Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Completionist Playthrough

So I just put the finishing touches on a very complete, very thorough 8-day playthrough of the game (not a NBAS this time, as I used plenty of Beacons in order to get through the game with as much stuff as I can get). Through the long and tortuous course of things (made easier by the instant travel trick, which I continue to abuse :)), here were some more things I found out:

- There are a few items that can obtained in duplicate, but only if you follow specific steps. You can acquire 2 Pearl Rings in the game, but only if the first one you get is from the thief buried in the ground (with the second being stolen from Oolooh's shop). You can also get 2 Water Gourds, but only if the first one you get is from the Tower Construction Site (i.e. the Snake Charmer's Pit in Past Mode). You can then pick up the Empty Gourd from Gunluchi later (if you got this second Gourd first, then the Water Gourd will be nowhere to be found when you visit the Tower site). Interestingly, once both Gourds become filled with water, one of them disappears from your inventory and you're left with only one Water Gourd, though if you used both of them to hold Holy Water, the duplicate Gourd disappearing won't affect the number of measures of Holy Water you're holding (the Tower Gourd I got the Priest to bless, while the Empty Gourd I filled with Holy Water from the Steppes pit you dig up the body with the whistle from).

- There are also some items that the game tells you you've obtained, but don't actually show up in your inventory (not sure if this has to do with the fact that my inventory MIGHT have too much stuff in it already, causing some of the code to bug out...). For example, I noticed that if I go into the Cave in the Cliffs for a Rope Ladder, the game will tell me I've obtained it, but it doesn't appear in the inventory. Likewise, blowing and then sucking on the totem near the bridge will bring up the message telling me I've obtained beeswax, but the beeswax count in my inventory doesn't change.

- Don't know if anyone has yet solved this, but I strongly believe that there's only one possible location for clearing Inkle's "Six Giant Invisible clones" challenge. If you shine a beacon on a location near the Earth Serpent's fissure (or wait till the Time Winds sweep over the area in a NBAS run), you can meet Kasheesh, the Elvin buried under rocks beside a river. Normally, most people choose to dig him out, but doing so is a multi-step process where each step allows you the option to Cast a Spell. You can easily cast the first two parts of the challenge -- SIX and BIG -- here, though I have yet to find the ability to cast YAZ anywhere, and would love for someone to tell me how to do it. Of course, we're all doing this just to figure out how, because meeting the challenge shouldn't really help you get anything from the guy (you can steal the 8 gold he has in his purse through magic, but doing that only requires that you cast a simple fAL spell and then undo the knots).

- If you visit the Tooth Shop and choose to sell one of your molars to the merchant, you can get it later if you leave that part of the city and re-enter (not sure if you're supposed to shift the timeline to do it, because I saw a fading flag when re-entering the Upper City and, since I was already familiar with that glitch via my NBAS run, quickly drew a line there out of habit). The Tooth Shop is empty when you visit a second time, and you'll have the opportunity to find and bag the tooth you sold (you can also choose to pop it back in your gums, but it falls right back out again).

- If you haven't yet learned about counterspells before you visit Manata the Snake Charmer, then casting DUm while he's playing the flute will NOT result in you learning the DUm-JIG counter.

- Does anyone know if Vancass's lines change at all if you show up in Part 3 having already met him in Part 1? I'd love to find out, but can't do it on my own -- in all my playthroughs of Sorcery! 1, I went the other way instead of going through Vancass's bridge (because, um, I could get 3 pebbles, hurt the Manticore a little, and steal money from a Troll by going the lower path...)

Stats at the end of my completionist run:

(This run is based on a save where I visited Daddu-Ley in Part 1, and then made a conscious effort ever afterward to maximize gold, though I never sold anything
    -- except stuff like the Rock Demon Tooth, which can be replaced later, as well as the Long Sword, which you needed to sell to avoid losing it for nothing when you go meet Flanker --
    and never bought anything that I didn't have to, such as Rations or the horribly expensive Holy Water/Blimeberry Potions the Bottle Maker sells. I also burned one of my leftover Noble sketches from Part 2 to rid the dwarf's bag of Greasemaggots and net an extra Ration...)

