Universal Sorcery! 2 - (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Very bad things happen if you choose to abandon Khare ; not necessarily in this part of game, but part 3 if you choose to save and use that in next part

2. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I have a question about continuing from Book 1. We have to enter our word in Book 2 which works and brings up what I think might be my last completion. Is there a way of finding what other completed saves I have before I begin Book 2?

3. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah because it obviously makes more sense to rope in social media than, I dunno, the whole system put in place by Apple for exactly the purpose you were aiming for. Yup definitely not there for advertising purposes.

It is a lovely looking game and thoroughly enjoyable though.

4. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Managed to locate my saves (turns out I had played on both my iPhone and iPad and had different saves on both) and have played some of this now. Inkle, you have outdone yourselves. It's so easy to see why this one needed time. The way the game brings you into more detailed maps is wonderful and it must have resulted in loads more work. Really excellent.

Not very far into it yet but already very impressed.

5. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    This is just so gorgeous. It plays like a dream and has been implemented absolutely perfectly. Well worth the wait.

Another vote for making the 'Tweet' option a little more discreet though; it's not nice having it there after every single scene.

Jamie

6. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I heard it mentioned in an earlier post that status bars are in the game. Is it possible to turn them off? Just wondering before I make a purchase. Thanks in advance.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's not, which isn't really very surprising, to be honest. There's really no way repeatedly prompting the player to submit the last thing they did to an external social media site they might not even be part of was ever going to be less intrusive or more rewarding than Apple's own well-established standard for recording achievements and high scores. Twitter is certainly not a replacement for GC; people like having all of their points and awards recorded in one place, both for their own gratification and for ease of comparison with others. There's a reason services like Crystal and OpenFeint have died out.

On the other hand, the game itself is fantastic and is easily GotW for me, if not the whole Y (taking the entire digital Sorcery! series as a whole). ;)

You can't disable the OS status bar in-game, no, which still feels like a strange oversight.

8. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Personally I like the os bar so I can keep track of time without paying the app or doig anything.

So I purchased the first after thinking about it since release but once this come out I decided of give the first a shot. Played for a while yesterday and I'm enjoying it, I can't read a book without being bored but I already have lots of memorable moments that stick in my head.

Just purchased number 2 even though I haven't completed 1! But I couldn't resist after the reviews ect but I think I'm going to complete 1 at least 2/3 times before I start 2.

As mentioned earlier then when I start 2 can I use any of my games from number 1 or just the most recent?

9. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    You can use any of your saves. It will give you little summaries of what you did and what you have so you can choose the one you want to start 2 with.

10. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Thank you that's good to hear, so I'm wondering if I'm best after I do a few plays for fun and enjoy the game to play again and save as much gold as possible to take over.

11. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Well I finished my first playthrough and, being honest, I did really badly. Wiped out a ton of supplies I had picked up in the previous adventure and gained almost nothing in the process. Took risks where I probably shouldn't have and few paid off. Loved it though - definitely much more to this than the previous one.

Time for another play!

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Awesome!

Now I just have to find my code from Book 1...

13. BeefJerky

Jun 4, 2009
    Experienced a bug earlier in the dice game - in one round, it seemed my dice were invisible. I totally had to guess what I had. Only happened in one round of one game and I have played a lot of the dice game so I have no idea what triggered it or how I could repeat it. It was on an iPhone 5 on iOS7 though, if that helps.

14. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report! We've had a few mentions of this: it seems to be a low-level, timing-based issue that only happens maybe 1/100 times, but we're looking into it.

Note you can continue the game by backing out to the map and then tapping your avatar again; that "refreshes" everything so your dice will come back!

15. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Game froze and crashed after trying to use spell on
    checking corpse of First noble that is on the street (zombie guy that comes to life) ; think option for spell use shouldn't be there when checking him ( I mean you have to slice him with sword to trigger his reanimation ) ? Spell used was Six if that matters.

16. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Thanks - we've caught this one already! It's that particular spell that causes the crash; it'll be fixed in the next version. Apologies!

17. Clockwork_bunny

Clockwork_bunny New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Khare spell lines?

I'd almost collected all of the spell lines expect for the noble who's an undead corspe and I'd even tried to visit the priest but I keep failing the impossible question. So can someone help me, please?

18. idub76

idub76 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Inkle, I love you guys. So much. These adaptations are just perfect in every single way. I love what TinMan are doing with FF, but what you guys are accomplishing with Sorcery! is truly next level for gamebooks on smart devices.

I played through this series more times than any other when I was a lad so it holds a really special place in my heart. Thanks for rekindling the flame.

19. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just a quick note to say, if you feel like leaving us an App Store review, please do: they're really helpful to us.

cheers!

20. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Should i pick this up even though i haven't played the first one yet?