Universal Sorcery! 2 - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hi Inkle. Thanks for being here to support the game on TA. I want to purchase the game. Is it too forward to ask in a future update that you give us the option to remove the status bar in game? Thanks in advance for the reply!

2. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    #82 BeefJerky, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Is that the one in Necropolis? Looking for
    Shinva?
    If that's where you are, I got through that using
    fire bought from the fire seller in the market and in a different play thought used a tinderbox I got from somewhere that I think was around the little market on the north side near that statue (though couldn't find it again, unfortunately). You need light to navigate and then you'll need something else too, which you may already have...

I finally managed to finish with all the spell lines yesterday and, man, that was seriously tough. Way harder than the first one and, even now, I have no idea if there was a route that would have led me to finish with more goodies. I definitely know there are a few things I have missed and I did have to
    travel back in time once, meaning I'm a stamina point down.

Intrigued by the fish because in all my plays, I never had the item I needed for the relevant spell there. Going to have to go for more plays, I think.

It's a fantastic game and Inkle did a wonderful job. Like waiting for this one, it's going to be a seriously tough wait for the next one - April is a long way away. Really looking forward to it.

Very curious about the changes Inkle made to this one because some things didn't quite fit with my memory of the original book. That was true with one part of Hills too (the early part by the cliffs) but I was putting that down to failing memory. I may have to dig out the books to compare though. The ending here is different to how I remember it and there is a plot point running through it I didn't remember at all, as well as one part I wandered around for ages waiting for a meeting to take place that didn't! Nothing seemed wrong and I don't see any changes as a bad thing in any way in terms of needing to adapt the books - these are without a doubt the best gamebook adaptations so Inkle is doing it right. Just really curious about what exactly Inkle added or altered and the thought process to that. From a creation/development/adaptation point of view, I'd love Inkle to do a post on that. Of course, I could end up pulling out the books and realise they are identical and it was just my memory...

Awesome work, Inkle.

Edit: oh, one other thought. Some have said the Tweet button gets the way. I don't mind it at all but it seems much more prevalent than in the first one and that may be reducing its value because it doesn't feel like it's just popping up at real achievements. But oddly there isn't one at the end of the game, the one point I would have been tempted to tweet my success!

3. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

That very update it sitting Apple's review queue as week speak (and has been since Monday...) Enjoy the game!

4. Vynticator

Vynticator Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Impossible to complete in one play through?

I love this game, loved the first too! Thanks to inkle for revitalizing the books in such an amazing format and adding so much atmosphere and new material seamlessly.

Stuck on trying to finish the game with one playthrough. (Been through it six times) is there a way to get the whole of the
    first line (semi digested...) without returning in time? Someone suggests you can turn right at the blimberry juice, rest to eat, get the first half, then turn back, but I don't see this option to go back and take the middle path to the animated corpse.
    Is it possible?

Many thanks for any more specific guidance,

5. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    There may be a way to get both halves but, if I'm right, this is
    the same line that you can get in its entirety from the Temple of Slangg. Let me know if you need more guidance on that.

6. SpeedWeed

SpeedWeed Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    still cannot find a way to beat the werewolves and take out the goblin army :(

7. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you!

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The update for Sorcery! is live now, and with the removal of the iOS status bar it addresses every one of the few remaining complaints I had about the game.

To head off any potential confusion, I should note that the switches to disable Twitter and the iOS status bar are actually located under iOS Settings, rather than in the game itself.

9. Vynticator

Vynticator Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Completed!

I finally managed to complete the game in one playthrough. I must be the most useless Khare player ever, but I am enjoying it hugely. 7 playthroughs, just barely limped into part three with no money and no food.

Got to go play again and do better next time!

10. Stephanius

Stephanius Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Great job

A great pleasure. By far the best experience in gamebooks. Thanks Inkle :) Can't wait for the number3... the best of the serie ;)

11. Vynticator

Vynticator Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Combat bonuses not stacking correctly?

Not 100% sure on this, but if an Inkle dev could confirm whether the combat bonuses from items are stacking correctly?

It seems like the
    ]armband +1 (from part 1) and longsword +2 (also from part 1)
    maybe aren't stacking? And I'm pretty sure the
    armband +1 and the legendary sword +4 (from the blacksmith in Khare)
    aren't stacking either.

I'm not sure the properties of the
    gauntlets you can buy in the dwarven quarter
    , if they stack with the items listed above, and if they should do so. I don't see why they wouldn't!

Thanks in advance if you could check these items bonuses are working in fights in game.

12. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey there -

Yeah, we're pretty sure that's all working correctly, in all the cases you mentioned.

Note that the game always wields the best sword you have by default (so changing from long sword to legendary sword won't put you up by 4, but only by 2); and you might have lost some Attack Power points from other mishaps, injuries and curses along the way. (Praying to Slangg, for instance.)

13. TNH86

TNH86 Member

Nov 6, 2012
    This game is awesome. Been playing here and there since release and I've already sank over 10 hours+ on the game and I still haven't explored the whole map. Ive already finished a couple runs including doing a complete spell-lines run in 1 go but you miss out on some magical items. I've also found gold and rations to be useless if you play swindlestones so I just use them freely.

It seems that to get everything you'll have to
    rewind time atleast twice since there are 3 unknown couraga spells(TAR, LUK, and PUR). I've also haven't found a way to get to the Gardens of Briar, answer the impossible question and how survive the tall grass over the fence. Has someone found a way to repair the broken ring/crystal ball outside Lorag's house?

Theres also a bug I've found. It's when you're playing swindlestones with the gambling priest and he mentions the Bakland's god(Thromm?) and it'd crash when I would call him(There was no text?). Tried it twice and it kept doing it.

14. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Does anyone if there is a way of finding the order without
    going down into the sewers or having to go back in time?
    Trying for a good single play route.

15. TNH86

TNH86 Member

Nov 6, 2012
    #95 TNH86, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    You have to go in the sewers i've found. There's 2 ways to get there though. It's in the well at the 4 way fork near the docks. You can also access that well through the portal trap in the council chamber(probably best way to go through since its farther in the game). You can talk to Flanker at Wayfarer's Rest to show you where it is which is probably the best last thing to do on the left side of the map.

16. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe New Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 20, 2013
    I'd never even realised you could find the order
    in the sewers
    (I guess I'll have to go and re-explore). I just
    asked Courga

EDIT: We're talking about the order of the lines, right?

17. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Yep, that's what we're talking about and yes there is a clue in the sewers not far from where you end up when you get there via the route TNH86 posted. Hoping to avoid the sewers, I too
    went back and asked Courga
    but was hoping there was another way.

18. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe New Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 20, 2013
    #98 Kurufinwe, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Oh, you can't
    ask Courga
    the first time around? I didn't know that.

(If I remember correctly, I couldn't on my first time around because I only had one line, but I thought you'd be able to if you already have all the lines.)

19. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I loved the part 1, but It was frustrating as well because it's too short. I don't like to pay 5 dolars in a game I finish in a single afternoon.

20. Vynticator

Vynticator Member

Nov 16, 2013
    For the werewolves, you'll need to convince them you're a friend... Try
    listening to the bridge keeper in khare.

The goblins are easier to deal with after you
    have the four lines...