Stamina - 29/31 (carrying a Crystal Tooth)
    Gold - 291
    Rations - 25 (7 meals, 8 joints of meat, 4 cooked fish, Honeycomb, Bomba fruit, Handful of berries, 3 apples, Water Gourd)
    God - Courga

Magical Items:
    Spell book page
    Crystal Tooth
    10 quantities of beeswax
    Cloth Skullcap
    7 quantities of Sand
    Vial of Glue
    Nose Plugs
    13 pebbles
    6 doses of Blimberry juice
    Bamboo Flute
    6 Goblin Teeth
    3 Giants' Teeth
    Black Facemask
    Green-haired Wig
    Bracelet of Bone
    26 Sun Jewels
    Gold-backed Mirror
    Orb of Crystal
    5 measures of Holy Water
    Ring of Green Metal
    2 Pearl Rings
    Jewel-Studded Medallion
    Brass Pendulum
    Staff of Oak Sapling
    Galehorn
    3 vials of Yellow Powder
    3 handfuls of Stone Dust
    3 Jewels of Gold

Other Items:
    The Sun Serpent Orb
    Message From Analand
    Whistle
    Flask of Oil
    Monarch Oil
    Goblin Message
    Detached Beard
    Human Skull
    Six-lobed Leaf
    Purple Leaves
    A Set of Dice
    Giant's Tongue
    Giant Net
    Locket
    Compass
    3 vials of snake-bite antidote
    Burnt Wooden Mask
    Tinderbox
    Fire of Danger
    Two Halves of a Note
    Sketch of the First Noble
    Potion of Mystery
    Rope Ladder
    Walking Cane
    3 Firefox Fangs
    3 Bottles of Bark Essence
    Poison
    Borrinskin Boots
    A Human Tooth
    My Tooth
    7 Snattacats' Teeth

Weapons:
    Sword (-2)
    Broadsword (+1)
    Long Sword (+2)
    Chainmail Shirt (+2)
    Legendary Sword (+4)
    Assassin's Sword (+4)
    Bow and Silver Arrows
    Silver Sword (-3)
    Hefty Arrow
    Hewing Axe
    Chakram
    Silver Chain
    Chainmail Gauntlet (+1)

Treasure: Badge of the Seventh Noble, Serpent Ring, Fistful of Gems, Assorted Ancient Coins
    Keys: Snake-belly Key, Kharé gate key, Copper Key, Silver Key
    Counterspells: ZAP-ZEN, HOT-dOC, FOF-mUD, WAL-POp, LAW-mAG, DUm-JIG, BIG-YOB, WOK-RAZ, DOP-fAR, SUS-gAK, gUm-ZIp, HOW-fIX, fAL-ROK, dIm-KID, NIF-HUF, TEL-YAZ, gOD-NAP

Anyone who wants to use my saves in Part 4 can use them via the cloud save name
    BUHAKA
    , though I'm probably going to redo my NBAS run at a later date (found out that it's not QUITE optimized... missing out on 18 gold [fighting off robbers at the caravan + stealing from Kasheesh] and didn't need to sacrifice a Sun Jewel in trade to Dintainta (found out later that I had more than enough time not to try killing the Moon Serpent on the very first night...).

2. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Good job, Kamatari. I did a 'completionist' playthrough too, but it wasn't as thorough as yours (mainly because I haven't been able to replicate the fast travel glitch yet) :)

I'll provide one answer and ask a few questions.

Yes, but not much. You get a bit of text on how 'you recognize Vancass', but when you ask him, 'Don't you remember me?', he's like nope, pay my toll. Makes sense because you're meeting him in the past, before the events of S!1.

Now the questions.

- Where did you get 'A Human Tooth' from?
    - How did you get 3 Yellow Powders? I know you get one on the mountain where you fight the Moon Serpent, and one in Tinpang, where did you get the third?
    - Giant's Tongue - I know you can get in S!1, but has there been any use for this?

Note: You can burn two of your 'Sketch of Khare Nobles' in the mines instead of the duplicate spellbook, and still locate the feather. That way, you still have a (IMHO) relatively useful item in your inventory instead of two (IMHO) useless ones.

PS Thank you for replying in post #426 on my S!2 question. I've posted a follow-up question in the S!2 thread, could you could visit it and help me out, if possible? Thanks!

3. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    From the sleeping priest in the Ruins of Tinpang. If you fight him as a giant without moving him (which undoes the BIG spell he's being enchanted by), after you defeat him you can snatch a tooth from his mouth. It turns from a Giant's Tooth to a Human Tooth as the BIG spell cast on him fades away.

The boy guarding the entrance at the sunrock factory gives you two vials of Yellow Powder instead of one if you choose not to impersonate the Archmage's Overseer and enter the factory for "inspections". Stay outside the factory and ask the boy questions on how he's doing his NIp trick, and eventually he'll show you his Yellow Powder and give you two vials.

Not to my knowledge, no. Though I do hear it can be eaten as an emergency ration if you run out of all other food...

