Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Actually, whenever you tap on the little red dot with an circle/arrow in it (noting where you've previously been) in the first two, you rewind to that spot in your story/adventure. I've only done it a couple times in the first book so far, but it is an amazing feature that blew me away!

2. netmute

netmute Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Aaaand there goes my freetime ;)

3. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Is it possible to
    complete the game without using beacons at all!? Interesting! I relied on manipulating beacons in my playthrough. Gotta try this!

- Reach the summit of the highest mountain in the Horns
    ----- I am not sure I did this.

- Explore the ruins under Kariamma with torchlight
    ----- Did this! However, I can't get the gold horn.

- Unravel the secret of the tombstone
    ----- Which tombstone?

- Rescue the head in the mud
    ----- But he is a thief!

- Finish the game with 25 maximum stamina
    ------ Only 21 :(

- Get buried alive
    ----- did not have this pleasure

- Encounter an old friend
    ----- met him!

4. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #44 Aventador, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Anyone got to end of game and has advices on routes taken / rare items ?

I killed all Serpents apart from
    Time Serpent
    and got to end of lake with huge variety of items, however I haven't ended game yet as I'm trying to solve a few more mysteries.After this one I'll probably start fresh again ( well not completely fresh, have save game from previous Sorcerys ;) to collect all rare items.
    Could anyone help me with ( spoilers ahead , don't read if you haven't completed game):
    - obtaining horn artefact in cave, is it even possible ?
    - anyone know which God is best to choose from, at least 4 different Gods can be converted to ?
    - can small tornado / sand elemental be killed ?
    - can old elvin leader be saved ?
    - is there any new magic to obtain apart from SSS ?
    - how to counter stealing item in start of game ( small kid that gives you back black mask, but steals other random item , usually rarest one ? )
    - is there easier way to cross swamps apart from constant use of levitating spell ?
    - Anyone tried crossing two rays of towers and got new events in process on some places ?
    - Is there any way to go past bridge watcher ( old hunchback ) without giving him anything valuable ?

Also , there is some bugs, namely when fighting Air serpent ( developers know when it happens, don't want to spoil ), if I choose option to immediatly attack it, game goes to battle mode with showing me no enemy and game crashes immediatly ( tried it 3 times, crashed every time ).Game is also slowing down in places , not as responsive as previous games.

I prefer Khare over this, but Sorcery 3 still has more branching paths and events, it feels more like actual open world ready to explore which is at same time frigtening as there are many paths and beacon element to change timelines is just over the top , forcing completionist like me to backtrack whole map multiple times in order to get everything.
    Also this game has more time travel and time paradoxes than whole Terminator saga.

5. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Just finished 2 so I'm ready for 3. Undortunantely I failed to unlock the door OR save the city so I feel pretty bad.

6. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Kinda stuck towards the end and it's driving me bonkers. Regards the water serpent.

How do I get the ferryman to appear? I have a whistle, but blowing it does nothing. I've waited during the day and night and back in time. Nothing.

Thanks!

7. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    That is strange, in my playthrough
    I blew the whistle and the ferryman arrived right away.

8. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

This one will be fixed in the next update (and was pretty dumb of us, too -- apologies!)

9. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Yeah, I have no idea.
    There is only one whistle, right?
    Maybe I didn't trigger something somewhere?

10. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    You are in wrong timeline
    , don't use beacon to reveal port , ferryman is only avaliable in timeline after curse.

11. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Encountering old friends - there are multiple friends, but I guess one that is met on bridge ? ;)

12. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Nope, I've done it with the
    port active and in the present. Does it have something to do with the bells on the islands? And how does one get to the last beacon?

13. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    I met
    him
    too! Is there anyone else that I can meet?

14. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    For the last beacon, just go to the island (in my case, using the boat). Then enter the tower, wait for the machine to fire fireball, then go up and open the trap door, go down again, wait and go upstairs again.

15. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Didn't end up needing the
    ferryman. I was thinking that was the only way to get the water serpent to appear, but I was wrong. Downed it and the time serpent soon after. Took 19 in game days though to get all seven serpents. I'd like to polish that down.

16. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Wait,
    if you did not meet the ferryman, then how did you meet the Air Serpent?

