Universal Sorcery 3 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Has anyone interacted much with the potion maker, or examined the game files to discover everything that's possible to do? Can anything useful be gained from her? I visited her on a recent playthrough, and the potion I drank worked like a PHAR spell, giving me the vision about resurrecting Bria.

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Since this is the most Sorcery! active thread, i want to ask the opinion of my fellow TArcaders :

I loved To be Or Not to Be immensely, but i found Heavy Metal Thunder too difficult to pass even some pages after the beginning. Both are gamebooks, so.. would i enjoy the Sorcery! series? and the 80 days along with the inkle bundle?

3. Grnmachine

Grnmachine New Member

Aug 19, 2014
    #403 Grnmachine, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Hey! Im kinda new, but ive played all three S! games so far, and i'd like to share my perfect run through all three games.

S!1:

I'm only doing the essentials, btw.

I start off by taking all the gold from the sightmaster, buying 4 rations, and getting my spellbook. I then set off to the first village, but the bag of teeth, the bamboo pipe, and the axe (Haggled for 5). Using the JIG spell to get rid of the muggers, i go to the crossroad trees. Helping the man down, he gives me the spellbook page, and i head up into the tree to get the honeycomb and beeswax (DOZ spell works best). I sleep at the edge of the forest, eating the honeycomb, killing the bat.

I head into the goblin mine in day 2, and i head to the right. Killing the giant/ogre after the stupidity spell (dIm, i believe) i gather the two emeralds. Heading the other way in the mine, i kill the leader and get the key (Even though i know i wont ever use it i still took it) and head further in. Using fAL to avoid fall damage, i get the borriskin boots. Encountering the skunkbear, i edge around to the left. In the next village, i go to the tavern and talk to the old man. He covers my ale, and i get a bomba fruit. I eat it while sleeping on the outskirts of the city, and kill the pig thing.

Day 3, i go to the witch's, rescue her with the axe head, and ask her for magic mastery. Taking the gold she offers, i leave. In this village, i buy the cloth skullcap, the sword, and i ask the guy if there's work to be had. I take up the following offer, using the BIG spell to get it done quickly. Eating the food he offers, i take my pay and sleep.

Day 4, i avoid the plague village and the bridge. Gathering some pebbles in the valley, i steal the gold from the troll's house and run. (*squeak* Whats this? Dang it, Jann! Get lost!) Anyway, next village, i head into the tavern, show glandragor the axe, and i visit the waterfall. I sleep there and kill the wolf.

Day 5, i go through the forest, and kill the assassin, and take the gold. I then visit the witch, and return her spell page from day 1. (Good riddance, Jann!) Into the Svinn village, i talk to the residents, get kidnapped, and i sleep without eating.

Day 6, i take up the offer to save the girl (after a meager breakfast). Anyway, i kill it with the DOZ spell and some swordplay. Going back to the village, im payed, i trade my emeralds, i get healed, and i leave for Khare.

S!2:

Once again, only the essentials.

I DONT fight the beggar guy, and invite him to walk with me. He gives me the watchword, and we get in. I spend the night in the prison thing, learning Swindelstones from the guy, and i stay awake. Next day, i obtain the facemask from the elf on the cliff. (I watch the cliff, he falls off of it, dead. Search the body.) Heading further in, i obtain 4 blimberry potions, and i head off to the fair/festival. I obtain the green wig, dance with the performers, win a bet on the fight, and win the fight myself. I then head to the flayer's house, and get his scroll, gold, mirror, and i eat (Stupidity spell). Getting the bracelet of bone from the hut, i also get gold. I then let the mantis man attack me on purpose so i can access the KIN spell, and then retrieve the sun jewel from the dead body. Heading into the market, i get the portraits of the nobles (Learning Vik for first noble as well) and steal the firemaster's gold (MAG works), and then buy a fire of danger. Not wasting any time, i head along the cliff-path, get the monk to heal me, steal the gold from the fish-pool, and kill Vangorn, taking all his stuff (JIG works if you run into the spider by accident) I head then into the Shrine of Slangg, convert, and learn the spell line from the priest. I then sleep on the shore.

