Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Aarcon

Aarcon Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Finished my first play through after some thorough exploring and rewinding, and I think I've uncovered most secrets. Two still perplex me:

If you convert to the God of gods on the second island, what is the advantage? He eventually disappears on you, leaving you godless. What good is that?

What object is needed to cast the secret spell at the stone circle (the one where the seven cloaked figures chant)?

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #62 Aventador, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    How did you manage to convert to God of Gods , I used everything and he just ignored me ?

EDIT : also thanks Inkle for looking into bugs ;)

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Shouldn't the [NZ] be removed from the title. I'm a big fan of Kiwi's and all but this might be confusing for potential buyers.

4. Cheezzhead

Cheezzhead Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Here are some hints (and the solution if you really want to see it):

Hint 1:
    The object can be found in the past, in a cave

Hint 2:
    Using the Crystal Orb in certain locations might help you

Solution:
    In Kariamma, you can find directions to a cave that leads into the swamps to the east. As you pass through the caves, you are able to find a yellow feather. Use this in conjunction with the spell you learn at the stone circle to solve the mystery.

5. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I have always wanted to try the Sorcery series since playing 80 days, But I hate to say this I have not enjoyed any gamebook that I have played, metal Thunder, Joe denvor lone wolf , Some tinman games, the reason why is abrupt endings and for lone wolf feeling like my choices don't matter, Now 80 days was amazing and I feel like I should try these so here are my main concerns

1. Do choices matter or is it illusion of choice?
    2. Do my choices carry over book to book?
    3. Is the game repayable as 80 days?
    4. is the story the same no matter what?

6. Aarcon

Aarcon Member

Jan 24, 2015
    To convert to the God of gods:

Say you will offer something and then give nothing. Say "I do" each time.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    1. Yes, they matter, and have an actual impact on events in the game.
    2. Yes. Equipment, too.
    3. More so.
    4. No. The overarching tale is, but the actual story as played out can be massively different between players and playthroughs because of all the ways of handling situations, and the various choices of path through the game.

8. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Do you have to have played 1 and 2?

Question in title :)

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Probably been covered in the thread already, but now that we have an open world, is there much in the way of replayability? Specifically, I don't mean miking out a 2nd or 3rd run with a slightly different experience, I mean something more like King of Dragon Pass where the game can easily be replayed hundreds of times and still remain interesting.

10. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You don't literally have to have played the first two games, but as this is the third part of a cohesive four-part story, it's really best to have played parts one and two first.

11. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Figured that. So got the first one and just started. Love it so far.

12. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Yeah, I was wondering about this too! Maybe the black mask will play important part in Book 4?

Thanks for your detailed answer about gods.

On the boy:
    I ignored him and he stole my Black Mask. But I found another Black Mask when saving the Earth goddess' priest. So I call this even :p

On the bridge:
    Try to climb the big bridge in the past. You don't have to leave your Legendary Sword.

Btw, do the gods do something beneficial for you?
    I know that
    the Earth goddess allowed me to blow Earth Serpent away from the land and kill him easily.

13. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The developers have taken care to build each game on the shoulders of the one before, with each being longer, more involved, and more expansive than the last. If you like the first book, it's only going to get better from there.

14. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I am amazed how expansive this one turned out to be.
    It’s extremely oppressing most of the time, making Kharé look like a walk in the park.
    I spent about 2 hours playing and I was so immersed that I forgot I was actually playing something.

15. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Well, then. I did it ..after two restarts, much rewinding, and just a *bit* of cheating on a walkthrough of the paper version of the game to find the sun serpent. I had been over the entire map twice and still couldn't find it.

The locations:
    1. Fire Serpent: In the northwestern desert area southwest of Kariamma, which is itself in the past, just northwest
    of the big broken bridge, on the west side of the first mountain range.
    2. Moon Serpent: Same area, right on the western entrance to the big bridge.
    3. Sun Serpent: Just east of there in the sorceresses' hut in the forest of Snatta, on a bare hillock in the northeast section.

All the other serpents are right around the lake.

4. Earth Serpent: Just east of the big bridge, just past the abandoned hut above the lake. Rest there a minute and
    you'll soon be murdered by it.

