to Shadrack's and turning back time. You need to counter her spells correctly, casting GUM and OAL, and then she'll give it to you. If you don't have a Vial of Glue for the GUM spell when you go there, she will put one on the table that you can take and use there.
    Pearl Ring - CT - from the merchant at the Black Elf caravan. You can buy it, or cause a distraction when talking to him about it then pocket it.
    Brass Pendulum - CT - from the merchant at the Black Elf caravan.
    Crystal Orb #1 - CT - after killing the Moon Serpent at the top of the mountain south of Kariamma.
    Crystal Orb #2 - CT - can be bought from the Black Elf merchant at the caravan if you don't have one. Best to kill the Moon Serpent for a free one.
    Staff of Oak Sapling - CT - when you come down the mountain going west from killing the Moon Serpent, you'll run into a Gnome (the Sham). If you give her a nice magic item (Giant tooth or, I guess, a Sun Jewel, she'll stop and give you the Staff just before she leaves.). I gave her a Giant tooth because my Sun Jewel seemed like too much. Maybe it doesn't have to be after the Moon Serpent, but that's when I run into her. Unless you import a character though, I don't think it's possible to have a Giant's tooth or a Sun Jewel
    Vial of Holy Water #1 - CT - from the body of the Snake Charmer in the pit west of the Black Elf caravan.
    Vial of Holy Water #2 - CT - from the Black Elf merchant at the caravan. I stole it just before leaving, which you can do by casting NAP or YAZ on him. You can steal a max of 2 items this way, not including the Pearl Ring you can pocket while talking to him.
    Jewel-Studded Medallion - CT - searching the wreckage of Fenestra's hut, after you break the orb there and kill the Sun Serpent
    Vial of Holy Water #3 - CT - in the little house under the bridge in the area just south of Fenestra's hut in the Forest of Snatta. I think it has to be daytime to examine the house closely when you're there and get in. I think I used RAZ to cut the branches without damaging my sword.
    Jewel of Gold #1 - CT - If you turn the tower bream up the tower by the bridge in the Forest of Snatta area on and shine it on the Forest, the Forest turns into a marsh. Walking through it, at some point you'll find a Jewel of Gold (you may have to cast BIG after getting stuck)
    Jewelry of Gold #2 - CT - In Tinpang city. In one area in the lower city there will be a dark area and I think there was a cat there. If you cast HOT it will brighten the area and you can see a Jewel of Gold
    Vial of Holy Water #4-6 - PT - If you shine the beam from the tower in Tinpang on the beach by the Lake, there will be a merchant there. You can buy Holy Water (as well as Blimberry) there.

Consumable magic items (counted in bunches in inventory)

Vial of Glue - PT - from the Sorceress in the first area's hut after talking to Shadrack when she sets it down. If you don't already have one, you'll need this one to use to cast GUM to counter her spell and get the Green Metal ring from her.
    Yellow Powder #1 - CT - one can be found when you uncover the Gnome who makes the Deathwraith illusion, when walking up the mountain to the Moon Serpent. Threaten him. I think you can get a Bracelet of Bone from him too if you don't have one.
    Yellow Powder #2 - PT - shining the tower light in Tinpang in the northern part of the city, you can find a Smoking Building factory when you walk out of the tower. Go in and after talking to the boy, ask him for one. Must be daytime.
    Stone Dust #1 - CT - after killing the Earth Serpent right after crossing the remade bridge over Snatta. I got a 2nd Stone Dust somewhere but I'm not sure where. Maybe you get 2 after the Earth Serpent?
    Sand #1 - PT - when you look into the fire in Kariamma, you can see sand and pebbles. Get the sand but not the pebbles (they will burn you)
    Sand #2 - PT - when travelling through the tunnel north of Kariamma. I think you have to have lit something to brighten the way. You can gather some sand when examining the circular room near the end.
    Sand #3 - CT - walking along the shore by the Lake in the final area with the islands, you can gather some sand.
    Goblin teeth - PT - you can find some Marsh Goblins when walking around the Marsh after turning the Forest of Snatta into a Marsh with the beam. Kill them and take their teeth, along with their parchment.
    Beeswax - CT - when going to the final tower on a southern island. Wander the trees and take some wax from the bee's nest.
    Pebbles - CT - you can pick one up in the rock shower before you run into the Rock Demon in the first area. I think there's a place in the Forest of Snatta you can pick up some too.

