Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    I don't suppose it makes any difference, but when you first enter, do you break the door down or use DOP? I always break the door down.

Here are some screenshots showing how I direct the beam.

Attached Files:

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Thanks for the shots... I haven't been able to amke it owrk yet, but I noticed that the winds of time seem to be different when I try to get back to the tower and that they change depending on how the beam is placed... I'll keep trying and keep you posted.

Unless someone else has a better idea?

PS: I was always using DOP but breaking the door didn't change anything.

3. space20021

space20021 New Member

Jun 27, 2015
    #423 space20021, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    I think the key point is that, the beam from the tower does shine on its own entrance.
    Plus, the beacon---entrance---stonehenge are located on the same line, so if you want to shine on the stonehenge you will inevitably shine on the tower entrance also.

My solution: While atop the Steppes beacon, first teleport to the Snatta forest beacon and direct it either on or off the Steppes beacon (depending on your situation), and then teleport back to Steppes beacon to shine it on the stonehenge.

4. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    #424 Kamatari, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    NBAS Notes

I, too, just finished an NBAS game in 5 days by using the speed trick. I found that the best way to do that is to essentially tap both your character and the target flag at once. The game will fail to pick up on the input quite a lot, but when it does, you rarely fail to pull off the trick.

There's also another interesting trick/glitch I found while going through the land thoroughly during the 5-day journey:

In a NBAS, the Ruins of Tinpang are always affected by the Winds of Time (since it's so close to the top edge of the map), so you would normally be unable to visit the Still-Sleeping Cat. When you enter the city, however, you'll notice that the flag for exploring the Ruined City will show up and then quickly disappear. If you draw a line quickly enough before the flag disappears and the text bubble pops up and blocks your view, you can enter the Ruins version of Tinpang. Both the ruins of the Tooth Shop, where you get 3 Snattacat Teeth (Upper Ruins flag), and the Still-Sleeping Cat (Lower Ruins flag) can be visited this way (by drawing a line quickly to a disappearing flag), though the sleeping priest cannot, as far as I can tell.

I also did quite a lot of trying, but it seems that it's impossible to collect the Jewel of Gold and the Beard from the priest-on-a-pole's remains in a NBAS. The place that leads to the tree is just too close to the top edge of the map, and is therefore always marshland when I visit it (it needs to be in the Present for you to gain the chance to go to the tree).

Oh, and I recall from the Sorcery! 4 book that the woman from the Locket is the best bribe for the Guard Captain who has the key for the third of the four Throben Doors (it's a picture of the woman he loves) that lead to the Archmage. I know that Inkle has changed a lot of stuff, so who knows if this is still valid, but a lot of people do seem to be wondering about the use for that Locket...

Stats at the end of my NBAS:

Stamina - 29/31 (carrying a Crystal Tooth)
    Gold - 142
    Rations - 4 (4 joints of meat, plus 2 raw fish)
    God - Yb'ran

Magical Items:
    Crystal Tooth
    10 quantities of Beeswax
    Cloth Skullcap
    8 quantities of Sand
    Vial of Glue
    Nose Plugs
    12 Pebbles
    4 Doses of Blimberry Potion
    Bamboo Flute
    10 Goblin Teeth
    2 Giants' Teeth
    Black Facemask
    Green-Haired Wig
    Bracelet of Bone
    20 Sun Jewels (did a lot of fAL on the prison wall in part 2...)
    Gold-Backed Mirror
    Orb of Crystal
    3 measures of Holy Water
    Ring of Green Metal
    2 Pearl Rings (head in field + Oolooh)
    Jewel-Studded Medallion
    Brass Pendulum
    Staff of Oak Sapling
    Galehorn
    3 vials of Yellow Powder (if you don't impersonate the Overseer in Tinpang, the boy forces you to stay outside the factory but gives you 2 vials of Yellow Powder instead of 1)
    2 handfuls of Stone Dust
    2 Jewels of Gold (Klattamen bandits + Still-Sleeping Cat)