5. Air Serpent: On the shores of the lake, shapechanged into a human ferryman.

6. Water Serpent: In the lake itself. After killing the air serpent just row around as if you were on holiday and
    the Water Serpent will eventually come up to sink your boat. It takes quite some time, however.

7. Time Serpent. On the southwestern island in the big lake.

How it happened

part 1 (in spoilers)

The 7-snake walkthrough -- which does abuse the stuffing out of the beacons, I'm afraid. This isn't optimal, because it took 15 days. But it worked. Also, my [female] character got married.

DAY 1

1. Strolling out of Khare with a whistle on my lips and a song in my heart. This carefree journey lasted perhaps ten steps before our gallant heroine (yes, the character is female) is beset by 4 Deathhawks. She attempted
    to get them to fight each other with LAW, but this didn't last for very long. She was saved by an eagle who dropped a message tube in front of her. Seven serpents had spied upon us in Analand and were now carrying word of our venture to Mampang. Some would wait in ambush while others would hurry on to the great Fortress. We were to seek
    out the hermit Shadrack to assist us.

2. Eventually stumbling her way into The Pit, she traveled east along the southern road while being pestered by invisible voices until she wound up speaking with a tree. This tree told her to travel to Fishtail rock in order to meet Shadrach,just to the east, which we did.

3. Arriving at fishtail rock, the hermit did something peculiar which evidently transported the land --
    and our good self -- back in time. The land is green and fertile in the past. He gave us some hints and
    told us to head to the tower to the north, then headed off east to turn himself into a tree, so he would be
    able to meet us in what is now the future.

DAY 2

4. Travelled southeast instead to find a hut in which an older sorceress gave us many hints and lessons in counterspelling. Once this was done it was back north to fishtail rock , then west to a tree where we met a
    young woman who was absolutely terrible at both swindlestones and telepathy. Well, we can't all be number one,
    I guess. From there it's north to the first beacon ...

... actually, in my first playthrough I *completely missed* this and wound up going north to the desert by
    first casting FAL , then HUF using a galehorn the Hermit had conveniently left on fishtail rock, blowing us
    over the bridge and depositing us in the desrt.

But after some doing I actually found the beacon I had completely walked past and fired it up, pointing the beam west to illuminate the bridge. Now, in the past, the bridge is fully repaired. We don't head there immediately,
    though. Instead we take a meandering tour west through the rest of the pit, where a young boy robs us of
    a mirror we were carrying. From there it's across the bridge.

5. From there we traveled north east along the southern road, then cut north to a pile of rubble which
    turned out to have a blue crystal teleporation device in it, which when touched would allow us to return
    to a ruined beacon. Many tries later I would figure out this was a ruined beacon. At some point in here we had to sleep, and were beset by some monster or other.

DAY 3
    6. Traveled Northeast from there to find a caravan of dark elves lost in the desert, endlessly travelling in circles. One of them was willing to play swindlestones and gave up 9 gold, which went with most of my remaining funds to invest in a new spellbook with something I hadn't encountered before, a scroll, and an axe of hewing, perfect for chopping down trees, of which there are absolutely none in a desert.

7. Went back over to the ruined beacon, then west to follow the western road north. Encountered a snake charmer who
    gave us a clue or two. Followed our weay north from there , then east, where we encountered another sorceress disguised as a gnome. She gave us hints which will no doubt be useful in book 4, and a wooden staff. Travelled
    east from there, cutting south from the road, to see some very long tracks in the ground -- something a snake might leave!

8. Followed the tracks to the southeast and found ourselves in a fight with a FIRE SERPENT! We used sand here -- I forget whether as part of the MUD star alignment or just plain threw it at him -- but this reduced him to a very weak lizard indeed. Since our heroine had been carrying a legendary sword she had bought in Khare for 40 GP, she effortlessly sliced it into snake sushi.

Day 4

9. Travelled north back onto the road from there, and followed the road to the base of a big bridge. The MOON SERPENT was waiting there! As before, he was exposed to ... fire, I think ...? Which again, took the fight right out of him, and he also joined the fire serpent in snake sushidom.

