Universal Sorcery! 2 - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Go right ahead. Each book was self contained but allowed you to play through as a series too...

2. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Sorcery is a BLAST. I'm a real gamebook collector and one of my all time favorite saga was the Sorcery series. What Inkle has done to the book is truly wonderful, I just love replaying the books in this new digital format.

I hope you get tons of money, so after finishing Sorcery you can look at other sagas. I strongly suggest Joe Dever's Freeway Warrior quadrology or the Grey Star series. :)

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm not sure this post belongs really here, because I bought the second chapter but I have YET to play it but....the buzz about this second installment reminded me I had yet to pick up the first one, so I did it (was too busy back in the day).

WOAH.
    I'm at Kharè entrance (first chapter) and I have already a collection of memorable moments, mysterious places I would like to check back (replay different routes or solve the ones that I couldn't first time), and overall an awesome and magical experience.
    The presentation is simply phenomenal (I LOVE the map but I love even more the sounds of every location...it's easy to get lost in the experience).

To be honest, while I was a great fan of choose your own adventures book when I was a kid, I was never that impressed with their digital port....not they were 'bad' per se but they lost, at least to me, their appeal and found them very boring, having to do the same things several times to proceed.
    This implementation changes everything...it feels much more an adventure/RPG than a choose your own adventure book, and I'm simply loving it.

Well done...looking forward to complete the first one and play the second one.
    I'll surely buy the next chapters on day one.

I have just two quirks:

1) Sometimes I can select for a spell letters that AREN'T light up....
    2) I really wish iCloud sync was implemented...I'm now playing two different games (one on iPhone, one on iPad)...but I make confusion between the two and I really wish they synced.

Overall, amazing (both on iPhone and iPad).

4. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Two playthroughs and, man, this is way more punishing than the first one. Really varied though and tons to explore so I'm already itching to get stuck into my third play. Now there is a mechanic here that
    allows you to go back while keeping a line you have found and I just haven't done that yet as I'd love to retain my stamina. I may end up going for that option eventually though.

I love that there are a few separate story threads going on throughout the city.

5. maztec

maztec New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Second Noble Moulas

I have been everywhere and I cannot find
    Second Noble Moulas
    . I have searched high and low, have followed the advice to
    stab everything that looks like a corpse
    . I have been to the
    Shrine of Slangg
    multiple times, but cannot find an answer to
    the Impossible Question
    anywhere even though I have received plenty of hints
    but not Clues that register in my Clue Book
    about the answer. I have been to the
    North Gate
    repeatedly and my
    base stamina is down to 10
    , but I still have not found
    Moulas
    anywhere.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I see no mention of GrailQuest on that list and felt it needed to be rectified! ;p

I would love Freeway Warrior and the other Mad Max style gamebook series (can't think of the name of it)!

7. Buzzit

Buzzit Member

Sep 16, 2013
    The Way of the Tiger series just finished its hardcover deluxe game book kickstarter. If only they would do an iOS version !

8. Elusivity

Elusivity New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I'm in exactly the same boat, although I'm surprised you got down to 10HP base, I'm at 17 and
    before I restarted the ghost told me my body couldn't take much more
    and it was the last time.

I'm getting quite frustrated at being unable to
    find Moulas
    , as the flow of the original books have changed... Generally it was more annoying to find and answer
    the Sage or Priest...

Inkle, or Aventador
    as you've found Moulas
    a little help here please?!?

9. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    i'm thinking of buying this but could someone clear something for me?

Do you need to play the first part to know what is going on? or there isn't any connections?

10. maztec

maztec New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I continued my low stamina profile from the first game.

I have also found a TON of bugs looking for
    Moulas
    . There are a lot of places where if you go around enough times back to where you were the game crashes or you cannot move anywhere. Also the
    Dice Monks Home
    crashes the game if you have played through all of the dialogue too fast.

It is maddening.

11. maztec

maztec New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    It is not necessary to play the first part, but you get some benefits from having done it - continued characters, existing equipment, etc. Plus the first one is fun as well. Also there are at least two points where knowing information from the first one lets you get unique results and escape difficult situations.