I believe you can steal from Courga as long as you've fulfilled the conditions necessary for converting to him (i.e. don't kill anybody except in self-defense; beware especially of the Chainmaker, Flayer and guards in the Council Chamber).

4. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Oh, and one more thing that I don't know if anyone's mentioned: if you go to Shadrack's cave at night (late enough that his message on the cave wall can't be read), you'll find a stack of pebbles (3 of them) that you can pocket. However, doing this means that you must rest in the cave overnight to retain any chance of meeting Shadrack, because if you leave and rest elsewhere that night, you'll find on subsequent visits to the cave during daytime that the message on the wall has disappeared, and you're therefore no longer able to summon Shadrack. But for some strange reason, this problem will not appear if you sleep in the cave right after taking the pebbles.

For a completionist, therefore, the following are the places you must rest at in order to get maximum stuff:

-- Shadrack's cave (after pocketing pebbles)
    -- Any unsheltered area prior to visiting the beacon north of the bridge (to get the Snake-belly Key)
    -- Kariamma (after drinking the Nightfin Soup for +1 stamina)
    -- Any unsheltered area on the Steppes (to get the Jewel of Gold and such from the Klattaman raiders)
    -- Aliizi's Hut (to meet her and send her off to steal from Fenestra)
    -- Any unsheltered area along the shores of Lake Ilkala (to fight the Firefox for its fangs)

5. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    #445 Kaboobie, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    I'm certain I've been visited by the Fire Serpent on my first sleep in 2-3 locations, and I hadn't visited the beacon.

Is there anything you can get by this method (and get multiples of) that you can't get elsewhere? I wonder what happens if you already have all the items that it's possible to find there.

Also, I have seen this error replicated so many places that I'm not sure where it originated, but it's Nightshade soup, not Nightfin.

6. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    #446 Kamatari, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    The Snake-belly Key is the one that you get out of the Despair Snake that attacks you in your sleep before you restore the tower north of the bridge (before you visit that tower and unlock the door/trapdoor from the bottom, actually). I'm pretty sure the key is useless besides unlocking the door to that particular tower, but I thought I'd get it anyway.

So yeah, this has nothing to do with the Fire Serpent. Him I usually leave for the Forest.

...I imagine Aliizi will show up with some gold? I generally send her in to get me a Broadsword (since if you had one, you either lost it on the way to meeting Flanker or sold it in anticipation of the first possibility), as I'd get the Long Sword from the Klattaman blacksmith and the Borrinskin Boots from the elvin body in the swamp. And then if I'm lucky enough to encounter the second random marshland "treasure spot", I get 20 gold out of it.

Now that I think about it, however, I do believe that it behooves you to either use Aliizi or the first treasure spot to get your first Jewel of Gold. That way you can end Part 3 with 4 Jewels of Gold, since I believe the other three sources of the item can be depended on to always give you the item (unlike the thief buried in the field, whom you can't get a Pearl Ring from if you already own one).

Oops.

7. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I understand. What I was getting at is that sleeping north of the bridge doesn't always bring the despair snake on the first try. I have encountered the Fire Serpent first, which means I would need a second sleep to be visited by the despair snake.

Good thing I'm not a completionist; one of every non-consumable magic item is enough for me. ;)

8. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    IIRC the Fire Serpent only shows up on the eastern plains and near the Statue of Ca-oth (and maybe only if you examined its tracks...?). Since I remembered fighting him in those spots on an earlier playthrough, I learned to avoid them and only sleep in areas south of the Snake-Charmer's pit...

9. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I have encountered him at the western edge as well, IIRC just north of where you meet the Centaurs and south of the Snake-Charmer. If you head north from the bridge, it's the first place the game allows you to sleep.

10. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    I remain unconvinced on the merits of visiting Daddu-Ley. You miss out on quite a few useful items in Cantopi (granted, you can get them in the later games). The only benefit is hearing a riddle on how to avoid the Manticore.

I will be really, really, really surprised if visiting Daddu-Ley turns out to have been important in Sorcery 4.

11. supersx

supersx New Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I am trying to enter Fenestra's Hut (in a NBAS) and no luck. Have been trying for a couple of hours. Any hints?

12. Balyos

Balyos Member

May 17, 2015
    Since the TOP spell can be used in Sorcery 2, we can imagine it may be of some interest in part 4.

13. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    But to no discernible advantage. By the same logic, should you skip Cantanopi (spelling?), you also miss Glandragor's Axe (effects of which are felt in Sorcery 2).

14. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    #454 Kamatari, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    As with the Steppes Beacon, you have to time your entrance to the Hut right as the flag flickers from the winds of time. It's very tricky, but be patient, wait for your chance, and dash off when you see the wind start going for the flag. Always do this from the eastern side of the hut, because that's the only spot where you have a chance; trying to get in from the western side of the hut never works in an NBAS (at least not after the July patch, anyway). As with the Beacon, it's also much easier for you to get in the Hut if you start off from a location in the same time period, so make sure your starting point is By the Briar (OW) instead of In the Marsh (AW).

BTW, Fenestra's Hut and the Steppes Beacon are pretty much the only two places in the game where you can't stay there and mash rewind until the location changes time periods. Pretty much every other place (Snake-Charmer's Pit/Beacon worksite, Skull in the Field/Head in the Field, Time Serpent's Hangout/Standing Stones, etc.) capable of shifting time periods can be changed via constant Rewind-mashing. I believe this is because unlike those other spots, the Hut and the Steppes Beacon actually have an internal map if you access it in the right time period, and since the game loads internal maps with a special effect, you can't switch into that mode simply by chilling at the flag and jamming Rewind. :(

15. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    #455 Kamatari, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    I was shooting for a runthrough that had the highest total number of both items and gold (and free rations, so as to complete the "completionist" vibe), hence Daddu-Ley -- it helps me avoid Cantopani, where I pretty much can't help but buy those nifty items.

I also hadn't done a Daddu-Ley run before, so I wanted to see the subtle changes in the story for myself.

BTW, missing out on Glandragor's Axe didn't really affect my game much: I still got into the Waterfall for free (cast a spell at the guy guarding it), didn't want to meet Vik in the first place (going the ship route robs you of half your gold and ruins your water-damageable stuff, neither of which I wanted in this playthrough), and didn't affect my meeting with Vangorn either (you get more stuff by killing him anyway).

ETA: You also meet a very powerful and very mysterious sorceress at the bottom of the Daddu-Ley Cliffs. Methinks this is the kind of enigmatic character that could <i>totally</i> make a surprise reappearance in Part 4...;)

16. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    More NBAS.

Recently finished the "more optimized" version of the 5-day NBAS. Some thoughts below:

- Pebble count is now up to 17 (
    the stack of 3 in Shadrack's cave, plus 2 more you can get if you trigger the collapse of Throff's Temple while you're right under the roof
    )

- Decided to keep the duplicate spellbook this time (figured I'd lose my sketches while jumping from the Horns anyway, so why not burn those in the tunnels instead of the extra spellbook? HT: Analander)

- 3 Jewels of Gold (
    Treasure spot in the Marsh, then Klattaman Raiders, then Still-Sleeping Cat
    )

- Sold a tooth this time (
    then got it back by visiting the OW version of the tooth shop, where you can pocket your sold tooth after taking the 3 Snattacat Teeth
    )

- There is a bug in the game:
    if you visit the Tooth Shop while not carrying a Rock Demon Tooth, you can buy it for 32 gold, then sell your molar, then BUY ANOTHER ROCK DEMON TOOTH while talking with a lisp! However, while you'll be docked an extra 2 points of maximum stamina and everything, your inventory will show only one Crystal Tooth, and dropping it only restores 2 points of max stamina. In other words, by buying the Rock Demon Tooth a second time, you lose 2 points of max stamina that you can never get back [as well as 32 gold...]

- Picked up the Snake-belly Key this time

- Gold count is up to 182 (
    fought Black Elf raiders at the caravan, stole Kasheesh's purse, sold a molar, and even let Fenestra's Hut get destroyed by the Sun Serpent for 3 more gold... Didn't get any sets of 20 gold from the random treasure spots, though: I found that since the Brass Pendulum costs 24 gold to buy from the caravan, the most optimal way of using the four random treasure spots [Marsh/Marsh/Aliizi/In the Snow at Top of Horns] are Brass Pendulum + Jewel of Gold + Borrinskin Boots + Broadsword, in that order
    )

- Another bug:
    you can get a Honeycomb from the beehive on the island with the last beacon (the one with the Grimalkin), but even though it's in your inventory and can be eaten normally like any other ration, it doesn't add to the number of rations you have, as displayed in the top left corner of your screen. In fact, eating the Honeycomb will actually decrease your ration count and create bad math -- by the end of the game, I carried 4 rations (joints of meat), and eating only the Honeycomb changed my ration count number to 3, though none of the meat was even touched!

- Is it just me, or did Inkle pump up the strength of some creatures with its July patch?
    I don't remember the wolfhound from the Steppes Beacon packing 16 points of stamina before... :( Part 3 must be fairly challenging to play now, since the Potion of Mystery glitch has been patched up and everything...