I was pretty well equipped with magic items from Khare, so I'm sure there are probably some I missed that just didn't show up for me because I had them already, and some I missed just because I haven't explored there enough. Also, I swear, everybody in this game wants to take my Black Facemask.

I also can't figure out if there's a way to get the Giant tooth from the woman in the first area (in past time) who's sleeping by the tree that she has on a string around her neck. Maybe there's a way, but so far it seems like it's just messing with me.

I think it's fair to assume that all the counter spells come into play against the Archmage in Sorcery! 4, which seems like a more compelling conclusion than the book, as much as I loved the books as a kid.

12. PaleTunaPls

PaleTunaPls Member

Jun 1, 2014
    #92 PaleTunaPls, Apr 25, 2015
    I know this is off-topic in a thread on Sorcery! 3, but I discovered some glitches with Sorcery! 2 I was hoping Inkle could possibly fix in a patch. The first glitch is a problem with the 'potion of mystery' you can buy in dwarftown, when you drink it, your strength increases by 1, but you still have the potion so you can continue drinking it until your strength is 99+. The second glitch isn't really a glitch, but moreso a problem with how the story is being told. At the entrance gates of Kharé, if you have the 'soldier' that you fight in the beginning come with you, open the gate and then wait once, he becomes impatient and rushes of into the courtyard, but if you choose to wait 2 more times, he's suddenly back with you. I also found a small typo in the same scene, when the guards lock the gate again and you use the DOP spell to open it, it says that you've cast the spell on the lock of the Gateonce more. Notice how gate and once are connected and how gate is written with a capital letter. Is there any chance these things will be fixed?

13. darez

darez Member

Mar 18, 2015
    ^ In sorcery 3, the potion's no longer bottomless. But yes, your 99 attack power will still carry over to this one.

14. XSStudio

XSStudio Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Member of TouchArcade
    Not Mars, of course.
    #94 XSStudio, Apr 25, 2015
    I'm wondering is anyone able to actually get married? I read that from inkle's challenge list, but I haven't succeeded yet.

My best guess so far is
    Elthera, the woman under the tree in the wasteland. But the dice game between the two seems to never end, and she always becomes an old lady no matter how soon I visit the cave. Maybe another person?

BTW Bug Report to @inkle : If you play dice with a certain character multiple times, the app will crash quite easily. (Memory leak?)

15. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

Jan 27, 2014
    How to get a chain mail armour (+2):

There is a way to get yourself a nice chain mail (+2 on resistance). In the camp of the dark elves there is a merchant with many items. When you look at his armour he tells you that you wont sell it. Buy the pendulum from him. Now you are able to cast the Sleeping spell. After that you can steal two items (the chainmail and the set of vials are the best option, because they are the most expensive). I let you figure out how to get away with that unharmed on your own :)

With that I have a question. The trader only offered me the pendulum after buying the quite expensive orb from him. As stated many times before, you can get a free orb from the moon serpent. Does this deactivate the trigger that forces you to buy the orb from him?

More questions:

1.) Is there any advantage of meeting flanker? In one playthrough I met him on the bridge but didnt seem to get much from it. So I think it could be a waste of time.
    2.) Sun Serpent. Do we have to kill it by destroying the orb and fighting it (which will kill fenestra). Or is it ok to keep it trapped inside.
    3.) Is there any reliable way of finding a serpent ring? There are some random events in the marsh where you can find one. Also you can get one when Teleporting from the beacon in the south (you will land on a mountain - which I guess is the highest point in the land --> Challenges by inkle) but after that you will fall into water. Destroying your stuff.

Black Facemask boy:

There is a boy walking the streets at the beginning. He tries to steal from you. You can avoid this simple. It is a random event. So if you trigger it, you can rewind. You probably have to rewind several times. But sometimes he wont appear. I guess that in the original books you would have to roll a dice on luck.

16. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    #96 OrangeJews, Apr 25, 2015
    How does one pass Vancass on the bridge? He counters all my spells and giving him my finger is just... weird. And I don't want to mortgage my leg because it's probably going to bite me in the ass at some point. Also, isn't that the same troll from Sorcery 1?