But no, not necessary, just highly recommended!

12. Elusivity

Elusivity New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Ahh fair enough. I've encountered the same bugs - where if you keep running around in circles you get stuck, and crashed while skipping through the dialogue. It's starting to really anger me too, If only we could save the current game and try afresh, I'm thinking maybe it's a bug because of the carried over content - as we both have?

13. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    great thanks for the info looks like i will be going to "episode 1" first

14. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe New Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 20, 2013
    For those having trouble getting Moulas' line, I think there are three ways to get it.

1) Answer the priest's "easy" question. That means you get Slangg as your god, but so what? Maybe you can replace him with Courga later on, I'm not sure.

2) Answer the "impossible" question.

HINT 1: At the beginning, at the place where the cart drops the blimberry juice, you have three possible paths (left, middle, right). Go on the
    middle path
    to find the answer.

HINT 2:
    You should try to get your fortune told.

FULL SPOILER:
    Talk to the poachers on the middle path. Get Sirisi to tell you your fortune, then offer to tell hers. When you have the crystal orb in hands, cast the FAR spell and you'll have a vision of you answering the impossible riddle.

3) You can find the line written on a piece of paper. Unfortunately, the note has been cut in two, and the two pieces can't be found in a single timeline, so you need to time-travel at least once to use this method!

Piece 1:

HINT 1: You'll find this one on Moulas.

HINT 2: From the start point, pick the
    middle path

FULL SPOILER:
    Pick the middle path and examine the corpse you immediately encounter. It wakes up as a weird mish mash of body parts: that's Moulas. Kill it. Search his throat for half of the note.

Piece 2:

HINT 1: That one is on the
    right-hand path

HINT 2:
    You shouldn't be in too much of a hurry if you want to find it.

FULL SPOILER:
    Pick the right-hand path. When offered, choose to stop to eat (YOU MUST HAVE RATIONS!). You'll get the option to look under the rock you've sat down on to eat. That's where you'll find the second half of the note.

I hope this helps.

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The game briefly recaps the purpose of your journey when you first start playing, but for the main part, yes, you should start at the beginning, as the books/games constitute four linked parts of one overarching story, with each one picking up from the exact point the last one left off.

Think of the game as being like Telltale's episodic The Walking Dead adventure: while you could jump in at episode two and piece together what has happened, it's best to start at the beginning to get the full picture. It's also worth taking the books in order because your items and decisions carry over from one to the next.

16. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey there! If you can send us any details of places where you ran out of options (or screenshots showing the path you took, that would super-helpful) then we can get these fixed. Email them through to inkle - at - inklestudios dot com. Thanks!

17. Elusivity

Elusivity New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks for this, while I wasn't able to figure out how to get back into the
    temple of slangg
    , on my refreshed second runthrough I figured out that you can actually
    get both pieces in the one run through!
    What you'll need to do is
    take the right hand path, eat the meal and get the note
    . Then moving on you need to
    enter the fields and back track around and down
    this will allow you to pass the
    poachers camp and travel back down to Moulas' corpse, which you can then fight and collect the remaining piece
    . This allows you to only lose
    a maximum of a single point of Max HP.
    Which is useful if you're like me and can't seem to find the path to
    the temple of Slangg again

18. Teras

Teras Member

Nov 20, 2012
    #78 Teras, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Great game loved the first loved the second one even more!! I keep re playing it to see it all. I have a question though if you know. I have a friend that plays it and he says he has a problem. Each time he tries to cast a spell it throws him out of the game. He is using an ipod touch 3g if that matters.

19. TheNorthernSkeptic

TheNorthernSkeptic New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Please, please, can anyone tell me how to find Theetah? I'm going crazy here.

20. kathode

kathode Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    #80 kathode, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    He is in
    the wasteland just outside the gate to the necropolis. Look for the steeple.

Along those lines, could someone give me a clue what to do in the masoleum? I've tried every spell I have and they all seem useless. The only one I can't use is SUN because I don't have a sun jewel. Do I need to find that?