Other Items:
    Whistle
    Flask of Oil
    Monarch Oil
    Human Skull
    Purple Leaves
    A Set of Dice
    Studded Collar
    Compass
    3 vials of Snake-Bite Antidote
    Burnt Wooden Mask
    Tinderbox
    Fire of Danger
    Two Halves of a Note
    Potion of Mystery
    Rope Ladder
    Walking Cane
    3 Firefox Fangs
    2 Bottles of Bark Essence
    Poison
    Borrinskin Boots
    3 Apes' Teeth
    9 Snattacats' Teeth

Weapons:

Sword (-2)
    Broadsword (+1)
    Long Sword (+2)
    Armband (+1)
    Chainmail Shirt (+2)
    Legendary Sword (+4)
    Assassin's Sword (+4)
    Bow and Silver Arrows
    Silver Sword (-3)
    Hefty Arrow
    Hewing Axe
    Chakram
    Silver Chain
    Chainmail Gauntlet (+1)

Treasure: Gold Goblet (from Courga's Temple), Badge of the Seventh Noble, Serpent Ring, Fistful of Gems
    Keys: Kharé Gate Key, Copper Key, Rusty Key
    Counterspells: dIm-KID, ZAP-ZEN, gOD-NAp, fIX-HOW, HUF-NIF, gAK-SUS, FOF-mUD, dOC-HOT, DUm-JIG, RAZ-WOK

5. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    How, how, how do you get this?

6. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    A flag opens up on the side wall after you enter Courga's Temple and kill the Temple Snake (people sometimes miss this because they don't bother to look in that direction). Going to the flag allows you to steal one of two things; one is the Gold Goblet, the other is a Fistful of Gems exactly like the one you dig out of the well in Throff's Temple in Part 3. If you steal either of the items, statues come to life and trap you, and you can escape either by returning the item or squeezing yourself free (without losing the item you stole). Not returning the item means you must escape Courga's Temple, however, and makes it impossible for you to convert to him, which is why I went for Yb'ran in Part 3.

By the way, giving gold to the Gargoyle lower down on the ziggurat has no effect on stealing from Courga. If you give it a gold piece, you still have to escape if you steal either the Goblet or the Gems, and if you don't, you can still steal.

7. Eshlie

Eshlie New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    #427 Eshlie, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    I have a few questions about the Sourcery series, and I would be VERY greatful! I've numbered my questions, to make replying to them easier. :3

1. How can you POSSIBLY get 31 stamina?! I've been able to get 26 stamina, but some people on this thread say they have 31?! Can someone please make a list of every way in Sorcery you can increase your stamina? :)

2. Could anyone actually get a video of (or a clearer guide on) how to do the NBAS run? I'm finding its impossible to get into the southern tower, the time winds never come far north. :/

3. Does anyone know if Inkle have any plans on making more games like Sourcery 3? The open world formula really appeals to me and I've spent atleast 50 hours on this game.

4. Does anyone know if its important or not to actually achieve a NBAS run? I'm really worried that if I don't get it that I'll miss out on an alternate ending in Sorcery 4. :(

8. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    A) Don't rewind via Lorag's powers in Kharé. You'll have 20 stamina at the end of Part 2.
    B) Carry over the illegible scroll from the Flayer's Hut in Part 2. As Lorag tells you when you visit him in his mansion, this is a recipe for soup. In Part 3, you meet the original creator of the soup in Kariamma; return the scroll to her and she'll give you some soup if you stay in the village overnight that night. This increases stamina by 1.
    C) Visit the cliff face to the west of Kariamma while it's in the Past (via either beacon or time winds). You'll meet a woman who tells you about the god Ca-oth. If you pray to Ca-oth with her, the god will urge you to kill her. If you make an attempt to do just that, you will fail. You MUST then rewind the game at that spot, whereupon the woman fails to reappear, but Ca-oth speaks to you anyway. He rewards you with a +1 stamina increase if you tell him that he's a lying god. Note that you have no way of getting this stamina increase back if you rewind past this point later on (Ca-oth being a god that apparently lives outside of time and isn't affected by rewinding game decisions).
    D) Visit the Klattaman village, mingle with the villagers, and you'll get roped into fighting their champion. Win and the village shaman will anoint you, resulting in a +1 stamina increase.
    E) Travel to the Forests of Snatta through the Kariamma tunnel. Near the end of the tunnel, there's a yellow feather lying on the ground. Take it with you. When you get to the ancient stone shrine near the Steppes beacon (in the Past), visit it once at night to learn the TUF spell, then use the feather to cast the spell the second time you visit the shrine (also in the Past). This gains you a +4 stamina increase.
    F) Travel north to a point just south of the broken bridge in the Snatta Forest, on the left side of the fork. You can Forage here, and one of the options is a yellow canary feather from a nest in a tree. Take this feather with you and return to the stone shrine. Cast TUF for 4 more points of stamina. That will take you up to 31.

