Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    It just occured to me: do you have a tinderbox from S2? I imagine you can't strike a light without it.

2. flosse

flosse Member

Jul 17, 2014
    THAT seems to be the problem. I do not have the tinderbox. Does anyone know how to get it (or something similar) in S3? Thanks!

3. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Very extensive work has been done to compile all the items available in S3, and a tinderbox is not one of them.

4. flosse

flosse Member

Jul 17, 2014
    … I am off to a replay …
    Thanks!

5. Etherbreather

Etherbreather Active Member

Jul 9, 2015
    #525 Etherbreather, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Does anyone have an optimized NBAS run and/or an optimized average time run? Without using the "instant travel" trick...

6. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #526 Kaboobie, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    This Google doc has the NBAS run I have worked from. It takes 6 days, but I take extra time to get all the stamina boosts.

I posted an 8-day walkthrough a long time ago, but people have run into a few snags replicating it (timing just a bit off, or getting locked out of the Steppes tower). I think it's still a good starting point, and you can tweak it as needed to get items I didn't include. (I covered all magical ingredients, but not all the unique items such as the arrow or beard.) Bear in mind, even though the text at the end of S3 makes it sound like you will have a disadvantage at >8 days, I have beta-tested S4 with 9 or 10 and found no difference compared to 8.

7. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #527 Kaboobie, Sep 12, 2016
    There is a comprehensive walkthrough complete with transcript here, which includes most if not all of the items I missed. It takes 5 days with fast travel. (I didn't know this still worked; I assumed inkle would have fixed it by now.) I would suggest trying it out and see how long it takes with normal travel. Even if it winds up taking 10 days (due to timing of certain events) you'll be okay in S4. And you can trim or rearrange steps as necessary to get it to your desired length.

8. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Hey cool. I was always a little annoyed that there were so many interesting and fun people, actions etc. in the Baklands, that I wanted to see. So I guess I will just do a NBAS run with no regards to time and one with fast travel if it still works.
    It seems weird to do so, but maybe Inkle wanted there to be a possibility of seeing all there is to see while still getting a "fast passage ending"? Though by exploiting what is obviously a glitch and so allowing one to cheat, as long as one knows one is cheating?

9. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #529 Kaboobie, Sep 12, 2016
    My best playthroughs using fast travel were 4 days NBAS (missing 1 stamina point), 5 days all stamina and magical ingredients. Unfortunately, both started from a cloud save where I had used the infinite potion glitch in S2 and hadn't gotten all the items that give you a legitimate battle skill boost (I think I was missing Ragnarista's Armband and the Chainmail gauntlet). I found myself too weak in S4 to fight some of the stronger opponents.

I haven't been able to use fast travel reliably since then, which is why I thought it had been disabled. Also, achieving NBAS is a pain because waiting for the time winds to hit the Steppes Tower drives me absolutely crazy. I do have one good NBAS cloud save (10 days) and literally dozens of others, many just in the past couple of months that I have been beta-testing S4.

10. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    I was moaning about the NBAS earlier in this thread. I havent tried it in months but I think it is something about waiting until the beacon-flag flickers and THEN going there in stead of aiming for the flag being in the AW time.

11. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Sooo having played none of them...would I have to start at 1? Do certain items carry over to 2 and 3 and 4? What is NBaS?

Thanks,
    Might check it out

12. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    You don't need to have played previous games, but I would recommend it. You will have a much richer experience.

Items, skill, and stamina you gain in one game carry over to the next.

NBAS = no beacons all serpents. It will make sense when you play S3.

13. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    I second that. Some dialogue and events are triggered by actions in the previous games. That being said all the games can be played as stand alone games. But then again. Why would you deliberately have less fun? :D

14. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    They are all 3 on sale for just 99c /79p in the App Store right now, if you have an iOS device nab them!

It's a bit like a movie series. You can enjoy Aliens (2) without seeing Alien (1), but they're both great, so why not watch both?

15. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Does it cloud save the previous game's progress, or do you need to keep the earlier one installed as well??

16. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    You do not need to keep the earlier game installed. You get a cloud save code at the end that you enter into the next game. You can have multiple games saved under the same code, which is especially helpful in later games as the number of different pathways for completing them increases.

I would suggest playing each game and generating saves until you are satisfied that you have explored all the options. But you can always reinstall if you discover something new you would like to try out, which is pretty much inevitable. :cool:

17. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Well in that case I will make an >8 days NBAS run and a >8 days normal run. I like the Baklands too much to skip all the fun :)

18. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    #538 Etherbreather, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Kasheesh

Does anyone have the "correct" dialogue options for
    Kasheesh?
    I'm doing a NBAS run, and it is a pain having to wait for a random cloud of time every time I have to rewind :confused:

I mean whether it is possible to get something out of the encounter :D

19. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I haven't quite figured it out myself. I found a comment that has some helpful hints (and the guide on that site is very useful if you're still working through the game, though it doesn't cover everything).

20. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Has anyone found a place where it is possible to cast SOB (with a Snattacat's tooth)?

Bria will hint at this spell (and ZOB) if you visit her while carrying the crystal tooth. And in S4
    It's one of the hidden spells you get credit for at the end