Snakes... why did it have to be snakes...

Travelled east to find the bridge broken, so we slid right down it, landing in the middle of the woods. From there walked east to join the road, follow the road north then east until nighttime.

Day 5

10. Follow the road east onto a bare hill which turned out to be inhabited by another sorceress. It turned out she had the SUN SERPENT trapped in a crystal orb, and I decided to let sleeping snakes lie. Took my leave and headed due south past an abandoned hut which my character chose to ignore completely, totally against my will.

11. Headed due south to a forest pool, and we saw another beacon, but Sally (that's what I'll call her) didn't want to get wet, so she headed east and south instead. There must be another way into that tower that doesn't involve
    losing all our papers and provisions.

So west, then south down the road towards the steppes, encountering a bear on the way which we used LAW to drive off. Walk down to the steppes to find the place is empty at this time of day, so we head west instead.

12. Find a hermit living on top of a pole who gives us advice and a jewel-covered thingamobob, which allows us
    to cast ZEN. Thanks! Unfortunately, he was then grabbed by a bird and flown to who knows what awful fate.

13. Travelled west, south and east to arrive at an abandoned temple, at which point night fell.

DAY 6

14. Searched the temple and found a priest locked in a cellar, whom we released. Unfortunately the temple chose that moment to fall over, so the priest quit his job and went to a life elsewhere of drinking and gambling. There was a well nearby which turned out to have a normal snake in it (horribly murdered with HOT) , and a lot of jewels,
    which we recovered by judicious use of the FAL star alignment while climbing down the well's rope.

15. Traveled to a low mound to the east which appeared to be visited by the TIME SERPENT and friends. They
    brutally kill our character but somehow she isn't dead; the world is twisted and there is now a pocket of
    past around the low mound, where steppe becomes marsh.

16. Traveled up through the marsh, then east to beacon #4. Turn it on, then re-enter the marsh where we
    encounter Marsh Goblins carrying a scroll and being hunted by the time serpent. We graciously took it off their
    hands in the hope this meant the time serpent would stop hunting them.

17. Once this was done head east to the Khattaman village, where we chatted around a fire, beat up the village
    champion, was healed by the village shaman, and rested the night.

Day 7

18 . Went north back to the forest, followed the loop counter clockwise in the hopes of finding forage, attacked by a Snatta which was driven off with LAW, and finally back to the pool where we had found beacon #3. Now that we had the jewel-studded medallion we could zip across the water without getting drenched!

19. Entered the tower, turned on the beacon, faced it northward to illuminate the ruins of the great bridge. The land shimmered into the past, when the bridge was still repaired.

20. Travelled north to the bridge, then west until I could find some place to climb up. Wound up walking all night because the area was now marsh and not safe. Crossed over the bridge and paid a beggar a gold piece while crossing over.

DAY 8
    21. Travelled east to find an abandoned hut with a dead man in it, which puzzled us greatly. Just downhill from there we were ambushed by the EARTH SERPENT. After dodging earthquakes, lava, and rockslides Sally whipped out her galehorn and blew the earth snake into the air, when it became helpless. She killed it, no combat encounter necessary.

22. Follow the road north from there, then north east into the ruins of Tinpang. After throughly exploring the ruins, found beacon #4 in a tower there and fired it up. Unfortunately not enough gold so wound up sleeping in an alley.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

16. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    #76 pendell, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Part 2 (still in spoilers]

DAY 9
    23. The next day sold all our snatta and firefox teeth to a collecter here for 89 gold! We also investigated a factory, visited a would-be prophet in the low city, and made our way out of town south to the lake. We blew a whistle to summon the "ferryman" , whom we asked to row east. We checked out the northeastern island, and at this point ran out of daylight.

DAY 10
    24. The island was inhabited by an Analand captive had essentially been turned into an unwilling human suicide bomber with Sally as his target! She made it off the island back to the boat, then traveled southeast. It was at this point the AIR SERPENT revealed his true colors, but Sally had been forewarned, sees the remnant of his body, and tore it in pieces, killing him without the need for combat.