Day 8, i believe? I wait for the man to lower the bridge then cross. Avoiding the red-eyes, i buy the legendary sword, talk to Lorag and get a spell line (As well as learn of AFE), then exit. Now, the gambling hall! (Very long, but if you can clean it out, very much worth it.) I sell the legendary sword for 60 gold, buy the bow and arrows, the antidote, tinderbox, and 6 rations. Heading straight into the cemetery, i kill the wraith with the arrows, and learn the spell line from the dead guy whose name escapes me, as well as the couplet about the baklands. I then head to Courga's temple, and go to the top first. I forget which one, but i cast the spell that makes sparks appear, and i get a second sun jewel (IMPORTANT FOR S!3). I then head into Courga's temple, kill the snake, complete the ritual, and ask 3 questions. What is the spell line, What will my fate hold in the baklands, and one other, i forget which. (I dont think it matters much, but i may be mistaken.) I convert to his worship, and am healed. I then head out, avoiding the man using Vik for first noble, and go to the north gate. I dont interfere with the goblins, and i head back in time via Lorag.

Back to day 7, im at the crossroads. I head up to dwarftown, ignoring the noble's house. I bet on the fight, and make my bet win with magic. I then buy the chain gauntlets, the potion of mystery (Drink it immedietly), the sand, and the beeswax (I may be forgetting something.). I then head into the market, and steal the firemaster's stuff again. Then , same as before, monk, fish pool, kill vangorn, but i head back down to the guy who offers me a job. I do so, head to the bath house, go swimming first, then the steam room. I stay silent. Returning, i take my pay, and sleep along the shore again.

Day 8 (10? Time travel, man.), I wait for the bridge to be lowered. Pretty much same as before, only i dont sell the legendary sword, i keep it. And i dont visit Lorag. I buy the arrows, the antidote, and 6 more rations after the gambling halls. I then head into the ruined quarter. Avoiding the gnome hole, i talk to the blinded noble, killing the harpies. I give him a ration in exchange for the serpent ring, and learn most of the line. I then cross the fence, avoid the wraith by running, and visit courga again. At the top, i cast TAR, and then ask courga questions. Who is the god of pride, what will my fate hold in the baklands, and another, i dont think it matters which. "Vik for first noble!" Going through the gate with the spell line, i destroy the goblins, and continue into the baklands.

The end was something like, 19 stamina, 234 gold, and ~16 rations (depending how often you ate).

Wow, im tired from that. And considering my S!3 run through is usually 2-3 WEEKS of in game time (All serpents btw), i think i'll continue later. Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms?

Oh, i forgot a few things. I'll edit them in.

I stole from the statue both times in S!2, and before the time travel part, i visited the well before the necropolis, and stole the person's giant tooth with DUD.

4. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    So what are everyone's thoughts on Sorcery 4's story?

You are the archmage's father/ son
    You are the archmage, being sent back after the ZED spell
    The archmage stole the crown because he foresaw you creating a bigger mess had you gotten your hands on it

5. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I haven't been able to get the fast travel glitch to work consistently. I've been able to use it occasionally to speed up my game a little bit. I now have a 5-day run with all magical items to add to my 7-day no beacons and 8-day max stamina runs. That should give me enough options to start on Sorcery 4.

Now I want my life back! :eek:

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    could someone please advise me on buying the sorceries! ? are they more on the hard difficulty (imo) of Heavy Metal Thunder, or more on the enjoyable interactive novel part of To Be or Not to Be?

7. flamewing

flamewing Member

Jun 17, 2015
    I have been able to consistently use a variant of it to travel with only one coin between (almost) any two places. The variant I use is this: with my left thumb I tap very quickly on where the character is, and nearly at the same time but slightly after, I press and hold with my right thumb on the destination. One of tho things happen: either I end up with a single coin at the base of the destination flag, or a line of coins is drawn from source to target. In the latter case, I move the right thumb away from the flag until no destination is selected and retry. Using this, I need to try 2-3 times to get one coin in most places, but very short and very long distances can take up to 10-15 tries.

Some locations that are very close together can be done with a single tap that overlaps source and destination; other very close locations work better with the fast swipe than with my two thumbs method.

8. th0m

th0m New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    NBAS question

Hiya,

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but trying to do the no beacons run through and am stuck at a point.

I can't seem to arrive at the steppes beacon during the right time, and keep getting turned away. Is there a secret? Just keep getting the door closed dialogue.

Thanks in advance!

9. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #409 Kaboobie, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    I haven't gotten this to work at all. At best it asks me if I want to rewind to the current location, otherwise nothing happens.

I'm glad you found a method that works for you, though. :)

10. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    First, you must not meet Shadrack, otherwise the time winds will not be strong enough. Then it's just a matter of trial and error, waiting at the adjacent location until the time winds pass over the Steppes tower (usually sweeping just the southernmost point), and rewinding if you don't make it. I've read that the time winds come more often during the night than the day.

11. flamewing

flamewing Member

Jun 17, 2015
    This actually means you almost got it — you managed to confuse the game enough to think you were at the wrong endpoint. You can try wiggling the thumb under the flag a bit to prevent the rewind option from popping up and it should do the trick.