Be patient. Sometimes when the tower switches to Past mode, the time winds aren't even covering it. What I do is keep drawing a line to the tower until the game decides to let me in. Note that unlike some other locations, you can't just keep rewinding the Steppes Tower location itself, get lucky, and see it change from Present to Past. You have to travel there from another location to see the difference. Fenestra's Hut is another location where this applies (and is also hard to get in for a lot of people :().

No one knows the exact answer to this question, because no one knows what Inkle's planning, but in the original game books, having let the serpents report to Mampang makes it harder for you to slip through the Throben Doors at the Archmage's stronghold, because the guardians of the Doors know to expect the coming of the Analander. The significance of the "NB" part of the NBAS no one knows, because the beacons and the beacon/time mechanism were never in the original game books...

9. Eshlie

Eshlie New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    This is a question for Sourcery 2, but I hope you don't mind me asking it here:

If the chainmail gauntlets give you +1 attack, then is it possible to get both the chainmail gauntlets and the flayers scroll on the same run though (without time traveling from Lorag)

10. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #430 Kaboobie, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Yes, it is possible. (By the way, there is a Sorcery 2 thread here that still gets some traffic.)

If you go through the Festival and then to the Flayer's hut, you can go back down the main road to the original crossroads, then head left to reach Dwarftown.

Attached Files:

11. Eshlie

Eshlie New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Thank you so much Kaboobie! Extremely helpful! :)

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    You send brilliant features back into your old game and now I send you my $$$ to your new game! Keep it up!

13. Etherbreather

Etherbreather Active Member

Jul 9, 2015
    Regarding nbas

Slightly frustrated...

I have been drawing lines from the plains to the mountains for about two hours now, and that ... tower never seems to shift. Even the few times I have heard the "time song" I didnt get the AW tower map.

The time is early morning. Am I doing something wrong?

Regards.

14. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Regarding nbas

Im still stuck...

Im starting from "the open steppes" and drawing a line to "the mountains" (tower). Should I be standing on the "low mound" when going to the tower?

I moved to the open steppes because I didn't want to have to kill the Time Sepent over and over again whenever I rewound...

15. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I have succeeded in getting into the tower from the open steppes. But it takes an immense amount of patience. I have completed a couple of NBAS runs but I can't seem to get it to work anymore myself.

16. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Is anyone still able to do the nbas run?

17. Kamatari

Kamatari Member

Jul 2, 2015
    I'm not having too much of a problem pulling it off. I generally start from the Mounds, well after dispatching TS and well after casting the two TUF spells (I use the instant travel trick everywhere, so time is not an issue). From the Mounds (in Past mode courtesy of time winds), I watch and wait until the time winds sweep over the Tower and its flag flickers. If you run over to the beacon 5 to 10 seconds or so after that, you have a decent success rate (and even if you don't succeed, after you rewind back to the Mounds, you'll sometimes succeed if you immediately run over to the beacon, regardless of where the time winds are at).

18. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Thanks :) I deleted my apps and started over just in case :D

19. Etherbreather

Jul 9, 2015
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kamatari!! Worked first time I tried it.

So the solution is: Rewind to mounds when in the past (AW), then wait there for the tower flag to flicker. Then move to the tower.

20. LRockL

LRockL Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Rip freeze ...

I suffered the same fate as the guy buried up to his neck ... Put there by the good citizens of Kariamma for haggling, of all petty offenses. Now, I'm dead & the screen is frozen basically. I can hit the tombstone reset & it brings up the main "rewind console," but when I go to drag my finger to the left, the whole landscape moves. I do have a version of the game saved In the cloud, but how to get the code, if the game is frozen?

Thx!