Also,
    did you swim to get accross the lake?

17. Le_Lapin_Noir

Le_Lapin_Noir Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I met the Air Serpent south of the swamps in a storm. Ohhhh, I was getting Water and Air mixed up. THAT's why the ferryman never came. I killed him (it) already. Yeah, I swam the lake. Fighting the air serpent earlier will destroy your rations though.

18. esvath

esvath Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Oooh... So
    the Serpents' locations are not fixed!?
    That is cool!

19. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Finished my first playthrough now, albeit a very poor one with lots missed. This is a really interesting one! It is clear that Inkle have put a huge amount of work into it and some of the map detail and extra drawings are wonderful.

The extra complexities such as varying times of day must have been really tricky for them to track and the new addition of the beacons adds a whole other aspect not in the book.

I find myself not 100% convinced that it is better for the open world aspect though. Does it make it feel just a bit less focussed? On first playthrough it seemed to lack the clear milestones of the first two. And it also seems to have lost some of the sense of progression and urgency that I remember from the book. On what has been a long arduous journey from Analand, it seems weird to spend days ambling about in all directions. I don't feel that driving force that was the race against the serpents. Perhaps it needs a more obvious time lock?

I don't mean this as much of a negative because it is balanced by this new system offering a lot of interesting things too. I'm just not yet sure it's actually better than the linear system of the previous two.

That said, I'm going on a single play through, which is nowhere near enough. The one thing Inkle's previous Sorcery adaptations have done is surprise me more as I played through them again and again. I'm already looking forward to starting this one again and really trying to track down and defeat each and every serpent and find lots of goodies. That is where these really present a challenge and get very interesting. Actually I'm still not completely satisfied with how I did on my last Khare playthrough!

I remember when the first Sorcery was released and being blown away by what Inkle brought to it. My huge fear was that they wouldn't finish the series. And since with these (and 80 Days) they continue to impress. Even with so much left to play in this one, I'm already looking forward to Crown of Kings!

20. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #60 Aventador, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Gods :
    I found out 4 possible Gods so far, with Earth Goddes being only one that actually offers you worship by itself ( probably not the best choice as it is easily obtained ).Another God ( actually animal spirit ) can be obtained by examining poles and touching markings near big bridge that leads over forest.Even game says it is a "special place" where Gods are near humans, I got Gorilla spirit from there, however in one try also lost God.Third God can be found in area north of first bridge in game ( in older timeline when there was forest ).There is a big statue of God of "peace" or something and you meet woman there who is pregnant at given time and supposedly mother of Archmage himself ( God tells you that after meditating there and orders you to kill her , I refused - If it was all that easy, there wouldn't be a book 4 ;).Last one was "offered" after interacting with small idol on small island with shack on lake ( one with herbalist inside ).My current God then ( Courga ) told me that idol is for worshipping powerfull God of Gods, tried to sacrifice items for him but he didn't accept ( most likely you need to posses special item for it to work - probably the best choice for God ).

About the boy at start :
    did you check your items , I think boy always steals something, even when ignored ? My Gold Mirror "magically" vanished and that is one of items I don't want to loose at current stage.

Swamp :
    I was asking about traveling trough swamp just so I can explore everything in current timeline without having to worry , it is sure hectic with constant draining of stamina for levitation.

Bridge and going around without paying :
    I also scaled bridge in middle, that is only way to avoid paying hunchback his toll ( that is too much ).However during that process you loose valuable Legendary sword as you leave it on ground before scaling up bridge.Going with hunchback, he demands first black mask, then he trows it and demands orb, then he takes legendary sword, so all those items lost for simple task of crossing bridge.Another option is to offer him your finger or leg - I offered him to take my finger and he took one from sword hand, so sword skill down, but you manage to keep all items with you that way.

Friends :
    You meet assasin from Sorcery 1 on bridge and Oversserer from Sorcery 1 near end of game, on first island to right in lake.There is also some other "friends" you meet, but they are illusions and not real.Also , due to changing timelines, it is possible to meet same people in different timelines.

Also, I might be paranoid here, but literally everyone in this game is trying to steal or take away black mask in any other way from player.Conspiracy ?