Secondly, what ways are there to resolve the storyline with Alizii (I think that's what her name was)?
    No matter what I do, she refuses to come to Fenestra's house and just disappears. It seems that you can also take her along in the other direction, but the game seems to forget about her after a few stages. It just feels wrong to leave her alone like that :/

You can, in a way. If you come to the geysers in CT and
    look inside on of them, you'll find a giant's tooth inside. The PC will remark on the tooth having been a part of a necklace.
    So I'm pretty sure it's hers. As for how it got there - I've got no idea.

You should visit the Elf witch in the hill.
    Counter all the spells she throws at you and she'll give you the ring.

17. Cheezzhead

Apr 7, 2015
    #97 Cheezzhead, Apr 25, 2015

• Nice list! Maybe we can get a full item list going if others want to cooperate. I added some from my own findings:

(note: list is located here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iFhkEHUfEtyuj5YtD7hcguSaUvCMrRgbmvNTkFugMUw/edit?usp=sharing ) beware of spoilers!

I'm sure this list is incomplete and there are more locations, but I guess this is a start. Also, like Kall said, I'm pretty sure alot more items can be found if you missed them in Khare (which I didn't). The game also gives you ALOT more items if you didn't start from a save.

18. Cheezzhead

Apr 7, 2015
    #98 Cheezzhead, Apr 25, 2015
    The pendulum is also offered if you look at the orb and then refuse to buy it.

1: Not that I know of. Having said that though, does anybody know if it's possible to meet Flanker without sacrificing your Legendary Sword? Haven't found any possibility as of yet.
    2: It's ok to keep it trapped inside. Also, there's plenty opportunity to kill it at a later time (without Fenestra around). Think about the Serpent's weakness.
    3: I got the Serpent Ring in Sorcery 2 (from the blind noble Theetah), so I wouldn't know. I guess you'll have to rely on the random events.

It's not Elthera, it's someone else. And you won't find it unless your character is female.
    But yeah, that challenge took me the longest time because I thought, like you that
    Elthera
    was the answer.
    Interestingly, Elthera does have some additional backstory when it comes to marriage which I won't spoil. But it was another reason why I was convinced Elthera had something to do with this challenge.

19. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks Cheezy. Its true, in one of my Part 2 playthroughs I got a serpent ring as well. Someday I will have to revisit Khare it seems. Until then let us crack this badboy.

Some more items:

8. Staff of Oak Sapling
    You can actually get this from the wandering gnome lady for free (without a giants tooth). When you see the gnome approaching you have to shout "It is you ...anfnaefna (i forgot the name)". For this you have to know her story already. I am not sure, but I think that the way I found out about her is from the scroll that you can buy from the black elves. It costs 2 gold, so it is cheaper than giving away a tooth.

24. Empty Gourd
    There is another gourd in the past time at the place of the snake charmer. They are building some structures there and you can sneak around and steal one.

How to get 60 gold:

You can earn 60 gold when you go to the tooth trader, say that you want to sell and then sell him your ape teeths (I am sure I got them in part 1 or 2). He will pay you 60 gold for them. He says that there are collectors around. I guess that they are useless.
    Btw.: There are three new kind of tooth in this part. Summoning a demon is great. The tooth trader explains that the firefox tooth is for making a fire (instead of a tinderbox I guess). But what good are these cat teeth?

20. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

Jan 27, 2014
    2: It's ok to keep it trapped inside. Also, there's plenty opportunity to kill it at a later time (without Fenestra around). Think about the Serpent's weakness.

--> Yes, but when you throw the orb into water. Will the serpent attack you so that you can kill it? Fenestra tells you about that you should not throw the orb simply in a sea, because after some years the serpent could free itself

- We should make a list of the counterspells and where to get them as well.

Locations to get them. I dont have the app open now, so we have to fill the rest out later:
    - Eletheras cave. You will learn the counter for HOT
    - Brias hut. You will learn two counters
    - Fenestras Hill hut. You will learn two counters
    - The docks. I believe it is in the past time. You have to sleep at the docks. You can then watch the stars as they are mirrored in the sea. You have to choose which constellations to look at before getting attacked by some sea creature. I think you can learn 3 new counters here.