Head south from there to the southeastern most island which held beacon #5. I had been given a compass in the village on the steppes, and this compass led Sally to the door of the tower. She entered it and activated.

With access to beacons 2, 3, 4, and 5 (swamp, forest, steppe, Tinpang), Sally used the blue crystal teleporters
    in each tower to point all four beacons directly at the known location of the time serpent on the southwestern island.

This took a LOT of tries by the way. The Time Serpent killed me last week a number of times until I figured out I needed more than 1 beacon. Than even more tries with only two beacons until I finally got it right with 3 or 4.

Once all the beacons were aligned, Sally paddled over to the southwestern island to confront the TIME SERPENT. Thus trapped in the crossing beams of time, Sally simply walked up to the frozen creature and one-shotted it.

Once this was done, night fell, so Sally rested on the island.

DAY 11

25. Sally takes the boat to the southeast bank of the lake, during which time the WATER SERPENT rises from the lake to pay his respects. Sally promptly throws a vial of oil in his mouth, killing him in one shot , again, without the need for combat. With all seven serpents dead, it's time for some clean up. She abandons the boat to find ruined beacon #2 right there on the shore. She uses the crystal to teleport to beacon #1, back in the Pit.

DAY 12
    26. At beacon 1, she re-aligns it to point north shining over the ruins of the beacon there (it wasn't until well into the playthrough I figured that this would rebuild the tower there), then used the teleporter to hop over the bridge to what was ruined beacon #1 and is now beacon #6. Activated THIS beacon as well and aimed it northeast, illuminating the village of Kariamma. Traveled north past what had been the caravan campground , where we found a dark elf nailed to a crucifix.

ALTERNATE TIME LINE: Used holy water to resurrect him only to have him fall over stone dead again a minute later.

At any rate, continued northwest into an open field where we found a man buried up to his neck for stealing. Sally used BIG to improve her strength, then dug him out. In gratitude the man proposed marriage on the spot , offering Sally a pearl ring as a token of his affection.

Hey, sorceresses don't get out much, y'know? She took him up on his deal, he handed over the ring, and promptly disappeared, leaving her heartbroken and alone again.

Still, undaunted, she headed northeast towards Kariamma and the village there. Actually, she also swung southeast to take the far southeastern road in what had been desert to meet a butcher on her cart. Having all her food washed away in her swim, she took this opportunity to buy some meat (including Snatta steak). Travelled to Kariamma where she cooked the meat and listened on a story of tunnels under the city. She spent the night there, determined to check it out in the morning.

DAY 13
    Follow the kids to the tunnel mouth, then travel through it. Found a beautiful , obviously magical artifact but not able to do anything about it. A cave in forced her to run through the tunnel to the east, back into the Snatta forest.

Day 14 and 15 were taken with walking to beacon #2 -- the forest beacon -- teleporting to the ruined beacon on the southeast shore of the lake, then walking uphill to the road to Mampang and the end of the game!

ETA: Odd. I count 15 days but the game says 13. Ah well!
    Respectfully,

Brian P.

17. Aarcon

Aarcon Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I think the 'achievement' inkle is mentioning is killing the seven serpents without teleporting via the beacons (rotating beam is obviously still ok). Still, congrats on finishing the game.

18. Cheezzhead

Apr 7, 2015
    I actually interpreted it as
    not using the beacons whatsoever, not even activating. So no going to the past either. By my knowledge it's impossible to kill all serpents with this restriction.

pendell: Nice write-up, it's interesting to see how many different paths throughout the baklands are possible, it's just a testament to how expansive this game is. However I do believe
    you missed 1 serpent. Or rather, leaving the Sun Serpent imprisoned doesn't necessarily mean it's harmless

19. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Hmm,
    without lighting any beacon, how do we cross to the last area where the lake is? Also, how do we kill the Time Serpent? It requires three beacons to make it sleep.

If anyone knows the answer to spoiler point above, please share!

20. Cheezzhead

Apr 7, 2015
    Crossing over from the forest of Snappa to TInpang is a challenge, indeed, but not impossible. As for the Time Serpent, that's exactly why I believe it's impossible to kill all the Serpents with these restrictions (as Inkle also mentioned).