12. th0m

th0m New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Hiya, and thanks. I've been trying that, but no luck so far.

When it says "don't meet Shamrock", does that mean just don't say his name, or don't go into the cave? Because I did not ever meet him, but I did go into the cave and read the walls (I think). The first region remains dry, and Bria's hut isn't there. I suppose all I can do is keep trying, but the winds never seem to get close enough, and I just get the prompt to rest at night.

13. Breadhead

Breadhead Member

May 22, 2015
    Thanks flamewing, I've managed to get this to work and it works very nicely. I find a double tap kind of movement works best for me. Tap the player icon with one thumb and then quickly tap the flag with the other. It can be a bit tricky hitting the flag but I got it to work fairly consistently. It is a massive cheat but I got a five day run getting all magic items and stamina boosts, all serpents, meeting flanker, pretty much everything there is to do. Nicely done finding that one out

14. flamewing

flamewing Member

Jun 17, 2015
    It just requires a lot of patience. In my experience, staying on the circle of stones and waiting until the winds of time cover both the circle of stones and the beacon works slightly more consistently. I even had some success waiting for it to cover the circle of stones and not the beacon.

15. Cowdog

Cowdog Member

May 19, 2015
    #415 Cowdog, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    My Perfect Run

I've completed what for me is the perfect run through the three games. I did not use any exploits or the speed up trick, but killed all seven serpents without using the beacons and getting all items I think you can possibly get in eight days (including
    both the locket and borrinskin boots, and all weapons [legendary, longsword, broadsword, and assassin's blade]
    ). Here is my complete game image:

[​IMG]

Here is what I consider the perfect runs through each game:

Game 1
    - Daddy Lay
    - Locket
    - Wristband
    - Don't buy longsword (need to have only legendary when you climb column in Sorcery 3)
    - Three pebbles
    - Save plague village
    - Flanker

Game 2
    - Getting all items* ([in this order]: BFM, glue, Chain, Wig, GBM, pebbles, Chainmail gloves, sand, nose plugs, fire, pipe, sand x2, bracelet, essense, poison, pebbles from slime, essense x2, sun jewel, legendary sword, bow, tenderbox, antidote, sun jewel x2, compass, goblin teeth, beeswax, reobtain BFM)
    - Slave revolution and creation of pirate ship
    - All spell lines and order
    - Beheading Sansa
    - Absolutely no rewinding

Game 3
    - Getting all items* ([in this order] giant's tooth, arrow, sun jewel x3, holy water, sand x3, pebbles, feather, parchment, goblin teeth, snattacat's teeth, lose legendary, medallion, longsword, pebbles and gems, green ring, rope ladder, ZOB spell, pendalum, pearl ring, axe, chainmail, holy water x2, antidotes, powder, chakra, crystal orb, staff, jewel of gold, beard, borrinskin boots, regain legendary, holy water x3, feather x2, sand x4, broadsword, sand x5, charred fish, firefox teeth, charred pig, jewel of gold x2, snattacatt's teeth, powder x2, buy rock demon tooth)
    - No beacons
    - All seven serpents (though I have two saves that keep sun serpent)
    - Keep spirit guide as Gorilla (though I have two saves as Y'Bran)
    - Learn all Sorcery 4 hints
    - Comfort Sightmaster
    - 30 health or 28 with tooth (I don't have scroll, because i jump in water during ship revolt)
    - Absolutely no time or other exploits
    - Eight days

* My item numbers are not perfect.

I have four saves, all eight days with no beacons:
    (1) all seven and spirit, (2) all seven and Y'Bran, (3) keep sun and spirit, and (4) keep sun and Y'Bran.

My conclusion: you only have to sacrifice counterspells in a NBAS game. You can get everything else in eight days.

16. Cowdog

Cowdog Member

May 19, 2015
    I haven't noticed that. Every NBAS run I've done has gone up that tower in the daylight.

17. th0m

th0m New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Cheers - I'm beginning to wonder if by just going into the cave I messed up. Ah well.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Steppes tower

No matter how often I try, I'm always locked out of the steppes tower after learning the TUF spell... There must be something I'm doing wrong but I can't find it. The only difference is that I stop by the old tree to get the rope ladder. I even tried without going there but no difference... Any suggestions?

19. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I've played through several times since and still never had this issue. I'll try to take a screenshot soon of exactly how I position the beam.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Thanks... I've noticed that I'm sometimes locked on the top depending on how I place the beam. But no matter how I place it I can never get back in after learning the TUF spell