17. Dolmari

Dolmari Member

Jul 27, 2015
    #457 Dolmari, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Anyone wants to talk about mysterious settings in the game?
    For me the most thrilling part is the plot#
    hope someone to share his/her ideas
    1, what's the Crown excatly?
    The characters in the story seem not to like it
    (Fortune teller in S2, Sham and other two sorcerers in S3 etc) It looks like the Crown has both physical and mental control power-Shivna the lord in the tomb said it could change the landscape,others claimed that it can control people's minds without notice. If you cast FAR in the cliff hole in S3,you can see the mystic woman(three eyes lady) trying to against some power controlling her#probably the Crown
    And why Does Archmage Want this? He has magic!
    2, daddu-ley !!!!!
    Why there is a mysterious cave in the beginning of the whole game?This really confused me!You can get nothing but a useless spell TOP to go back.However in S2 lord Lorag the scholar said that daddu ley had the ealiet spell recorded in the cave.Most of you insist daddu ley will play a important part in S4,but how?
    3,beacons beacons beacons and time traveling
    At the end of S3, a man from the Fortresses (probably form past) told us the beacons were destroying the whole land. He said he heard this from Birdsmen in the Fortress.But Wait!!! If he was from the past,and stealing the Crown is in the present, how could he possibly know there is an Analander? From the game we can learn that people in the past can't go to the present! Is the time in the whole land just twisted or the Fortress has some sort of time magic?
    4,the first Analander
    In S1,Sightmaster told us there was another Analander sent by the King before us.He worried the first was" transformed ".At first I thought the lion monster(ultimate boss) in S1 is the first.But in S3 we can learn the first sold the bracelet of bones to a jerk for food ,even her spell book to the Black Elf. Is she going to show in S4 as a friend ?Or an enemy?
    An adventure game is slowly turning to a suspenseful game isn't it?

18. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #458 Kaboobie, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    I personally don't believe Daddu-Ley will be important. At best the TOP spell might be an option for a task, as it is in S2, but not the only solution.

Remember that inkle needs to make each of these games stand alone, to attract new customers without requiring they spend the money and time to complete previous games. Playing all the games will give you some advantages (e.g. learning about Vik in S1, gaining a serpent ring in S2), but those advantages will never be the sole way to get past an obstacle.

Bria the Sorceress tells you the Archmage sees into the future, and has forseen you coming to destroy him. (If you resurrect her in the present her corpse reveals that it is she who was the Archmage's farseer, and that her prophecy made him so angry he killed her.) Shadrack hints at this too in some dialogue options. So, in the past the Archmage starts spreading the story that the Analander is evil and is responsible for destroying the land (which, if you use the beacons, you actually are contributing to).

Since I play as a female character, I am curious: if you play as male, do the illusionist and the trader still refer to a female traveler doing these things? Also, if you have stopped to eat after defeating/dismissing the Baddu Beetle, do you see a vision of a male or female?

19. Analander

Aug 24, 2014
    I think it's just the place from where magic originated, and if I recall correctly, Lorag alludes the discovery of the ZED spell in the caves.

My understanding
    1) You are in the ruined present
    2) You use beacons to visit the past
    3) When you turn the beacons away, the existing cities (in the past) appear to vanish
    4) Word gets around that you are responsible, and hence the Birdmen panic.

Now here's where it can get interesting..maybe the Archmage got to know about what you are doing, and the only reason he wants to stop you is to protect his land

Wasn't it supposed to be the guy you met just after Cantanopi? The one who hands you Gaza Moon's spell page?

Yes, the reference is made to the female traveller. But I don't recall the Baddu Beetle bit. What is it exactly?

And the Bria corpse bit makes no sense to me. When you meet her, she tells you that she has already made the prophecy and the Archmage knows about it. Why would he go through the trouble of tracking her down and killing her?

What intrigues me most at this point is the relation between you and the Archmage. Are you the archmage? Is he your son? How is he (and you) connected to the pregnant woman that Ca-Oth asks to kill, whom you also meet in Kariamma by the fire.

20. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #460 Kaboobie, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    On your second visit to one of several locations in the northwest quadrant, the ground will fall away and you will be (seemingly) attacked by a Baddu Beetle. If you cast RAP, you can resolve this encounter peacefully. If you then stop to eat at this location, the ground will open again, and you will have a vision of a sorceress (probably a sorcerer if you're male) who has your face.

It was my theory that the woman the trader and the illusionist describe, and the woman you see, IS you, but in a different timeline. But if the gender isn't consistent with the character you are playing, I guess not.